•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Older sears telescope with case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#26 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

Bruce et. al.,

Do I want to be bidding while setting a new record?

Auctions are driven by a combination of ego, money and eye candy, and add up to a recipie for an expensive weekend.

Still a lot of time for reflection...er refraction.

Da Bear

#27 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:05 PM

bear. remember emotions and auctions are a deadly mix!!! I bid on that Sears scope a couple of weeks ago. at $250 i bailled out. i told my wife....hon it's just a telescope i'm not going risk a bidding war and be left standing there holding the "bag"(an overpriced scope). as fate would have it last week i found a nice and totally complete san&streiffe 76mm for $175. so things did work out. everybody has to do his thing but sit back and take a breath! there will always be another even though at that moment your gut says otherwise! :grin: :grin: :grin: mike

#28 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

Actually, this is quite interesting to watch. About a year and a half ago I bought a 76mm Tasco Solarama for $360 from John Siple. That seemed at the time to be just a little higher than the avarage Solarama went for on eBay, but mine came with some extra goodies. The Sears scopes seemed at the time to be consistently about $100 less. I think all of these scopes are starting to really go up in 'value'. Could this be an aging Boomer phenomena?

Regardless of the reason(s) I'm glad to see my money isn't going to waste if I ever decide to sell it in the future.

For those that haven't seen it, here's a 'retro' review of my very scope. Check out the geek in the black tie.

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1332

Keith

#29 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:28 AM

What a nerd. :rofl5: Just kidding man. We all know that nerds and geeks RULE!!!!!! :bow: :rockon: :bow: :rockon: :bow:

#30 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:44 AM

Da Bear
I can't tell you how many scopes I had bid on with Ebay And lost out is the last few seconds.What really makes thing difficult is when is when you limit yourself to one particular model.I started collecting Sears models only because I coud not afford to bid on the Tasco version.But these scope always show up sooner or late on one of the classified sites. Some may need a little more work than others,I eventually purchased the three scopes I wanted to collect I geuss what I am trying to say is good thing do come to those who wait. Their will be others .It would be nice to see someone here get this scope.
Bruce

#31 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

Bruce,
I have had the same thing happen to me numerous times. I think a lot of these people are using the sniping services or programs. I find the best thing to do is to set yourself a limit, bid the max you are willing to pay and then walk away until the end of the auction. That beig said though, I have not followed my own advice in this case, but after reading Mike Cee's wise comments on this subject, I took a breath, had an adult beverage, and stopped pumping up my Paypal account. It would be nice to see a fellow CN'er get her though so at least we could get some pictures of it up and running. Besides, theres an old Unitron on eBay now!

#32 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

Maybe someone from this forum should email the winner and invite him into the group,I may give it a shot.I think there is enough interest in the Sears scope's here to warrant one more new member.I would like to see a few photo's myself. :jump:
Bruce

#33 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

Ah well, we are at that lull before the storm. I have gotten the CFO's approval for additional funding. After dinner and a Bushmills Irish Coffee, I'll plan a little pricing strategy and figure my bottom line.

Da Bear

#34 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Go for broke! Hmmm... I wonder why they use the word broke? :shrug:

#35 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

...broke...

Been there...

Keith (...still there)

#36 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

Da Bear
This is good news :jump: I'm glad to see you came to your senses.Remember don't bid even numbers,Wait to bid as long as you can (I like the last 10 sec or so)no reason to run up the price. The rest is in your hands .Best of luck the world will be watching Sunday.
Bruce

#37 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

I have been so broke I could hardly pay attention!
Bill

#38 Hairy Barber

Hairy Barber

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

I'm so broke I have to fart to have a (s)cent in my pocket. :cloudy:

#39 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

I really wanted to see the end of this auction.This thing end around 1:00 am here on the east coast :sleepy:. I may have to set the alarm. Good luck to all the participants. I think there my be more that just one CN'er interested in this one.But it's not me .If I were to get anymore telescopes I would be dead Meat. :flame: People always ask why do you have so many scopes, what do you do with all those scopes.What are they all for, why this why that and when you tell them they still don't understand. :bangbangbang:

#40 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

I hear ya. When I get asked that my response is why do you have so many guns, coins, stamps, paintings, golf clubs,boats,fishing poles, cars, and in some cases girlfriends!:slap:
Bill

#41 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

Two hours to go. Bumped it $20. The CFO now wants to go all out for this scope, and I'm the one being careful...who knew?

Da Bear

#42 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Well,
Who is gpobserver?

#43 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

Sorry Bear. I was rooting for you.

#44 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:10 AM

Thanks all, I put in a final bid that didn't quite make the time limit, but in all honesty it was (a hair) less than the winning bid.

Bottom line, I'm just dissappointed, not upset. I stayed in my price range and didn't get carried away.

As "Annie" sings , "Tomorrow, tomorrow...."

Thanks to all my fellow CN brothers ( and sisters) for their encouragement and support.

Da Bear

#45 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

Bear,
This is a Blue Monday :bawling:
I tried to find out where he's located as a ebay member but he hasn't sold anything there's no feedback info.
Let's regroup and move on :goodjob:
Bruce

#46 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

A few months ago I posted on Astromart..."Wanted 3 inch f/15 refractor either OTA or complete scope". I immediately got offers on a Complete Nikon equitorial, a Tasco equitorial and a Sears equitorial. All were offered privately to me at fair prices. Give it a try might be better than going after the auctions. As it turned out I begged Lenny to sell me his Unitron. Luckily my pleading yielded results as Lenny finally caved in. Take care, Bonco

#47 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, this last eBay auction amazed me...I've never seen a 3" Sears go for this much. Good for the seller, at any rate.

Keith

#48 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

Is that model better than the other discoverers of same dimensions or was it the completeness mixed with a little gottahavitness?-Ken

#49 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Ken,
I would think the main driver was the condition and completeness the scope was in,Other than that, I haven't seen that color around that much.This was not you run of the mill scope.The scope I got and Clints Bat is most likely the more common condition for a 40+ yr old.Their was a Sears 6344(blue tube) that went for $300.00 bucks not that long ago on Ebay.Maybe some people have seen what many of us here on the CN and the other site have done with these telescopes. All the great photo's and such.The hobby is becoming more and more popular all these baby boomers can now have the scope that maybe they could not afford as a youngster.I remember as a kid looking at the old sky & Telescope magazines and dreaming about some day owning one of those scope someday.Or how about the Sears catalog that was a real killer. The days of getting a super deal on these type of telescopes on Ebay maybe over.The cat's out of the bag as they say.
Bruce :kitty:

#50 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Well folks, since I went a little overboard previously, I thought I'd better sit this one out but I'm disappointed that Da Bear didn't win it. I was looking forward to seeing some pics. This one's very pretty, almost made my 10/15TE look less desirable.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics