•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Differences between Synta refractors ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2003 - 06:40 AM

As far as I understand most of the major commercial brands of telescopes have in their lines Synta produced economic refractors. What I do not really understand is why companies like Orion and Konus get constantly much better reviews over essentially the same product as for instance from Skywatcher ? I realize tha the mechanism and mount are important (the Skywatcher 120EQ comes with an EQ5, whereas the same orion with an EQ3, the former should be better.) and the quality of the entire construction, but there seem to be some laments regarding the optics as well. Any ideas or clarifications are welcomed.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 13 July 2003 - 08:12 AM

There are other Chinese factories in addition to Synta. Celestron has used Synta (CG-5, 5" and 6" refractors, probably other items) for many years so that's the one about which we hear the most. Meade's 5" and 6" refractors and GP-clone mounts come from another source (maybe Guan Sheng?) and are different in many ways. I kinda think Orion uses Synta but don't have any theories about Skywatcher.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics