•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Home Made Parallelogram Bino Mount - Vixen 30x125

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis_Oz

Dennis_Oz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

Hello,

I recently completed a Parallelogram mount for my Vixen 30x125 binocular. I posted the “how to” on the Australian Astronomy Forum, “Ice In Space” – here is a link Ice In Space to the article:

Cheers

Dennis

Attached Thumbnails

• 1522033-Figure 24 - Vixens Seat.jpg

#2 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Wow.... that's an incredible setup for viewing! Nice job on the mount- and the chair as well. (Envy you those binoculars!)

#3 camvan

camvan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

impressive! very impressive! I can't wait to show my dad the website, as we're in the midst of forming our own parallelogram. this may change oru plans somewhat and heavily influence our plans!

KUDOS! :grin:

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:55 AM

Hi Dennis,

WOW. The tripod, the chair and the mount look great.

(the 125mm Vixen bino isn't too shabby either!)

That is one sweet setup. I bet the views are great.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#5 johnno

johnno

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hi Dennis,

I think the others have said it all,
That is a brilliant piece of work, ,A great setup.
I also love the chair,And the Binoculars.

Regards.John

#6 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

Next project: Put the CHAIR on its own swing arm on the same tripod so you can swing around w/o getting up. You'll need a bigger counterweight, and heavier legs (duh....).

Jess Tauber

#7 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi, Dennis.

Your mount looks very good. Comfort viewing is important :-)

I am getting brother (sister?) 20x125 soon. It comes with Vixen
mount/tripod. I am going to read your article later.

Thanks for the posting.

Tammy

#8 milt

milt

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hi Dennis,

Well done! Please have a 4-X for me :drinkspit: Our daughter went to UQ and we loved your city.

Cheers,
Milt

#9 Dennis_Oz

Dennis_Oz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hello,

Thank you for all those very nice comments; I enjoyed making the various items. However, although the static photo may look impressive with the Vixens perched on the mount, I thought I had better clarify some points to provide some real world feedback!

As stated in the “How To” article, this mount is probably not ideally suited to serious, extended observing with the Vixen giant binoculars. The parallelogram motions are not as effortless as a quality, metal, commercial parallelogram mount that uses bushes and bearings to provide for smooth movements and precise positioning. Small, accurate adjustments are tricky to make with my mount, until you learn how the mount behaves when loaded with the Vixen giants.

So far, due to poor weather, I have not been able to trial the set up for extended observing sessions, where I anticipate some operational, comfort and usability issues may arise.

The project was conceived to allow me to casually tour the cosmos in those quiet periods whilst acquiring CCD images through my telescope. Binocular observing is not my prime astronomy past time, so in this secondary application, I am able to tolerate minor flaws that may prove unacceptable if binocular observing were my primary past time.

Cheers

Dennis

#10 neocacher

neocacher

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

That is a beautiful mount and a beautiful telescope. I think I would like to make one just like it.

#11 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

Really nice job, Dennis! And I love the website too...excellent documentation!

Patrick

#12 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

beautiful setup

:waytogo:

#13 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

Dennis,

What an absolutely spectacular set-up that is. The article and photos alone would be something I'd like to see in an issue of S&T.

Clear Skies,
Phil

#14 mttafire

mttafire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:32 PM

Hi Dennis,

WOW. The tripod, the chair and the mount look great.

(the 125mm Vixen bino isn't too shabby either!)

That is one sweet setup. I bet the views are great.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Ditto!!! Fantastic set up!!

#15 camvan

camvan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:45 AM

well, I showed my dad this thread and he went, 'wow' with the jaw drop expression on his face. then he asked me to bookmark it for reference! I'm thinking we can use your instructions to make one heck of a nice tripod :grin: we don't really need a P-mount quite has hefty as that.

#16 Dennis_Oz

Dennis_Oz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:18 AM

Hi, Dennis.
I am getting brother (sister?) 20x125 soon. It comes with Vixen
mount/tripod. I am going to read your article later.

Thanks for the posting.

Tammy

Hello, Tammy

The Vixen fork mount is a very nice mount. You can set the forks to either vertical, or tilt them at 45 degrees which really helps with objects above 60 degrees. There are some nice finishing touches too. One example are the two rubber O-rings on the horizontal bar which absorbs the impact if the binocular objective cells accidentally tilt too far forward and strike the bar.

I use the “Kendrick” dew controller and a "Kendrick" 8 inch dew strap for the objectives and a “Dew-Not” Dew Remover Tandem for Binoviewers for the eyepieces. I also built a couple of dew shields that slip over the objective lens cells.

You will love using the binocular and I’m sure the forks and tripod will be a delight to operate as well. The forks fitted to the tripod are more stable than my parallelogram mount.

Cheers

Dennis

#17 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

Dennis,

I don't know what I like better, your 30x125 home made mount setup or your backyard in Brisbane, Australia. :bow:

Joe

#18 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hi, Dennis.

Thank you for Kendrick drew shield info. I'll look into it.
It arrived yesterday. I set it up and I was surprised at
how smooth the Vixen mount moves.

I also noticed that O ring you mentioned, shock absorber.
I just smiled. They pay attention to details.

Unfortunately, no first light yet. It has been hazy
during day, foggy at night for about a week.

I think I need to bring it to dark site to appreciate
the aperture :-)

Tammy

#19 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

All I have to say is ..........WOW! :)

#20 Dennis_Oz

Dennis_Oz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:25 AM

Hello, Cameron

Thank you for your nice comments about the mount and tripod. Good luck with building yours. It’s so nice to hear that your Dad is also interested in what you are doing – it’s great to see families enjoying the hobby together. My wife also enjoys astronomy and her participation helps when I need to finance some new equipment, which these days seems to be too often!

Cheers

Dennis

#21 jaydee

jaydee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

Hi Dennis,

Some excellent pieces you have created there. My only comment, and it applies equally to all the commercial p-mounts I have seen, (and this seemed as good a place to post it as any other), is that the counterweight balances out only the vertical force at the parallelogram pivots. As the binoculars are cantilevered beyond the pivots, a considerable moment is transfered back to the central upright, and hence to its bearing. If one cantilevered the counterweight on a suitable L bracket, the central pivot would only need to cope with the vertical load, and should operate more smoothly.

Many thanks and regards

John

#22 Dennis_Oz

Dennis_Oz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hello, John

Thanks for shedding light on that aspect of the design. I only I wish I had a background in maths and engineering design so I could perform the necessary analysis and calculations to construct a mount based on real data, rather than gut feeling! Not to mention metal working skills to make the mount smaller and more transportable.

If I hold the binocular and move it in azimuth around the tripod azimuth bearing, I do notice a significant twisting moment at the fork tines, although the PVC azimuth bearing appears to operate acceptably smoothly. Hence, I tend to make azimuth movements by pushing/pulling on the parallelogram beams instead.

At one stage I did think of adding a rib/buttress to the tines, but decided it would be preferable to learn more about the weight and balance forces and build to real data, rather than just beef up the weak points of the existing design.

Cheers

Dennis

#23 jaydee

jaydee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Hi Dennis,

No worries. Looking carefully at your fine workmanship on the Ice in Space article, I realize that the length of the binocular cantilever varies as you scan the skies, so the best you could do would be to balance out the average moment. Anyway, if it isn't broken etc.

Best regards

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics