•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night Pro 6.0: when Vista compatible?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#26 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

Whoa! Just got it to install. I had always gotten a "Run Line 0" error saying it couldn't find the install.exe. I finally fished around on the DVD and found the install.exe file under the folder "Disk 1" in a folder \Windows\vm\. Double-clicked the install.exe folder and away it went. Downloaded the 6.0.6 patch from the downloads tab at the Starrynight website. Installed it and -- whoa -- it works! It's awesome! Much faster, seemingly, on this IBM Thinkpad T60p with 4 gig running Vista. Yahooooooooooo! I'm a happy camper. Thanks to those who spurred me on here. Consider this thread closed! :-)

#27 Indefatigable

Indefatigable

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

FYI -- the Starry Night knowledgebase is constantly being updated as more bugs and workarounds are found. Here's the latest:

For installing older versions of SN
For installing the newest update

The new update, 6.0.6, is Vista-compatible if you have a Vista edition that supports Windows Aero -- that means Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, but not Home Basic. Home Basic doesn't seem to have been shipped with the necessary features to run the graphics.

The first of those two articles also contains instructions on running SN or its installer in XP Compatibility mode, and it requires digging down to that installer file that Doug mentioned. Of course, XP Compatibility won't help if your version of Vista actually lacks graphics capabilities that XP had, which seems to be the case with Home Basic.

--Brenda (Geoff's new colleague at Imaginova Tech Support :jump:)

#28 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

So Indefatigable -- (is it Brenda?), are we to understand that you work for Imaginova? Whoa. That would be awesome if an Imaginova tech support person trolled CloudyNights. :-)

#29 Indefatigable

Indefatigable

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

Well, I've been trolling around here for a lot longer than I've been working for them. :p

#30 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

And every now and then something motivates her to actually post. :poke:

;)

#31 Indefatigable

Indefatigable

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Admittedly I have long dry spells when I forget about all of the message boards I usually hang out on. ;)

#32 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Brenda, is that picture really you? :-)

#33 Indefatigable

Indefatigable

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

Sadly, no. :D

I mean, er, yes, I took the TARDIS out for a spin the other day and went to visit my old pal Maxfield Parrish, and it just happened that he was looking for a model. ;)

#34 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

:-) LOL It's a splendid image. :-)

#35 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

If only Maxfield Parrish had Photoshop... :idea:

#36 Tom C.

Tom C.

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hi All,

I have had some of the same problems trying to run Starry Night Pro 6 with Vista that some of the posters in this forum have. After reading some of the responses here, i was finally able to load the software without error messages. (Although I couldn't see any kind of progress bar on the installer which didn't seem to be running normally. Now I have new issues. I am trying to run Starry Night Pro 6 (with the new Vista patch) on a Sony VAIO VGN-AR320E running Vista Home Premium. The VAIO comes stock with an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 GPU. Following instructions given by Indefatigable (Brenda) I updated everything updatable from both the Sony and NVIDIA websites. Now when I go to start up the software, it takes a full four minutes to get anything up on the screen and then when I do get something that looks like a Starry Night Dialog Box there are obvious bits of the graphic missing. If I wait another two minutes or so, those missing buttons pop up. It took a full 10 minutes waiting for all the start up processes to finish and the intro screen to fully paint. This is a 17-inch laptop that easily runs Windows Vista "Aero" and can play and export BlueRay HD movies. I would think it would be able to handle Starry Night. What's more, the NVIDIA people don't have any good suggestions other than buying a more expensive GPU. The driver I'm currently running for the GPU is 7.15.10.9813. It's possible that this may be a driver problem since NVIDIA admits this GPU isn't set up to run all Open GL functions. What they said was "GeForce GPUs do not support many OpenGL Logic operations that only Professional Workstation Applications use. Therefore, these functions are not Hardware accelerated or just plain don't work at all."

Is anyone out there having a similar problem? And if you have, were you able to fix it to run Starry Night...and....what was the fix.

And...for those of you considering a new Sony VAIO running Vista, and who want to use it with Starry Night, it may be wise to try before you buy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Tom

#37 Indefatigable

Indefatigable

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

Update again --

We had previously thought that any Vista computer that can run Aero could run Starry Night. This turned out not to be the case.

We do know that Starry Night can run under Vista if it has the right video card, i.e. one whose driver software lets it do everything it's supposed to do with OpenGL under Vista. We also know that there are graphics cards that worked fine with Starry Night under XP, but won't do the same under Vista.

So: it really looks like the compatibility issue is between the driver software and the operating system. Keep updating your drivers whenever there's a new one available for you. None of them want to be known as the video card that doesn't work with Vista, so they're all trying to solve this problem.

#38 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

I'm going to try and run 6.04 on a Dell Insiprion 1505, with Vista. Any experiences with this?

#39 Indefatigable

Indefatigable

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

Jaxdialation: what's your video card?

#40 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

Never mind -- I sold SN6.0 immediately. Fortunately I bought it from another gent who had the same problem, so he took the $50 loss.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics