•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6 inch Cave Astrola

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Here is another one for you Clint 6" Cave Astrola pick up only in Callie. He says the mount is toast!
Bill
http://tinyurl.com/35pfqa

#2 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

I'm a gonna move to California and just buy old telescopes until my house is full of them. Sure wish the east coast had so many offerings.
Bonco

#3 OuterSpaced

OuterSpaced

Ranger 4

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

Bonco,
The gulf coast has a telescope defecit as well. I search Craigslist often and have yet to see a telescope for sale closer than Atlanta or Houston. What gives? -Ken

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Ken,
Me thinks it has to do with clear skies. California at the turn of the century was recognized as having some beautiful transparent skies and many observatories were built. No doubt this created interest in astronomy amoung the public. As a result amatuer astronomy really blossomed in CA. which resulted in several manufacturers setting up shop there. In the south along the gulf, skies are frequently muddy and no major observatories were built. The Northeast polluted their skies decades ago so no major investment in observatories in the 20th century. I live in Florida and for the most part the skies stink. There are exceptions, like Chiefland and a few spots available in the keys. We do however have some very steady skies that facilitate double star observations and superior planetary views. California remains as the primary center of amatuer astronomy...Just my 2 cents worth.
Bonco

#5 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Actually the upper state NY Catskills area is really excellent. Another real super good spot is the outer banks Cape Hatteras area.
As far as the cave units go I think its point of origion.
Bill

#6 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

Wish I could say that about Sunny, Balmy Ohio.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics