•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fishy $1 Unitron?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:05 PM

I've never seen a Unitron with those side mounts on the tube.

That isn't a side mount. Unless I'm mistaken, the focuser has only one knob and the single tube mount is on the bottom of the OTA, which would then attach nicely to the mount shown.

Keith

After looking at the picture more closely, I agree and stand corrected. Thanks, Bonco

#27 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

That ring in front of the cell has GOT to come off. It eitherunscrews OR it gets pryed off somehow. That one is so old I bet it would come off if you used a BIG pipe wrench and wrap that ring with a jar opener rubber disk, apply the wrench jaws to the side of it and CAREFULLY start twisting in a counter clockwise direction. It ought to come loose.

For support, line a shop vise with a rubber mat or wrap the tube with a rubber mat and get it tightened down in the vise. Be careful not to overtighten it to mar the finish on the tube though.

Tell you what...I bet I'd get it off! Even try applying a drop or 2 of WD40 oil on the lip of that ring and let it work itself in for a little while. I really do not think this is going to do any damage to the objective unless you spray the whole can in there!!!

After it is removed, you can easily wash off the tiny bit oil that may get onto the side of the lens. Once this is overwith, you're on your way in restoring and cleaning this up...

Let us know how this works out for you.

#28 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

I will give it another try Len. I just dont want to damage the front optic.
Bill

#29 Mark Lancaster

Mark Lancaster

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

OK, you have a threaded lens retaining ring? PM me and I will make a couple of suggestions. I'll send my address to you via the CN message system.

Mark

#30 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

You might have to use a spot of JB weld on the nuts to afix them to the tube before you go to put the Cell back on the tube. Easy Cheesy Japaniesy so easy a caveman can do it

#31 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

Opps i didnt see the second pages of posts

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics