•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tower equatorial refractor d/75 FL1200 model 6335

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 jerome hayes

jerome hayes

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:18 PM

I was in a local pawn shop today and saw what looked like an army green cannon with accessories, but turned out to be a nice condition old refractor with wooden equatorial mount. Also abourt four .9 eyepieces,finder same color as scope mounted on rings, errecting prism,solar filter,and inventory sheet with about sixty listed items suppose to be in the nice looking 3x2 foot storage box. Focuser was unsrewed from tube and lens covers were metal friction snug fit. objective looked great. strap on objective cover absent otherwise everything looks 90%. What are these worth? I dont mind saying they are asking $175 which sounds extemely high to me. Oh yes barlow, and one eyepiece 4mm which would be 300 magnification Is that possible? Made in Japan.

#2 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:07 PM

Is it a Towa (not Tower), if so $175 would be a good price in Australian dollars - but I'm not so sure about US dollars. It would depend on how well preserved it is. Many Tasco's are actually Towas. My first 'scope was a 3" Towa made reflector, not big but very solid and sharp on the moon and planets. My 3" Towa refractor (mid 70's vintage) is a first class performer.

#3 jerome hayes

jerome hayes

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:46 AM

The scope says Tower. Made in Japan Fully coated. Maybe Towa made the Tower for Sears? Interesting that the focuser assembly screws out for storage.

#4 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:15 AM

Yes, I have never seen a Tower in Oz but that does not mean much. Mine has a really solid (and long) screw out focusing assembly, it would be classified as a dangerous weapon in some countries!

#5 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:57 AM

I'm a little late on this one. Tower was distributed through SEARS and was made by Towa, at least I thought all of them came from Towa. (As were many in this particular era)But I'm perplexed about the screw-in focuser, every Towa I've seen had the focuser secured with the standard 3 set screws. $175 is not bad for a 75mm f15 japanese refractor. And I imagine a pawn shop would come down a bit if you pressed them. These were well built solid scopes with very nice quality optics, actually for a period of 20-25 years the best telescope optics available commercially in the world. (outside of Zeiss for huge $$$$) Absolutely no comparison with the Chinese stuff now, although they are getting better. These are also getting really rare in the 75mm-80mm range. I once had the chance to buy an old 90mm Tasco from the late 50's early sixties, and for a song. Boy was I dumb to pass that one up. I have yet to see one again since. Pick one of these baby's up and slide in a .965"-1.25" adapter....now that 1.25" quality eyepiece......focuuuuuuusssss.........WOW!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics