•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unihex

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Ok guys I'm a gonna fess up and seek your comments. I've always been fascinated with the Unitron, Unihex. It looks awesome and very practical. I've often wondered why they are not more common.
I now have one with my Unitron 3 inch Equitorial and find that I never use it. Why?
1)Because even tho it functions nicely I find I cannot use my finder as eyepieces on the Unihex impact my face. I absolutely cannot look thru my finder with the Unihex in place.
2)The Unihex has different heights on the 6 eyepiece tubes to make it more par focal. Despite this I find I must adjust the draw tube between eyepiece choices in order to get focus.
3) On my Unihex you can only rotate clockwise, if you go counter clockwise it unscrews from its threaded mount.

They look wonderful but I question their practicality. Let me know your suggestions and opinions. Thanks, Bonco

#2 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Gemini

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

As I recall, even though I had a Super Unihex on my 4" (to go with Super R&P)
I didn't use it much. I preferred using a standard diagonal or, when using the 40 & 60 mm E.P.'s no diagonal. Sometimes the viewing positions were awkward, but I was really flexible back then. The image was somewhat brighter than with the Unihex. As I've noted before, it was a fabulous scope! :refractor:

#3 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Hi guys!
Hmmmm, I cannot recall having that problem when I had that scope Bonco, but then come to think of it...I used the star diagonal most of the time anyway.

BUT on my current 4 inch Unitron, I use my Unihex all the time. I love it. As for turning it clockwise, I normally do that anyway.

As for the parfocal, it is somewhat parfocal but yes there is some slight adjusting that I have to do. What is nice about the Unihex is that there is no more fumbling with eyepieces in the dark, just turn them in the holders. Mine is pretty tight so I am happy with it.

I also have another Unihex on my guide scope! It's cool comparing the views with both scopes at once!

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

Lenny,
Me thinks there may be more clearance with the 4 inch vrs the 3. I've not given up in the Unihex and think it will great for public viewing on the moon and planets. there certainly isn't anything wrong with the Unihex, I've just found it awkward to use.
Take care, Bonco

#5 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

Bonco,
If you get tired of the unihex you can always send it to me. But please include all the EP'S. hahahaha
Bill
:funny:

#6 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

o len i can use th new unihex on my guide scope

#7 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

Mr. Bill... Don't lose any sleep waiting for my Unihex, it's a classic part of the scope and I'll always keep them together. Contact Lenny, he's got a few extra's lying around that he'd be happy to give away.
LOL, Bonco

#8 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

I think getting a Unihex off of Lenny would be like pulling hens teeth! hahahah
Bill :yay:

#9 klee

klee

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

The main reason I like my unihex is it lets me use modern 1 1/4" ep's without trying to find a unitron 1 1/4" tube adapter to use a 1 1/4" diagonal .

#10 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

Hi Bono: In order to focus all the eyepieces for the SuperUnihex of mine, it is a matter of adjusting each eyepiece in the individual holder. kinda like using a binocular adustment bezel on only one of the binocular eyepieces.
After a bit of fussing to find the eyepiece that requires the most infocusing, the adjustments for the others can be made.
When put back in the storage box, the eyepieces are all adjusted and focused, ready to use again.
Hope this helps.
Jim

#11 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

I have 2 of them. One on my 4 inch and the other on my guider. The only way I will part with one is if I get lucky and get a Super Focuser and a Super Unihex! LOL! :roflmao:

#12 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

<=== See my face in the Avatar? That's the face I make when I got someting REAL NICE!!!!!!

#13 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Jim, I'll give that a try. One thing I need is a proper eyepiece for the 1 1/4 inch tube. All my low power eyepieces are too tall putting it way out of focus compared to the others. Any suggestions as to what 1 1/4 eyepieces work nicely in it?
Thanks Bonco... Bono is that singer guy hehehe !!

#14 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

See told ya, like pulling hens teeth!!
Bill

#15 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Bill,
Once Lenny gets something good, he gets two of them !!
His girlfriend hasn't met his wife... yet.
LOL Bonco

#16 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hahaha :jawdrop: :yay:

#17 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

LOL!!!

I have a girlfriend too?? Now that'd be nice! ..... Nah, My wife is just fine for me...

But 2 Unihex's is a winner!

#18 klee

klee

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Jim, I'll give that a try. One thing I need is a proper eyepiece for the 1 1/4 inch tube. All my low power eyepieces are too tall putting it way out of focus compared to the others. Any suggestions as to what 1 1/4 eyepieces work nicely in it?
Thanks Bonco... Bono is that singer guy hehehe !!

I use 1.25" e.p.'s only in my unihex and the originals just sit in the box , see my e.p's listed below , and they all work great but I still have to play around a little adjusting the draw tube. The tmb planetary is REALLY nice!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics