•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comfort and Convenience

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:45 AM

See attached snapshot for my latest "lazy way" to stargaze.

The 15 x 70s are attached to a heavy -duty L bracket , which in turn is attched to a standard window -mount , which in turn is clamped in the vertical plane to one of the main support struts of a swinging garden couch.

With the couch "locked" in the stable mode , I can simply lie back full length and view the zenith and a panaroma to approximately 75 degrees from the vertical by simply slackening the panning handle with a raised arm , then re -tightening.

No tripod , no parallelogram mount , no fluid head ,no custom built chair , no hands -- just sheer comfort !

Of course it helps if you happen to have one of these swinging settees to start with !

Anyone who has one - I urge you to try this out for supreme comfort whilst stargazing.

Clear Skies -- Kenny.

Attached Thumbnails

• 150395-STAR GAZER.jpg

#2 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:56 AM

The danger is falling asleep in that position while you're out there at night... :D

I have always believed that the best inventions come from those people that are intrinsically lazy! :ubetcha:

#3 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:14 PM

The Ultimate Praise: ALL RIGHT!! SWEET! Pete

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:59 PM

Just a note here which I'm sure anyone with half a brain will have sussed out for themselves.

ANY kind of flat sun -lounger / old mattress would suffice for this , providing one has a sturdy vertical tube or column of some sort to clamp the window -mount to / push the lounger / mattress up against.

I'm finding the position of lying horizontal to be much more comfortable than ANY other sitting , reclined or standing postion , and so much more relaxing that the entire concentration can be trained on the VIEW itself.

I'll be trying this with my Zeiss spotting scope soon , but as my signature indicates , there is STILL something special about seeing with BOTH eyes !

Binoviewer next on my shopping list perhaps ? :-)

Clear Skies -- Kenny.

#5 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:35 PM

Kenny

Did you remember to remove the sun visor above the swing seat... :lol:

BTW: Zeiss Tripod on sale!!!

Zeiss Universal Tripod with Panning Head Reg $279 on sale for $199.95 ... while supplies last.

http://www.adorama.com/ZSTU.html

#6 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

It's about time someone came up with a colourful way to stargaze. Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

That's wonderful Kenny, but as Tom pointed out...you might be getting a little TOO comfortable! :sleepy:

#8 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:27 PM

Kenny,

May I suggest, for stagazing, doing this at night?

#9 Nauset

Nauset

Soyuz

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:57 AM

Definitely at night. Think of the funky tan line you'd get.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:58 AM

Great, Kenny! Thanks! I'd been wondering about how to set something up like this. I'm wondering if a chais (sp?) lounge would allow one to view closer to the horizon. Zenith to 75 degrees can be great, but maybe sometimes frustrating in what you can't use it to see. And how well does it work when viewing to the side. Do you have to get up and reposition your mattress? How tiring! ;)

Best,
Doug

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:03 PM

Brilliant ... if you're looking at the zenith. On the other hand, if someone rocks the lounger then you could really pan the heavens. Rock hard enough and you could see from horizon to horizon. ;)

#12 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

:lol:

#13 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:15 PM

For those rare nights in Northern England when clarity extends to beyond the circumpolar regions , an understanding partner with strong arms and an unflappable disposition can always be asked to lift the complete apparatus ( complete with observer ) to the desired angle of inclination.

By the way -- thanks for the tip Apollo -- I'm seeing much more now I've removed the visor !

An added bonus with this system is that even if the clamp breaks and the binos drop on to your head , you'll still be seeing stars anyway.

Clear skies -- Kenny.

#14 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

Kenny,
Is that right,you have bought a new Zeiss spotting scope :waytogo: What"s the focal length Kenny? It might be compatable with the new BC&F Binomate but like Jim Gutman states 20mm FL eyepieces will be your lowest power.
I would love to know how your Zeiss fares on the night sky.
I know you dont like talking about equipment :roflmao:
but Im dying for a review.
Best wishes
Steve.

#15 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

Hi Steve,

The 85mm version Zeiss Diascope I bought is f5.

Something I read put me off buying the new BCF Binomate , and it could have been something to do with f5 limitations.

At least , it being f5 ,it is possible to carry out a few "side by side" comparisons with my f5 102mm chinese achromat refractor at various magnifications.

I have the eps / barlows to select 20x , 25x ,33x , 40x , 50x and 66x with the 102mm scope -- so it should be interesting , - - - to me at any rate !

Of course , for "astro" comparisons , the two main problems are going to be waiting for a clear sky , and my limited knowledge of the night sky -- but with my proven capability to waffle , I'm hopeful I can come up with at least SOMETHING meaningful :-)

If and when I do -- I will post my observations.

Clear skies -- Kenny.

#16 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Kenny,
My Oracle 3 is f7.4. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has used the Binomates with the TV 101 as that has a f5.4 ratio,similar to your Zeiss Diascope.
Maybe a PM to Jim Gutman might be of help.
Steve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics