•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Windows XP Won't log On

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#26 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

You might try this (it's shareware - if it works, $35 is a bargain). It's not particularly user-friendly, but any serious IT admin should be able to walk you through it.

#27 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

First try restoring the backup file from CD, as Rusty said. The secondary one may have been compromised also...simple matter of thoroughness on the part of the creetin who did this to begin with.

Or......:grin:

http://www.kellys-ko...p_passwords.htm

#28 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

bump

#29 Infinity 8o

Infinity 8o

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

I'm having the same problem, ive moved over the files im suposed to in recovery console, but when i try to log on the same happends, how do i ''turn off'' the logon window when i cant even get in :/
Please help, i dont want to format and i cant repair install (HP Recovery disks) :(
:tonofbricks:

#30 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

If you boot into Safe mode, you'll have the ORIGINAL "Administrator" account available at the login screen (No password default if you did not set one up).

If that don't work, and you have access to another computer, look into "BartPE". Make yourself a Self-Bootable, Window XP CD. (Similar to the boot disk you can make for Win98). This will allow you to boot into the machine, and check out the hard drive ect... You just need to create the boot-disk with all the Programs you'll need (Virus scanner, adware remover, etc...)

#31 ozzmosis

ozzmosis

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

if you still can t log on as admin , you can try locksmith from winternals its got plenty of tools too for almust any disaster

#32 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

boot into Safe mode and select last known good config.. :grin:

#33 Smoyf

Smoyf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having the same problem and this came thread came up when I was researching it.

So here's my problem, and I'm fairly sure it's a virus.

I have windows XP, and I can't even log in. I click my username and type in my password, it goes to my wallpaper for a second (sometimes it wont even go to my wallpaper) and then it immediately logs it out. I tried logging in on safe mode and with both my account and the administrator account and still I have the same problem.

I'm sure it's a virus because just yesterday I thought my cousin downloaded something sketchy, so I ran Malwarebytes anti-malware and it came up with a bunch of viruses, some of them it could not delete and said it would delete them upon restart. I restart and it won't delete the files, in fact my computer won't even start up past the log in screen, I log in and see my wallpaper and it just hangs there indefinitely until I turn off the computer, and the 2nd time it will log in. I went into safe mode and ran the scan again and this time the same thing came up with it needing to restart to delete the files, so I also ran McAfee virus scan and it picked up the files and quarantined them. I restarted and bam I have the problem that I first described above where I cannot even log in now.

I've tried to follow StarWars' instructions, and I can get into the recovery console just fine from booting from my XP cd and can navigate to the system32 folder (even though for some reason it's on D:\ all of a sudden when windows has always been on C:\) but when I type 'copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe' it says that it cannot find the file. I did a dir and browsed through and couldn't find either userinit.exe or wsaupdater.exe in the folder. I also tried rebooting from last known good configuration in the safe mode menu and that didn't work either.

I then created a bartPE bootdisk, booted up with it, and ran a virus scan. It picked up some trojans and deleted them but it didn't fix my problem. Can anyone help me on what I should do next?

I need help, I really don't want to reformat! Any help is appreciated.

#34 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

Shotgun approach, barring a more sensible and elegant solution, would be to re-install windows without formatting (repair the installation). This will leave your data intact and allow you to make a proper backup before you do a proper format and re-install. Do you have another machine that you can slave the drive to to scan it? No guarantees that won't bork the installation tho... there's risk either way.

dave

#35 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Try an admistrator login...

#36 Smoyf

Smoyf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

Try an admistrator login...

I did and it didn't work.

#37 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Linky

#38 Smoyf

Smoyf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

Linky

OK, I did all of that in the recovery console and I restart the comp. When it goes to the logon screen I notice that the resolution has changed to the lowest and my user account is gone and the only account there is administrator. I type in my password, and I'm stuck right back where I started. Logs in and immediately logs out. Tried it in safe mode too and same problem.

W
T
F

#39 Smoyf

Smoyf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

OK I just fixed my problem.

I got onto bartPE and then copied the userinit.exe from the cd into c:\windows\system32 and that allowed me to sign on. I guess the virus had deleted that file, which wasn't allowing me to log in. Once on I was able to deal with the virus. It sounds so simple but this was like the 15th thing I tried lol never want to go through that again.

Thanks for your help everyone

#40 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

Glad you got it working!

Now, I'd like to take a moment to Welcome you to Cloudy Nights! Glad you found the site, & got the needed help to get your computer up & running!

#41 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Great------- what I find interesting is the guys that write and launch these virus programs could be making BIG BUCKS using their programming and system knowledge-- that just shows how "really" dumb and stupid they happen to be!

#42 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

For most of these guys it is the challenge to thump MS.

Smoyf, glad to see you were able to recover. I hope you put some safeguards in place to protect yourself. I would also recommend a complete image backup at this point and then on a weekly basis. External USB drives are so cheap these days that doing a backup should be a piece of cake.

Hopefully there will be a "Time Machine" application available to the Windows masses soon. Apple got that application right!

#43 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Windows XP Pro supports a scheduled backups. The problem is most people just don't use it. XP Home will also support full backups if the ntbackup.exe is copied from the system32 directory of a XP Pro PC.

#44 stefsaber

stefsaber

Aurora

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

So CN has some weird ways to lure back MIA posters...I really haven't posted around since Christmas and yet while looking for ways to fix my parent's computer I stumble across this wonderful thread on google! ;)

Thanks to all who've posted in here, I was ready to format the drive till I saw these solutions, had to go the long way through it all but in the end its running again!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics