•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night Pro 6.0: when Vista compatible?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

I've been trying to wait patiently. Does anyone have any information on how long it will be before they release a patch for Starry Night Pro 6.0... so it's Vista compatible? I've read that some were able to get it installed. For some reason, I wasn't. :-( So here I am with a hot new Core 2 Duo T7600 chip and no Starry Nights. :-(

#2 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

Vista has some great improvements for 3d and video stability. Those super groovy excellent changes may make some 3D programs have issues. The developers are currently working on an update. Programing is not an overnight thing so it will take some time. Rest assured there will be an update and it will be free. However Starry Night 6 should have been Vista compatible from the get go. The changes to 3D and Open GL was well documented long long before version 6 was released and Vista beta and rc1 was out for complete testing before version 6 was released.

#3 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for the info, basel10. That's kind of how I felt too. I've always cut lots of slack for folks who share their services and software for free. Once they start charging something, I think my lines of grace shorten a bit. I'm *reeeeeeeeeally* wishing the Starry Night elves would work a *little* bit harder on this refit. :-(

Thanks again.

#4 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

I would cut Imaginova a little slack here, especially when you consider when version 6 was being developed and released compared to Vista (and the, at the time unknown, actual release date that had slipped several times already).

Priorities are always made with upgrades. SNP 6.0 had some significant changes and I am sure Imaginova had other higher priorities for their version 6 update than compatibility with a future operating system that didn't have a certain release date while their version 6 was nearing final release.

I would guess that they saw the user base on XP and Mac being larger than the unknown Vista population for the early life of version 6.0 and made their decisions accordingly.

The SDLC of an application is a complex and delicate thing to manage properly. It is tough trying to please everyone with a general release program.

Bic

#5 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

OK. Guess I'm not going anywhere. Just a hassle that it's not useable yet. I'll try to be patient.

#6 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

I would cut Imaginova a little slack here, especially when you consider when version 6 was being developed and released compared to Vista (and the, at the time unknown, actual release date that had slipped several times already).

Priorities are always made with upgrades. SNP 6.0 had some significant changes and I am sure Imaginova had other higher priorities for their version 6 update than compatibility with a future operating system that didn't have a certain release date while their version 6 was nearing final release.

I would guess that they saw the user base on XP and Mac being larger than the unknown Vista population for the early life of version 6.0 and made their decisions accordingly.

The SDLC of an application is a complex and delicate thing to manage properly. It is tough trying to please everyone with a general release program.

Bic

I do think Starry Night is to blame. OpenGL website flat out says if the app. is well programed it will work in Vista. I have Celestia, Virtual Lunar Atlas and Google Earth all OpenGL working without issues in Vista. I can even run all 3 at the same time for many hours and never had them crash. If Starry Night was programed as well as Celestia it would have no issues with Vista. OpenGl website says so.
Starry Night has many bugs and stability issues even with Windows XP. It is the only program that I run that will crash every few hours. The specs for my computer is well well above the recommended requirements. It has always had stability issues, ds database inaccuracies and no cross indexing. When version 4 was released Jupiters moons was plotted wrong and they didn't get it fixed till version 4.5.

#7 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

:yawn:
When will they finish the patch!? :-)
Remember the good ole' days, when we used to admire all those Stary Night stars? :-) Aaaaaa Vista. This is progress.

#8 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

:yawn:
Aaaaaa Vista. This is progress.

Again this is not Vista. Other programs that use Open GL such as celetia, Google Earth and Virtual Moon Atlas works super groovy in Vista. The developers of Starry Night made some poor programing decisions that made it unstable in Vista (it wasn't that stable in xp). They are working on an update to fix their mistakes. According to their yahoo board an update is close. What does close mean? 2 weeks, 1 month 3 months don't know.

#9 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Making software is hard. Making software that will work in some yet to be defined environment is harder. Typically the development team is given specific requirements (e.g. run under XP) and given a fixed deadline. I can't ever remember a time when the development team was allowed extra time to spend engineering the software so that it would accomodate some future requirement (e.g. run under Vista) that may or may not be needed on some unknown future date. I'm currently managing 4 software projects; my management has instructed us to develop and test all 4 products for XP only because that's what the majority of our user base has.

"Get it out there" is the norm in the software industry.

Henrietta

#10 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:25 PM

All I know is... I'm currently running 70 applications under Vista. All of them work (including some very very graphics heavy apps), except Starry Nights. I'm not whining... just missing all those twinkling lights on my desktop. So please don't misunderstand... I'm not really complaining-complaining.... like in a negative way. I just *miss* it. :-)

I guess... if I may just venture a "what if", if I made my living programming software, I would have gotten the Vista beta and hired whatever number of guys it took... so that I could be assured that on the day Vista was released, my product would be ready, so I didn't lose a single sale, nor a single loyal customer.

(where's the little Graemlin that drums his fingers on the desktop with a quirky yet resolved-to-be-patient grin. :-) )

:sleepy:

#11 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

"Get it out there" is the norm in the software industry.

Which is true (I used to work in the games industry), but...

I have worked through a number of OS transitions and we always had to make sure that our products were compatible with ones about to be released. Don't forget that developers have had beta versions of Vista for quite some time now.

The bottom line though, is that developers have to make money. However, unless you don't think your product won't be around in a few years time (which ironically is often the case for a lot of computer games), you have to always keep an eye on new OS developments.

Of course this is partly a question of resources, i.e. people available to do the work and what directives you are getting from the senior management team. Ours was always to make PC product, as compatible on as many systems as possible. Of course this is part of the reason we switched primarily to next-gen console development! ;)

Regards,

Nick

#12 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

I hear you. I'm just whining. I'm sure they'll get it done soon. I should try to be more patient.

#13 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:00 AM

Of course this is partly a question of resources, i.e. people available to do the work and what directives you are getting from the senior management team.

Exactly. In most cases the project with the highest net present value gets the resources. Customer complaints, whether from high profile influential customers or large percentages of the user base, usually get management's attention too.

Henrietta

#14 Tom Nowicki

Tom Nowicki

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

I am in the same boat... I bought a laptop in Feburary to run Starry Night and of course, it had Vista on it. I can run SN on my main PC which is XP, but I'd really like it to run on the laptop too. So I will patiently wait as well.

#15 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Yawn.
http://www.starrynig...=kb&article=234
It's getting old.

#16 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:32 PM

Good news from the Starry Night techs:
---
Hi Doug,

First off, I'm not sure whether you've tried the things we've discovered which help Starry Night run on Vista:

1) Try to run the installer in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode:

http://www.unc.edu/r.../kb.php?id=6037

2) Update your video card's driver to the latest version from the manufacturer's web site.

3) Run Starry Night in Administrator mode by right clicking on the application icon.

However, the best news is that the free updates to version 6.0.6 will be released next week!

Geoff Gaherty
Starry Night Software Support

#17 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

I didn't know Geoff Gaherty worked for them...

#18 phj420

phj420

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

I got Starry night 6 working in vista. Before you get started you need to make sure that you have the latest graphics card drivers installed. after this is done you need to put the install disk in the drive and then browse to D:\Data\Disk1\InstData\Windows\VM (D representing your dvd drive)you will see a file called install (install anywhere self extractor zero G) in the vm folder. right click this and go to properties. choose the compatibility tab and select the check box "run this program in compatibility mode" select windows xp sp2. push ok. right click on the install file in the VM folder and choose "run as administrator" this will start the installation. you will see that the graphics of the install engine are not all there(at least this is what happened for me), but the files still install fine. after you have installed the program, you have to make sure that you right click on the starry night Icon and choose run as administrator to run the program. you do not need to run the actual program in compatibility mode from what I have found. If you try to run the program not as the administrator, I have found that the planet surfaces appear black and the clouds do not display correctly. I dont know if this is the universal way to make the program work but I have had some luck perhaps you will too. I would like to see what others come up with. after I installed the program I installed the 6.0.4 update and it was seemless as long as you download the update with java VM. good luck

have a good day :bow:

#19 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hi Phj420. I've tried your approach and several others. I've finally concluded that certain configurations of computers aren't compatible with the new hooks in Vista... as they relate to the OpenGL protocol. Unfortunate. I keep watching the Starry Night website regularly. Sure are taking their time. In the meantime, I've scrounged an old Windows XP laptop to use with Starry Night. But since it's a separate operation, I end up not using it as often. :-(

Doug

#20 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Starry Night update 6.06 is out. This fixes many Vista issues. If you still have trouble with starry night and vista then it is graphics card and or driver issues.

#21 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

Hi base10. Would you happen to have a link? I still can't find it mentioned anywhere on their site. :-)

#22 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

I got it thru their software update utility

#23 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

The software update utility works if you have the program installed... but my copy of Vista won't let me install it. Would you happen to know where *else* it's available? I'm still dead in the water. :-) Thanks for any help you can give.
Doug

#24 basel10

basel10

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:01 AM

Even if you download the update manually without the utility you can't update the software without it being installed first. The update has to have something to update. You should be able to install the software just fine in XP compatibility mode. Once it is installed apply the patch.

#25 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi Basel10. Unfortunately, it won't install on my laptop in XP compatibility mode. I've tried it repeatedly in several different configurations. :-( I know it's tempting to say it "should work", but I'm confirming - it doesn't. :-( I'm also reported this to Imaginova. :-(

It works fine on my XP laptop.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics