•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Last look at a classic in original condition.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hey all,
I've put up a quick web page to provide a last look at a classic scope in original condition.

I intend to refurbish the mount and OTA for now. I am doing a bit of research into building an adjustable height pier for this thing to make it transportable. I'm also searching for an original Cave observatory pier for it. If one cannot be located I'll build one based on pictures and drawings.

Enjoy: http://www.skyexplor...ch_original.htm

Bill

#2 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Impressive! What a scope! Where do you come up with these treasures! How are the views?
Bill

#3 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

From the Cave fans, thanks for posting the pics of the big refractor ... Whats the CA like???

#4 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

Nice scope Bill. Man, that tripod does look shakey though! Good luck on the restoration! :bow:

#5 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

SWWEEEET!!!!!!

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

That is truly awesome. (I hate to use that overused word, but it applies in this case!)

I agree that the tripod induces a sickening feeling in the stomach. A good stiff breeze might send the whole thing toppling over! Or one of those toothpick legs could buckle and snap!

Amazing scope though. What is the objective like, quality wise?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#7 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

Couldnt help myself Bill I linked this page last week in the classic scope site. Well the legs might be stuck in the ground 6" that would hold her! I have been keeping my eyes peeled for the original peir for this bad dude but havent seen one yet. I got those stickers we were looking at they look good but are smaller than the original cave plaque.

#8 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:10 AM

Well, that's a nice size for airline travel, but where's the big scope? :poke: :lol:

#9 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Yeah that tripod is certainly the weak link. It's too bad really because it is solid oak and in near pristine condition. Hardly a scratch or ding on it! If I had a bigger house it would be used as a plant stand for two large Christmas Cactus plants I have. :shocked: More than likely though I'll take it apart and pack it away for storage.

As for where I got the setup, check out Astromart ad #451851. This thing was up for sale for two months. Plenty of people wanted the OTA while others wanted the mount and some wanted other bits and pieces or the original eyepieces that came with it. The seller refused to break it up :cool: and required "pick up only". I contacted a friend who could pick it up for me and closed the deal. :jump: I've been in the hobby since 1996 and this is the only Cave refractor I've ever seen for sale.

Optically the scope is great. It was slightly out of collimation as there is no provision for collimating it. During my efforts at refurbishing the OTA I'll elongate the focuser and objective mounting holes to provide a means to collimate it properly.

I have only used the scope in moderately light polluted skies. I can see all stars in the Little Dipper naked eye with some effort. I have easily observed stars E & F in the Trapezium and I can easily make out Rhea, Thethys and Dione. I believe I also saw Enceladus one night during moments of exceptional seeing but I never checked a chart to confirm it. The objective is dated 11-75 and was made by A. Jaegers. So far I am very happy with it. Once properly collimated I will begin working on the AL Double Star observing program.

Now I just need an observatory so I can leave it set up permanently. Removing and storing the OTA is fairly easy but I have to stand on a ladder to do it because the top of the pier is taller than I am. :crazy:

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics