•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Defork a RCX400

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#26 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

If you are that concerned, give them some charity here:

http://www.meade4m.c...op/09400-1.html

:)

Trust me Joe. They have ample support from me. Just thinking it over:

ETX 80
ETX 80 Astro
LX200 8"
LX200 10"
LX200 14" UHTC GPS
5" achro on LXD 55
6" achro on LXD 75
10" SN
LXD 650
PST
2 of those EQ Newts on special
ED 102
ED 127
RCX 10"
LX200 14" OTA
2 - 12" LX200Rs
4 - 10" LX200Rs
The UWA collection
and just a flaming ton of accessories.

I'm ok with them. Now, if everybody would pitch in and buy like that there would be no problem.

#27 gillmj24

gillmj24

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

Yes that was mostly a joke. Their percent profit on the hats might be more than any of their telescopes though! :lol:

#28 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

I know that Joe. It just triggered a thought on what I had spent with them.

I'm trying to get the money together for another hat right now. The last one I got had white flecks and styrofoam looking stuff on the aperture end and the bill wasn't non-reflective or baffled.

#29 Frankv

Frankv

Middle Kid

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

I know that Joe. It just triggered a thought on what I had spent with them.

I'm trying to get the money together for another hat right now. The last one I got had white flecks and styrofoam looking stuff on the aperture end and the bill wasn't non-reflective or baffled.

To Collimate a meade supplied hat, you must have access to the following tools:

1) a mirror hung at approximately eye level.
2) at least one finger with an opposing thumb.

Occasionally users might find it helpful to have collimation partner to observe the process. This individual can be used in place of the Mirror, however the mirror is the accepted norm.

Place hat on top of head, (the bill should be torward the floor and the top of the cap, should be pointed at the zenith.

While looking in the mirror, place your index finger on top of the bill of the cap and then place your thumb on the bottom of the bill of the cap. Apply enough pressure with the thumb so that the finger / thumb collimation tool does not slip.

Then while looking in the mirror (or at your collimation partner), slide the bill of the cap, to the left and to the right. Continue the process until the center of the bill of the cap appears to be centered with your nose. If you are looking into a mirror, cross your eyes, your hat should apppear to be centered on your forehead. Then have your collimation partner slap you up side the head: as your vision clears, the position of the cap should appear to be the same as the it was when you crossed your eyes.

If you should have any problems collimating your new hat please call Meade Customer Support between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm PST.

Thank you for your interest in our hats.

#30 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

Everything was going well until she slapped me. I said an ugly. I then called Meade support. This was after the third collimation attempt. The call was made at 9:45 this morning. I'm still on hold........... :foreheadslap: :help:

#31 Frankv

Frankv

Middle Kid

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Check out our new, automated, email based help desk. Please post your collimation questions online.

When posting questions please provide the following information:

1) Color of Hat.
2) Original date of purchase.
3) Do you have hair-assurance? (see below)
4) Your experience level in wearing hats; (beginner, intermediate, experienced)

Extend your warrantee past one year with Hair-assurance. Options exist for 1 2 and 5 years of extended technical support for your hat. Ask about our 2 way shipping option.

#32 Frankv

Frankv

Middle Kid

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

I then called Meade support. This was after the third collimation attempt. The call was made at 9:45 this morning. I'm still on hold........... :foreheadslap: :help:

Perky Female Voice

Thank you for calling Meade Hat technical support line. A representative will be with you in a moment.

Brief pause,

Deep male voice

……..known fact is that hats where originally invented by early Neanderthals that suffered from Male Pattern Baldness.

Inquisitive Female voice

Really, but this isn’t the only thing you have found in your studies is it doctor?

Deep male voice

Ha Ha, no. In fact our earliest records indicate that the hat was not intended as protection from the elements until early Pharonic times. I think that even the most seasoned hat wearer would be surprised to find that it wasn’t until the Greeks acquired Hat Technology from the Egyptians that the Hat actually became a fashion statement. But the most stunning revelation in Hat science is……….

Way too Perky Female Voice

Did you know that there is more than one type of hat? There are Baseball caps, cowboy hats, Bowlers and fedoras, just to name a few. At Meade Hats, we have an entire range of hats in all shapes and sizes. Call your local distributor or go to our web site at www .Meadehats. com. A representative will be with you shortly.

Deep male voice

………originally invented by early Neanderthals that suffered from Male Pattern Baldness.

Inquisitive Female voice

Really, but this isn’t the only thing you have found in your studies is it doctor?

Deep male voice

In fact our earliest records indicate that the hat was not intended as protection from the elements until early Pharonic times. I think that even the most seasoned hat wearer would be surprised to find that it wasn’t until the Greeks acquired Hat Technology from the Egyptians that the Hat actually became a fashion statement. But the most stunning revelation………

Click…….puta… puta… puta…….Click

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

#33 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

Absolutly perfect Frank.

I see someone other than me devoted considerable moments of thier life to.............. oh, never mind.

#34 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:52 AM

But are you sure it really is technically a hat. Apparently Ritchey-Chretien Hats have filed a lawsuit against Meade for unlimited damages for passing off their product! ;)

#35 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:26 AM

...but I want to know how you take it off! :question:

Keith

#36 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:45 AM

You have to get a Meade engineer out to come and do a site visit. :foreheadslap:

Okay I'll stop now! ;)

#37 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

To the Members of Cloudy Nights

Dear Sirs:

We at Meade Inc. have been following this thread with some interest, as have our lawyers, and we wish to inform you all officially that, due to certain threats from someone representing the estate of Lewis Carroll, we are no longer referring to our headgear products as "hats" (it appears that the Mad Hatter has secured copyright protection for this term). We ask you, please, to refer henceforth to our headgear products as "haberdashery," and we can assure you that Meade can indeed provide you with haberdashery in your back yard.

As for the participation in this thread by Mr. Jerry Wise, we would like to thank Mr. Wise for making it possible for us to give Christmas bonuses to all of our employees over the years and would like to suggest here that if Mr. Wise would consider our twenty inch RCX on a Max Mount next Christmas will be even better.

Yours most sincerely,

Ricardo Carlos Xavier
Chief Marketing Executive for the Meade RCX

#38 Frankv

Frankv

Middle Kid

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Curtain opens:

Scene is a red-lit warm-room there is a table with a coffee urn stage left.
On stage are two astronomers getting a cup of coffee,

Astronomer 1: So, did you decide what headgear you are going to purchase?

Astronomer 2: Yea, flipping through Sky & Telescope & Headgear, I saw an ad for Meade’s new Hat. I think I am going to try one. (Takes sip of coffee and grimaces at the taste)

Astronomer 1: (startled look on face) You gota be kidding, that’s not a REAL hat, it has earflap corrector plates.

Astronomer 2: (stunned look on face in response to Astronomer 1) It’s just a name, chill dude.

Astronomer 1: (sets coffee cup down and starts to wave finger at Astronomer 2) No. A Hat provides 360 degree, edge-to-edge protection, for the head. And furthermore, it does this without the use of earflaps. Adding the earflaps makes this nothing more than a modified – CAP.

Astronomer 2: Look, what matters is that Meade’s HAT provides 360 degree head protection and that makes it a HAT.

Astronomer 1: No way…. A hat is a headgear design; just because the Meade HAT does the same thing does not make it a real HAT.

Astronomer 2: Your getting caught up in semantics, and at the end of the day its, the 360-degree protection for the head that count.

Astronomer 1:So by your logic, I can call my cooler a refrigerator, just because both keep my soda cold?

Astronomer 2: Dude, why are you getting so worked up over this?

Astronomer 1: Because it’s misleading, what they are passing off, as a hat is not a true hat!

The next day a new thread is opened on Cloudy Nights…………….

#39 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

To the Members of Cloudy Nights

Dear Sirs:

We at Meade Inc. have been following this thread with some interest, as have our lawyers, and we wish to inform you all officially that, due to certain threats from someone representing the estate of Lewis Carroll, we are no longer referring to our headgear products as "hats" (it appears that the Mad Hatter has secured copyright protection for this term). We ask you, please, to refer henceforth to our headgear products as "haberdashery," and we can assure you that Meade can indeed provide you with haberdashery in your back yard.

As for the participation in this thread by Mr. Jerry Wise, we would like to thank Mr. Wise for making it possible for us to give Christmas bonuses to all of our employees over the years and would like to suggest here that if Mr. Wise would consider our twenty inch RCX on a Max Mount next Christmas will be even better.

Yours most sincerely,

Ricardo Carlos Xavier
Chief Marketing Executive for the Meade RCX

and I've been worried about when we would get shut down by a moderator on this. Just look-a-here. We been moderated in the best possible way.

As to the Max-Mount. I am seriously interested in trying that out as well as deforking an RCX. I understand there is a new promotional program inspired by the Flame Nebula exceeding a Hubble in your backyard. It's the "Dream System Introduction".

Yes, it's true, the ultimate integrated system. Many complained about integrated electronics. Engineers have compined the dew removal with cooling fans moving them off instrument. NASA space craft technology provides deicing and dew removal from propeller tips and now you can have it too. With the purchase of any Maxmount Dream System the automated cooling and dew removal device will be included for a limited time as an introductory offer.

The new "Dream System Introduction" deal also combines the much anticipated Meadee hat modified for DSI Pro(peller) use. Please.... limited time offer. Not available to other than customer Alpha Testers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1501045-Beenieumb.jpg

#40 Frankv

Frankv

Middle Kid

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

FAQ

Meadee DSI Pro(peller)

Q: I started my Fan / dew removal system, and the fan began to run at erratic speeds; eventually it nearly lifted the Haberdashery off my head.

A: You are experiencing Fan / dew removal system “Run-on”. Turn off the system, and then turn back on. When the welcome message appears, hit 999 or 666 on the key pad. Select system reset. The Haberdashery should run fine. If for any reason this does not solve the problem, please call or email technical support. (see posts above)

----------------

Q: Will this Haberdashery help me pick up girls?

A: No, but perhaps you would be interested in Hair-assurance? (see post above)

-----------------

Q: To set the goto, do I have to be Polar aligned?

A: Polar Alignment is only necessary for Haberdashery based photography. For visual Haberdashery use, pointing the Haberdashery toward magnetic north and using our two star Haberdashery alignment will provide near perfect gotos.

-----------------

Q: How can I become an Alpha tester?

A: A clear tolerance for pain must be demonstrated.

-----------------

Q: How can I get a DSI Pro(peller)?

A: Visit any of our authorized Meadee Haberdashery’s, or wait 6 weeks and look for Jerry’s on Haberdashery-mart.

-----------------

Q: Are you sure this Haberdashery won’t help me pick up girls?

A: Sorry, no. Hair-assurance has a two-way shipping option. Sure we can’t tempt you?

#41 gillmj24

gillmj24

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

Mods I am sorry, I didn't know what I would stir up by posting about the hats!
:lol:

#42 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

If Albert Einstein could deliberately pose for a photograph with his tongue stuck out, I think we mere mortals in the Meade forum can cut up a bit now and then, don't you?

#43 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

Reading the latest posts is the first time this site has had me crying with laughter!

Fantastic stuff, I take my hat off to you (don't worry I had an engineer out)! ;)

#44 Frankv

Frankv

Middle Kid

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

...but I want to know how you take it off! :question:

Keith

To remove a Meade haberdashery from its mount, please see instructions below.

Disclaimer: Meade haberdashery are designed as an integrated system and once placed on the mount the haberdashery is not designed to be removed. The Company assumes no liability for any damage to the haberdashery or the Mount (head) created by removal from the mount.

Tools required:

1) Finger with opposing thumb.
2) A mirror hung at eye level
3) De-mounting partner

Optional:

1) Comb or brush
2) Hair Gel, or mouse

Place the index finger on the top of the bill of the haberdashery. (Lawyers…..) :shakecane:

Close hand until the thumb rests on the underside of the bill of the haberdashery in line with the index finger.

With the arm and wrist lift up the bill of the haberdashery until the haberdashery has cleared the Mount (head).

NOTE: Remove the haberdashery in a straight upward motion. Failure to do this will disturb the collimation of the haberdashery. (See earlier post on Collimation for details)

Look into mirror or at your De-Mounting Partner. When using the mirror, if the Hair looks disturbed, or when using a de-mounting partner if there is sidesplitting laughter, work on the mount is now suggested.

Note: It is not required to clear off the mount; however good mount grooming is necessary for the long term care of the mount. It also avoids embarrassing moments: like that of children pointing and members of the opposite **** laughing at you.

For further details on mount grooming, please see your instruction manual.

Please call or email technical support with any questions regarding this procedure.

Damage to the haberdashery or mount is not covered by Hair-assurance.

#45 Dave LoPresti

Dave LoPresti

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

I think there would need to be a study done on all these poor forks that will be put out of work. Where will they go? Can they be trained for other duties?
Just imagine, on the street corner there will be groups of forks congregating. They will be rotating back and forth getting all twisted while holding signs that read, "forks have feelings too" or "will work, for a while". :p
My LX200 forks have been sitting in my basement unused for 2 years since I pulled the OTA from it. I think I can still hear it weeping. :bawling:

#46 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

I have a set of LX200GPS forks sitting around collecting dust. Every so often just for fun I attach things to the forks.

Posted Image

#47 Galaxy001

Galaxy001

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

Marcus, that is an awesome setup! How many forks do you have? You could set up all of them to be specialized at certain tasks.

#48 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

I only have the one set of GPS forks, but I have 2 ETX-90 forks. I thinking about attaching one of the PSTs to the ETX90 forks.

#49 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:01 AM

Marcus is there any kit you haven't got? Well you give me something to aspire to anyway! ;)

#50 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

HEY!!!!! I started a thread a couple weeks back looking for a set of forks!!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics