•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 15x50 IS - quick impression.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:47 AM

Well, I had a chance to have a quick look through a pair of the 15x50s today. I was thinking of something a little different to complement my small 7x50s and large 22x60s.

I was observing down George Street in Sydney. The first thing I noticed was on axis chromatic abberation. Admittedly I was looking for it but was suprised to find it on axis. The object was a white painted flag pole against the blue sky background.

Slight field curvature and the AFOV did not seem as wide as I had expected since I am use to looking at 46-52 degrees normally. They were very good when looking at low contrast objects but given all of the excellent reviews stating APO performance etc. they just don't seem to better the Fuji 7x50s and definitely not the Tak 22x60s.

I am very impressed with these binoculars and would almost consider buying a pair except for this CA thing. Can anyone else confirm if this is normal?

Cheers, Craig

#2 11steve

11steve

Vostok 1

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:42 AM

Hi Craig,

I noticed CA with the 18x50 Canon IS more than with the 15x50 model. But when the real hard conditions of view come together (high contrast objects, humid air and bright light) almost every binocular shows CA. I saw it even on axis with much more expensive binoculars than the Canon is such as e.g. Swarovski EL 10x42.

Steve

#3 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

Craig,

That is why I purchased the new Canon 12x36 IS II's since it should have much less CA along with being smaller and much lighter. They only have 60° AFOV but it is still a nice wide view. I wish I had them when I was on vacation in Sydney in Nov of 2001. We stayed at the Marriott on Pitt St and loved it. :cool:

Clear skies,
Joe

#4 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

Hi Steve and Joe.

I guess to be fair I should have taken my Fujis and compared them at the same time. I will do it soon. I must say it did suprise me and from memory with the other binocs it was not what I am use to seeing.

Hope they don't move that flag pole.

Now the price is the other issue. AUD$2200 new. I saw a set on AM for USD$650 in excellent condition. Might try and pick them up second hand.

Joe I will try the 12x36 as you suggest.

Cheers, Craig.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:15 AM

Hi Craig down there under,

I have been pleased with my Canon 12x36 IS II. They can get heavy enough for me for long viewing, so I'm glad I didn't go heavier. There is also the added strain on the hand of having to keep holding down the IS button.

Best,
Doug

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

I've been a long time lurker on the site, but I just registered yesterday. I guess I'm getting "serious" about this.

I just ordered the Canon 15x50's from Amazon yesterday. Their price of $799, before a $100 mail in Canon rebate and a free $50 Amazon gift card certainly soften the sting -- enough so that I justified overnight shipping!

I compared the Nikon 14x40 Stabileyes and Canon 15x50 and 18x50 IS binocs and tried them extensively, back to back to back, indoors and out. The Canon's seemed a bit brighter (as they should be at 15x50 vs. 14x40), sharper, they are more compact although perhaps a bit less robust, and thanks to more heavy discounting, they cost about $200 less. The Canons are more highly regarded in the various enthusiast sites as well (both the birders and the astroheads love 'em). The Canon 18's cost $200 more than the 15's, and seemed just a bit "jitteryier" (is that a word?). I am planning to use these for daytime aircraft spotting as well as the night sky, so the 18's just seemed a "bit much" for my needs. The 15's seemed perfect.

Looking forward to receiving these beauties!

Cheers,

Dave

#7 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have owned the Canon IS 15 X 50's for 2 years, and they are great, and of course they have great portability. Plus, you got a great price deal!

I noticed some discussion on this thread about various problems using them outside in daylight. In my opinion, they are fine outside in the daylight, but for my concerns, they are great/best for astronomy.

Right now, I tend to get maximum use with my big binos, but that is because of the extra light gathering and power. However, I would never part with my Canon 15 X 50's.

Have fun,

AJ

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:49 AM

Dave,

A little off topic but how did you get the $50 Amazon gift card with the purchase of the Canon 15x50's? I searched but couldn't find this deal.

thanks...Ron

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

Dave,

Amazon Coupon...

Disregard, I just found it. Ron

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

They came today. Initial reaction after the first 10 minutes -- they're TERRIFIC!! They are a joy to behold and use.

Another pleasant surprise. The binocs came with two years of extended warranty from Canon free -- three years in total. I wasn't expecting that, but it was in the box when it arrived. Cheers to them!

I've got the $100 rebate paperwork already mailed.

Looking forward to lots of fun with these binculars.

Dave

#11 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

Dave,

I remember my own joy when first using them. Note, they go through batteries somewhat quickly, but not at all bothersome. I only mentioned it so you will know to keep extras available during viewing sessions.

Have a lot of fun,

AJ

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

I've had these binocs (Canon 15x50 IS) for two weeks now and am regretting my purchase . . . .

. . . . regretting that I didn't buy them years ago, that is!

So far I have put them to work for aircraft spotting, watching hawks soar high overhead, looking at the moon, and general observation of distant terrain. These are by far the best optical instrument I've ever had the pleasure to use. The Image Stabilizer feature is truly outstanding. It allows you to really reach in on astounding views, and enjoy them with rock solid stability.

For example, to focus in on a Boeing 747 that is still 5 miles out on final appoach, and clearly watch it extend its landing gear in all its glory of doors opening, wheels articulating, and doors closing . . . then enjoy watching it float through the air until WHOOOOOOSH it's upon you, is awe-inspiring! And fun!

Thanks to all who chimed in with their thoughts previously. I'm thrilled with these.

Cheers to Canon for a job well done!

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics