•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic scope's how old.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

Don't know if this as been asked but how old does a scope need to be to get the classification as i have a 20 year old 7" Starfire.

#2 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Don't know if this as been asked but how old does a scope need to be to get the classification as i have a 20 year old 7" Starfire.

It's a classic. :jump:

I don't know that there's a universally accepted definition of what a "classic" scope is. But, as Justice Harlan once famously said (regarding obscenity) "I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I see it."

Some scopes, IMO, are "classics" as soon as they are made. Others, 50 or 100 years later, will still be nothing more than "old junk".

Here's a draft definition:

A "classic" scope is one that is coveted by multiple grey-haired (or bald) guys, and that multiple other grey-haired (or bald) guys remember mowing lawns all summer in order to finance its purchase.

:lol:

Jim

#3 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Jim that make's me a classic aswell

#4 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

Jim that make's me a classic aswell

That's great!

Me? I'm "old junk". :lol:

Jim

#5 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:19 AM

Classic anything is 20 years old my Harley is one year away from that status. One mans junk is another mans treasure. 100 years make it antique I personaly am double classic plus 7 and almost half antique!!

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:21 AM

We've had several threads on this subject. Please do a search and you'll get your answers. Basically there is no official designation for classic or antique, but there are some gernerally accepted guidelines.

#7 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the reply's I really love the older scopes I used to work in the Antique trade and looked at 1 or 2 on my travels

#8 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Dont listen to Len he is like antique and a classic. For that matter my mind is gone its all new to me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics