•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 9x63 ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of the Meade 9x63 roof prism binocular? Seems cheap, but I'm not sure if they're any good. Are they fully coated or Fully Multi-Coated for example?

With thanks.

:confused:

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

Dont know about the roof prism Meades, but I just got a pair of Porro Bak-7 prism 10x50s. For the price ($20) I gave it shot. Im working on a review, if anyone is interested in a review of extremely cheap binos ill keep refining it and post it with some pics.

#3 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

They sound pretty good- Bak7 for $20! Hope they hold up well. :)

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:48 AM

Spyke, I posted my impressions about them, see post "$20 Binos". My experience with optics is limited but you can read my thoughts on their optical performance on the post. They seem to be put together just as well as my Oberwerks, time will tell I suppose.

#5 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:12 PM

Hi,

Very interesting thoughts and some handy tips! Nice to hear that your son has had his interest sparked! :D

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:20 AM

Hi Spyke

I am new to this forum and have been looking for opinions on the Meade/Bresser 9x63 as well. I see your question was ignored by the others.

I have just bought the Bresser Spezial Jagd 9x63 (Bresser is Meade) and find them to be the sharpest, brightest binoculars I have used. I am not an expert nor have I used that many different binoculars. I cannot afford the expensive high end binos so was looking for a good value bino with a big objective lens.

I have viewed the same night time townscape view with tasco 8x20, Barclay 8x30, and the Bresser 9x63. With the tasco I could make out the shapes of the houses and maybe a window or two. With the 8x30s I could see details in the houses. With the Bressers I could see the roof tiles and the houses lit as if it was almost daylight. Looking skywards, (but no comparison with the others), I was able to see binary stars where to the naked eye there was only one, and in fact it was difficult for me to work out what I was seeing as the view was so full of stars it seemed totally different to the naked eye view.

When looking at street lights there was a starburst effect (supposedly common with roof prisms) but this is not visible in daylight use or noticable when viewing stars.
They are fully multi coated, have BAK-4 prisms, have a tripod mount thread, weigh 1.2kg and can close focus to about 4.5m.

I did another daylight comparison with some Minolta 10x50s which seemed much less clear than the Bresser 9x63.

I do not know how long they will last, as apparently roof prisms need a special reflective coating that I guess could corrode, but at the moment they seem to be an excellent buy.

If anyone else has been able to compare these to other similar binoculars or know more about the lifespan of roof prism binoculars I would be interested to hear your views, but in the mean time I hope this opinion helps.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics