•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

restoration techniques-engravers wax

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hi all,
I have two sets of brass Magnusson setting circles and one set of the same made from black anodised aluminum. They come from three Cave Astrola scopes I am restoring.

I would like to learn more about the use of engravers wax. I need to know how to remove the old stuff, how to prep for and re-apply the new stuff. In the case of brass, I'd also like to know if it can be overcoated with lacquer or something to prevent tarnishing.
Thanks,
Bill

#2 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

I repair brass trumpets to give to needy kids. Lacquer is easy to apply to brass and will last years. The trick is to put a high polish on the brass and then clean it. I use Mother's Premium all meatal polish wash with dish soap and rinse with alcohol. I dont like to use a buffer as you can loose some finer details. Use lots of slow elbow greese. Use pure alcohol not diluted rubbing alcohol which has impurities that leaves a cloudy residue. Blow dry with a hair dryer and the apply thin coats. The trick is in the prep work !!!!!!!!

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

I have hand buffed with brasso the circles on my cave till my fingers bleed and still all the tranish is not gone I need TARN-X !!!! Do they still sell that acid to people for their silver!!

#4 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Bill many of the brass and alum. polishes have sealers in them so they seem to last for a long time. I have a few brass dodads on our harley and only get to them once a year they do good with the silacone seal in Brasso

#5 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

I have hand buffed with brasso the circles on my cave till my fingers bleed and still all the tranish is not gone I need TARN-X !!!! Do they still sell that acid to people for their silver!!

Try the Mothers it is easier than Brasso or Tarn-X and gentler on the metal and leaves no hard to remove residue. If you are going to lacquer you need to remove any film left from polishing so a protectant may not be the best way to go.

#6 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

This was a joke tarnx eats holes in silver :grin:

Try the Mothers it is easier than Brasso or Tarn-X and gentler on the metal and leaves no hard to remove residue. If you are going to lacquer you need to remove any film left from polishing so a protectant may not be the best way to go.

#7 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

As far as the engravers wax you may want to to to a local sign or plaque maker. I am not sure but I think they use this wax in some applications.
Bill

#8 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I've noticed on both sets of brass circles that they had some kind of overcoat on them already. Some might cringe at the idea but I used 4'O' steel wool along with a brass polish to clean these up. I tested the steel wool on an inconspicuous area and it caused no visible damage. These setting circles do not look like they were ever polished very well at all.

I am far from an expert in brass but these things look like high copper brass. They will never take on the look of brass used in musical instruments.

Bill

#9 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a joke tarnx eats holes in silver

Sorry I didn't catch it. I do know it eats up silver, I won't tell you how I know except to say I have some first hand experience that my wife still won't let me live down :tonofbricks:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics