•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion RV-6 telescope - CL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

Really nice, with original drive corrector but no finderscope....:(

http://sfbay.craigsl.../295838223.html

Da Bear

#2 chascar

chascar

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:52 AM

that looks like a great old scope and the corrector is interesting.

#3 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

and a VERY good price....cheaper than a 6" Chinese dob!

It appears the finderscope bracket is there; finding a substitute finder should be fairly easy.

This scope will make somebody VERY happy; were I in the Bay area, I'd be on my way over....

Clear skies,

Jim

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

>>>It appears the finderscope bracket is there; finding a substitute finder should be fairly easy.
----

I see old RV-6 parts every so often on AM. I use a 30mm Celestron finder on mine and keep the original packed away. The Celestron fits nicely. The original is plenty good but the field of view is narrow.

Jon

#5 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Astromart had a finder for sale, new in the box just a few days ago.
Bonco

#6 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

Yep, it's now on my RV-6 thank you very much. :jump:

#7 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Ok...Glad that worked outfor you.
Bonco

#8 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

I would just buy a 50mm finder and a bracket and bolt it on. I found a 30mm finder to be frustrating because it wouldn't show stars well enough from light polluted areas. A 50mm finder made starhopping much easier for me. As for the drive corrector, it is used for photography. They work by varying the frequency of the electrical power going to the clock drive's motor since a synchronous motor merely stalls below a threshold voltage. It looks like a good buy because I had a 6-inch Meade similar to this one. The mountings may have been heavy, but they were stable and the clock drives certainly worked well enough for visual observing. Many of the older members here no doubt got their start on telescopes like this one.

Taras

#9 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

Many of the older members here no doubt got their start on telescopes like this one.

Taras

hey now! I resemble that remark!

My buddy got one and sucked me into this hobby. We ticked off both our respective parental units because they simply didn't quite get science geeks. Yes moms and dads, it is actually possible your sons will actually be spending their time out to all hours of the night...just looking at stars. Really!

Those times we came in early were the times you should worry about, that's when all toilet papering and other foolery went on.

Anyhow, the RV6 was a great little scope and I still remember each detail of it...nice solid mount for an inexpensive scope too.

#10 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:16 PM

Many of the older members here no doubt got their start on telescopes like this one.

Taras

hey now! I resemble that remark!

My buddy got one and sucked me into this hobby. We ticked off both our respective parental units because they simply didn't quite get science geeks. Yes moms and dads, it is actually possible your sons will actually be spending their time out to all hours of the night...just looking at stars. Really!

Those times we came in early were the times you should worry about, that's when all toilet papering and other foolery went on.

Anyhow, the RV6 was a great little scope and I still remember each detail of it...nice solid mount for an inexpensive scope too.

Yup, I'm nearly 60 now but I can still remember my parent's dismay when they came to realize that I'd rather spend the night observing from the back yard (with my 6" Cave) than do the things the other kids in the neighborhood were up to.

#11 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

I'm one of the yonger, older members here. hehehe !
I bought my RV6 with paper route money in 1961. It's restored almost like new and I treasure it. Glad I've hung on to it for over 40 years.
Bonco

#12 Gilles Grosgurin

Gilles Grosgurin

Vostok 1

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hello, I’m new to this group!

I'm the lucky guy that picked up the old Criterion RV-6 Dynascope circa 1973 with original clock drive and A.R. 9mm and 18mm eyepieces this weekend. It also has the original declination slow motion control add-on. Everything is in working order and good condition. The clock drive runs on 110V AC power so an inverter is needed to run it on DC. What’s great is that I was able to purchase along with the RV-6 the original Criterion variable frequency drive corrector for this telescope. The drive corrector is in excellent condition and came with its original box. The drive corrector can be run off 110V AC or 12V DC (e.g. car battery, cigarette lighter). The telescope clock drive can be plugged into the AC outlet on the back of the corrector's base unit. The hand panel of the drive corrector has a dial for fine tuning the speed of the clock drive plus fast and slow buttons on the side.

Now the optics, after 34 years there was some dust but still minimal, I was told the primary mirror had never been touched and I went ahead and cleaned the optics. I’ve gotten some excellent cleaning product from Astro-Physics and with a bit of time and delicate cleaning, it came out fantastic, I followed the same procedure for the secondary! The tube showed some signs of wear as to be expected in an older scope so I went ahead and removed the primary, the focuser, finder bracket and spider. I went ahead with a light cleaning for the outside and determined that a light sanding and spray painting would do the tube a favor! It came out great! I used a light beige color with gloss finish, looks brand new!

Now onto to the mount, I carefully took it apart, cleaned the shaft and counterweight and removed most parts. Cleaned it all up, re-installed the gear, lubed it up and after a bit of fiddling around got myself a very solid mount!

Now onto to the pier, I cleaned it up but frankly it’s not up to my standards! What do you guys suggest? I know it’s a pier and that it’s cosmetic look isn’t the most important, but I’m unsure as to what to do!

So here are the questions

#1: What should I do to the pier?

#2: Has anyone else got the same setup (with the drive corrector)?

#3: The telescope is missing the original finder scope, anyone has any idea where I could find an original Criterion finder scope!

I will take a few pics tomorrow but I need to wait until the paint totally dries before mounting on the rings! Also I misplaced my laser collimator, so 1st light is a few days away!

It still has been a very enjoyable Sunday and did bring me back to my youth ... however I spent most of my time drooling at the advertising and never got quite the money to purchase one. A friend of the family had one so I always looked forward to going and visit them.... 30 years later and I finally got myslef an RV6 !

#13 mjs

mjs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

I'd love to see any detailed photos of the manual dec. slow motion setup you might happen to make. I have one of the mounts and would be interested to see what I could fabricate for mine.

#14 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

Congrats. You have a fine scope with some extras that are very useful.

I'd suggest you advertise on the swap and shop forum and astromart that you need an original finder. I think it best to keep hardware original plus the original finder is very functional.
The pier should be easy to repaint, gray was the original color. The aluminum legs will likely need to be stripped then repainted. My pier is now flat black and looks good in my opinion, but not original.

I repainted my optical tube long ago and it was sticky so once the paint is completely dry you might want to wax the paint. Replace the felt on the rings if worn out.

I've only recoated my 1961 RV-6 mirrors once and I'm sure that was over 20 years ago. The coating is still just fine.
Let me know if I can be of any help as I've been an advocate for the venerable RV6 for several decades.
Bonco

#15 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Here is the mount ask him if he has the scope!
Bill
http://tinyurl.com/26tpqs

#16 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

Here is a unitron finder that may work?
http://tinyurl.com/ytx54d

#17 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

When I was looking for a Criterion finder for my RV-6 I found that Don had one. I didn't buy it because I found a new one on Astromart. He may still have it and if it's not on the list call or email him. He has alot of parts and alot of collectible scopes for sale too. Good luck.-Ken

http://astronomy-mal...etrade/list.htm

#18 chascar

chascar

Messenger

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

Great grab and I hope you have much fun with that beauty as for painting the pier I used a hammer gray spray paint. if you go to the Yahoo group the exact brand and link may be in the archives. clear skies

#19 Gilles Grosgurin

Gilles Grosgurin

Vostok 1

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for everbody's help. I located a finder, I have the paint for the pier or order, still needs to be collimated and have to redo the flet on the rings. I will post detail photos soon!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics