•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sans and Streiffe #976 Sightseer binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

I bought these really nice, sharp, 8x40mm Sans & Streiffe binoculars. They just arrived in the mail. Exactly as described by the seller, in great condition, and well collimated.

These have a 9-degree field. The coatings resemble modern multicoatings, sans green. I see light blue and purplish reflections. Prisms appear to be Bak-4 because the exit pupil is perfectly round with no apparent cutoff, physical or brightness. Center focus with right diopter. They came with the original neckstrap still unused and the leather storage case is in near-mint condition, as is the binocular itself. Strangely, all 4 lens caps are missing, yet the glass looks pristine. The focuser works smoothly. I got a *great* deal on these, so I bought them even though I knew I would not keep them because of eye relief issues - I observe with glasses on when I use binoculars and these old style bins with the hard plastic eyecups lack sufficient ER for me.

Daytime tests revealed no apparent CA (not much to see at 8x anyway), no rectilinear/pincushion/barrel distortion. Good edge performance, despite the wide field. I can't wait to try them at night and see how they compare against my 1992 Bushnell Audubon 8x42mm which is also made in Japan.

I have no idea what year these are from. Does anyone know?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Attached Thumbnails

• 1534464-binos1.jpg

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

Another -

Attached Thumbnails

• 1534467-binos2.jpg

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

I have more goodies I will reveal tomorrow. I'm dead tired and have been on my feet all day. Let's just say the mailman made 3 trips back and forth from his truck to my front door. :)

(I've been on an acquisition rampage of late) ;)

Regards,

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics