•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Insane RV-6 idea?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Remy

Eric Remy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

I've been playing with my (new) old RV-6 for the past few months and enjoying it a fair amount. It's my dad's old scope, only a year younger than I am and it has some nice memories attached to it.

However, after it using both for optical and webcam photography, I can't say I'm in love with the mount. Yes, it's stable and durable, but it's also heavy, a complete PITA to move, has no fine motion controls and has a motor drive that is fairly iffy in its tracking. The latter two are driving me nuts trying to take photos of saturn at high mag- getting the scope aligned is finicky in the extreme and the drive rarely engages before the planet drifts out of the field of view.

Has anyone tried to remount one of these with a modern equatorial mount, or (gasp) even a goto mount? Celestron has the CG-5 mount for ~$700 that should be able to handle the weight of the scope, although I have no idea if there's any easy way to attach the old RV-6 OTA to the mount.

Has anyone actually tried this? Is it worth it?

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Never tried it, but I have the CG-5 ASGT and the RV-6 and it is pretty straightforward. Get one of the 13 inch long dovetails for the CG-5, drill a couple of 5/16 inch holes in the dovetail, use the original RV-6 rings and you are good to go.

Jon

#3 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

One of my observing buddies, Mike Conte, has done just that. You can see his whole restoration project, eventually culminating oin a go-to scope on a CG-5 clone mount here:

http://mywebpages.co...wconte/rv-6.htm

Me? My solution to the "funky EQ mount" problem was to "dob it out". My RV-6 dob is optimized for binoviewing the Moon and planets. No link just yet....

I know that some would call us both Philistines for turning our vintage RV-6's into "hot rods".....but we both get LOTS of use out of the original optics!

Clear skies,

Jim

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

Mounted mine on the Super polaris mount with electrical slow motions. Works great but the tube hits the tripod legs at high angles.
Bonco

#5 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

I wouldn't Dob it out. If you want to keep taking photos with it you need a nice stable platform. Orion has a Sirius, and a heavier Atlas mount. they are each offered in a goto and non goto option.. and you can add goto later on if you choose. they are a little pricey but that will be a fine telescope when your done.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

I wouldn't Dob it out. If you want to keep taking photos with it you need a nice stable platform. Orion has a Sirius, and a heavier Atlas mount. they are each offered in a goto and non goto option.. and you can add goto later on if you choose. they are a little pricey but that will be a fine telescope when your done.

A CG-5AS is more than enough for an RV-6. The OTA only weighs 8 lbs complete.

Jon

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

If the OTA is only 8 pounds, you could maybe mount it on an Orion SVP.

Or, use the RV-6 as a guidescope for that 14" CAT planet-killer we know you have hidden in the barn. ;)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#8 Eric Remy

Eric Remy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

If the OTA is only 8 pounds, you could maybe mount it on an Orion SVP.

Or, use the RV-6 as a guidescope for that 14" CAT planet-killer we know you have hidden in the barn. ;)

It's actually funny. I've been perusing scopes on ebay as an upgrade (trying for a deal on a nice Celestron/Meade 8" SCT- yeah, right) but there's something perverse in me that really wants to push this relic as far as it can go. I've got some images over in the solar system forum from the scope and while they don't compare to the folks with the C14s and 10MP Apogee cameras I can at least say I did it with a museum piece and less than $120 of added stuff.

I suppose there are a few people on this forum who can identify with that :^)

#9 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

Way to go Eric!
Bill

#10 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

but there's something perverse in me that really wants to push this relic as far as it can go.
I suppose there are a few people on this forum who can identify with that :^)

I'll bet you can push it pretty far. Most of those "relics" had pretty fine optics....many nothing short of awesome.

It may also be a "museum piece", but it's a fine working scope, too!

Clear skies,

Jim

#11 Nebb Ular

Nebb Ular

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

My suggestion is: keep the original mount (in case later you decide to sell the RV-6 as a complete original scope), and go with one of the Orion mounts which can add goto, if you decide you want it, as matty suggested.

#12 tmcd

tmcd

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

I fully restored an RV-6 then later mounted it on an Orion SVP Pedestal mount http://astrotulsa.co...-6/RV-6_SVP.jpg
All it required was purchasing a 13" dovetail plate and drilling it for the rings. It is solid as a rock and a pleasure to use. Have the original mount packed away. The full restoration can be seen here: http://astrotulsa.co...hT/RV-6/Pg0.htm

Tom

#13 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

Nice job Tom.
Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics