•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small Scope Short List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2003 - 11:12 AM

Greetings all,

Getting right to the point, Here's my dilemma: This Saturday, I will be at the farm of a fellow observer (and president of our local astronomy club) on the north shore of Lake Erie, south of London, Ont (which would probably place it just across the lake from Cleveland, Ohio). This farm has wide, flat meadows and perhaps the darkest skies I've seen. The last time I was there, I got amazing views of M8, M17, the Beehive, M35, and a number of other objects.

So now you're thinking "What dilemma?" OK, I'm coming to that. On this trip, I'm bringing my wife and daughter, in a surreptitious attempt to win them over to my favourite pastime (and perhaps get the green light for future purchases). But right now, there's a lack of "Wow" factor objects for small scopes (Heep, my 'umble 4.5" f/8 Newt). Jupiter and Saturn are gone, the moon won't be up until 2:00 AM local, and I don't even know what kind of detail I can expect to get in Mars.

So what objects would make my wife and daughter think it was worth a three-hour drive? What can I show them that will elicit a "Wow!" ?

I welcome any comments.

#2 Ron B[ee]

Ron B[ee]

Tyro

Posted 18 July 2003 - 12:35 PM

For a list of savory objects that my 4-incher Light Cup found tasty :smirk:, please visit the "Fantastic 4" list.
If you have an UHC filter, make sure you take it along too.

Regarding Mars, it would be relative low in the early morning hours where you're. Have a look at what the Light Cup saw to get an idea (Mars is almost 45d above horizon where I am; so you may not see all the details I saw). So I'd say it's worth a try :shrug:. Take a #21 orange and #80A filters with you.

Ron B[ee]

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 July 2003 - 11:35 PM

Since you're working with "newbies" there, you might want to stick to brighter objects, inexperienced observers often don't notice faint smudges. Larger star clusters and bright colorful doubles are good, like Alberio. M13 can be good, don't be afraid to take it to moderately higher powers, it's bright enough to go pretty high!

#4 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2003 - 12:33 AM

Hi Ron,

Great Mars drawings! I'll be happy if I see half that in Heep. Unfortuantely, I don't own any filters (other than a moon filter). Good work on those lists, too. I'm going to be spending most of my time in Scorpius/Sagittarius with a side trip to Hercules for M13. (And of course Mars - first time viewing ever!)

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 July 2003 - 06:44 AM

Champagne, strawberries and cream, and some soft music next to the scope will sweeten the views for your wife and is guarantied to make the purchase of your next scope a lot easier. :flower: Especially if you do this every time you go observing.

P.S.If you develop this habit, I will be happy to join you as well.

#6 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:23 AM

You've got some good ideas there, Wil. You ought to be in marketing!

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:13 AM

Don't forget the OFF bug spray.

#8 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:01 AM

Actually, this site is remarkably mosquito-free, another big blessing. I'm posting my observing report today. Got some terrific views.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics