•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Windows XP Won't log On

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

This is a first! I try to log onto any one of my kids user IDs on their XP system and it logs on and then off immediately! I have never seen this before...safe mode didn't help. Strange...Who knows what the kids have loaded on there but I'm stuck and must admit this is a new one for me...any ideas???

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:44 PM

Sounds like the Sasser virus or derivative. Can you log on as Admin?

#3 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:22 AM

Try the Safe Mode fix before recovery console.

Recovery console.

http://www.kellys-ko.../win_xp_rec.htm

Direct Bootup Without Typing Password.

http://www.kellys-ko...p_passwords.htm

Repair XP:

http://www.webtree.c... Configuration:

At the recovery prompt:
OR
(Safe Mode with Command Prompt).

C:\windows
type 'cd system32' the directory should now be
C:\windows\system32
type 'copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe'
1 file should be copied, now REBOOT.

-Start < Run < Regedit
- Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and change Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe"

...And if still unsuccessful..

Obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks free download.
(Requires Win XP CD)

http://support.micro...4&Product=winxp

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:01 AM

That did it. Thanks Apollo! (used Recovery console from the CD)

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:10 PM

:bow: Apollo! :bow: Phenomenal!!! Used the console commands. For the record, this fix will work when using an XP Pro CD to repair an XP Home installation. Thanks again Apollo!

-Funky McWilkerstein

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:40 PM

Tom L, or anyone else that had this specific problem.

I see your response to your problem that the recovery console worked when you were having a problem where windows xp would login for a second and then logoff, but what did you do in the recovery console? bootcfg, fixboot???

I have tried all of the safe modes and all of the user accounts, even the Administrator account and they all do the same thing. Let me know if you can.

I can rebuild the machine, but it sounds like there may be an easy fix that will prevent me from doing that.

#7 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

Slashrb67, I did exactly what Apollo posted from the recovery console cmd prompt. Boot to the CD and go to Recovery. your c: drive should be visible with appropriate directories and files. Then edit the registery entry as stated above. Work as advertised. hopefully your userinit.exe is not corrupted either...wouldn't be difficult.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the Reply, I did not see that portion, as I just followed the link under Recovery Console. I will try that.

Thanks again

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread like this but I have this same problem, I did this:

"At the recovery prompt:
OR

1 file should be copied, now REBOOT."

But when I reboot I still find myself in the log in-log out loop! I've looked on every site I could find about this problem and most of them give this solution so does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

#10 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:19 AM

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen..

http://www.theelderg...ended_logon.htm

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

I've also done this--

"At the recovery prompt:
OR

And Windows continues to log in and log off immediately.

I understand what you're saying Apollo11, but wouldn't you have to be able to actually get into windows first to bypass the log on screen?

Any ideas?

#12 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

1. Boot using your winxp cd.
2. Enter recovery console.
3. at the command prompt go to
C:/windows/system32
4. next type:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
5. exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet.

6. run regedit
7. find the Userinit key in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

8. modify the entry:
(Userinit key) C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

so that it reads:

(Userinit key) C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

#13 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

Good work, Apollo - despite the cheap suit on your avatar...you saved me a lot of typing... :grin:

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

I have the same problem but when I go to the Recovery Console, it says my administrator password is incorrect (which it isn't, I know that it is blank) so I can never get to the c prompt to try the fix. Do you have any ideas for that?

#15 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

Hmm, sounds like your Admin password is no longer blank. At this point you may have to reload Windows.

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hi there,

I just noticed this thread as I am trying to fix a very perplexed and frustrated friend's computer... I tried Apollo's tips as follows:

"At the recovery prompt:
OR

However, I still can't log on, therefore can't edit the registry OR set Windows to bypass the logon screen. Is there a way to run Regedit from the command prompt, or is there something I'm missing?

#17 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

get into safe mode and do a system restore to the last known good configuration... :grin:

How to start Windows XP in Safe mode

Situation:
You have encountered a problem in Windows XP, and you want to restart in Safe mode.

Solution:

There is more than one way to do this. The method that we recommend is presented first.

Recommended method:

Windows XP includes the System Configuration Utility. If you can start the computer normally into Windows, this is the easiest--and the recommended--way to restart the computer in Safe mode.

1) To configure the System Configuration Utility to start the computer in Safe mode:

Close all open programs.

Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.

Type "msconfig" and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility appears. Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK.

You then see the prompt to restart the computer. Click Restart.

The computer restarts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)

Note: When you finish with all troubleshooting (in Safe mode) repeat these steps and clear "/SAFEBOOT" then close all of the programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

2) To start Windows XP in Safe mode, single operating system:

Use this method if XP is the only operating system installed on your computer.

Start Windows, or if it is running, shut Windows down, and then turn off the computer.

Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process.

As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

Note: If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will generate a "keyboard error" message. Please restart, and then try again.

Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

:grin:

#18 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

....OR..

** If you are still unable to boot normally **

1. When computer restarts, press F8 to access Advanced Menu.

2. Use arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, press Enter.

3. Select operating system, press Enter.

4. "Safe Mode" screen will come up and then a login screen will appear, select Administrator.

You will come to another black screen with a blue bar across the top that says "cmd.exe". Note about CMD.EXE- This is a limited command line prompt, you must type exactly what you see. The letters "cd" stand for change directory and are followed by one space and then the directory name. Please use the key above the "Enter" key for the backslash character "\". Press Enter.

Type: cd c:\.
Press Enter. (The directory will then change to C:\>)

Type: cd windows.
Press Enter. (Directory will now change to c:\windows>)

Type: cd system32.
Press Enter. (Directory will change to C:\windows\system32>)

Type: cd restore.
Press Enter. (Directory changes to c:\windows\system32\restore)

Type: rstrui.exe.
Press Enter. (Note: do not type in cd this time.)

The "System Restore" screen will now come up. It will say "Welcome to System Restore".

Restore my computer to an earlier time will be selected, click Next.

Click on a bold date which was **BEFORE** the day your pc was having problems and click Next.

The confirmation screen will appear, click Next.

The computer will begin the restore process, and will restart.

When the computer boots up, you will see a message which says "Restoration Complete", click OK.

#19 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:16 PM

Hey Duke,
Don't know if this is still an ongoing issue with you, but I have an emergency boot disk that will do TONS of stuff. Among these many options is the ability to reset the admin password. I use it infrequently for just this type of case.

Here is the website:

http://www.ebcd.pcministry.com/

The software creates a bootable CD, though I think that diskettes can be created.

I have found that, per the instructions, resetting the admin password to blank works better than trying to change it to another value. Once you reset it to blank, you can change it from within windows.

Admins: As far as I am aware, this site isn't a hack and crack site, and I have used this CD for legitimate purposes for years now. If you feel that this link violates the TOS in any way, please contact me and I will delete the post.

Regards,

Gary

#20 evangelion

evangelion

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

i'm having this problem now.

i have done everything above but...

even after copying the files in the recovery console, it still won't allow me to log on, even through safe mode i cannot log on as an administrator, therefore can't access the registry to update the line as above...

how can i get round this? system recovery won't work, i've tried that, as won't reboot from last known good setup...

help

#21 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:11 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

You may want to try the "repair" facility (accessed by booting from the Win XP source CD), but note that this is not particularly user-friendly, and operates from a command line prompt.

The underlying issue is, "What caused this glitch?" There are many ways this an happen: viruses, spybots, rootkits, etc., or just Windows proclivity for self-cannibalism - this is much reduced with XP, however.

I suspect that the most effective way to restore is to reinstall Win XP. Next, download Zone Alarm, and get it running (freeware).

Download and install all the Microsoft updates.

Then, immediately thereafter, install anti-virus software (I recommend AVG - a reduced version is freeware) and anti-spyware (Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search and Destroy, both freeware). Run all three.

Not only do you want to restore XP, but also eliminate the source of the problem.

#22 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

First try restoring the backup file from CD, as Rusty said. The secondary one may have been compromised also...simple matter of thoroughness on the part of the creetin who did this to begin with.

#23 denodan

denodan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:15 AM

Don't have different accounts on XP I have heard if you have problems like this it's very hard to recover from. To avoid these problems then avoid different ID's.

I have heard this is not recommended on XP, even though it is set up for multi ID's, because of the problems you mention that can happen with XP, and somtimes the only way to recover is a Whole HD format.

#24 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

A reformat of the HDD is not required ( but that's the reason every PC I build and ship has the HDD partitioned, so if reformatting, as a last resort, is needed, no data is lost).

See if you can bum an MS-DOS startup diskette from someone, then the windows folder (a "directory" under MS-DOS) can be deleted.

But before deleting, copy your personal files to anything - a CD, another HDD (it will have to be physically installed into the PC). I wrote a little app that automated the sanitization process for Win98 (named enema.bat in honor of Willie Gates), but haven't seen the need to write one for XP. (Maybe it's time...)

#25 Mike Casey

Mike Casey

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:14 AM

Just reading the title of this thread is enough to make me break into a cold sweat and feel faint.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics