•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small scope challenges...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:36 PM

How about some celestial pairings? Glorious sights or challenge objects...

How many folks have caught ngc6207 in the same field with m13 in their small scope? In my larger scopes it's quite obvious. I've glimpsed it in the 4 inch, but it took some effort.

Any others?

Tom T.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 July 2003 - 09:26 PM

Hi Tom!
Either it’s my astigmatism or the NexStar 5’s field curvature, but I think I may have glimpsed this under dark skies. At 85x with my 15mm Parks GS Plossl (0.6 deg. Field), I was scanning around M 13 (one of my favorite objects) for anything unusual (just as I do with my NexStar 80…searching for fuzzy objects) without studying any star maps. Near the edge of the field (to the right of M 13), I caught a glimpse of an elongated star, which may very well be NGC 6207. This may be the effect of my astigmatic (glasses are overcorrected), hallucinating novice’s eyes playing those dirty tricks on me again. I’ll try looking for NGC 6207 under dark skies again after the storm system passes.

Count me as a "half" person.

Cloudless, Peaceful Darkness…when will the dream of this observer’s nirvana ever prevail?

#3 Ron B[ee]

Ron B[ee]

Tyro

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:36 PM

Indeed, Tom. One never knows what sort of hidden goodies lies in the shadow of the popular gem :cool:. My 4-inch TV-102 Light Cup likes to look behind those "movie star" flood lights.

Ron B[ee]

#4 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:06 PM

Hmmm. Cahllenging objects: Well, last December when I first purchased my 4.5" Newt, they were all challenging. :confused:

But seriously, I find the "other" objects to be challenging. You know - globulars other than M13, galaxies other than M31, nebulae other than M42 and M8 ... resolution can be tough to acheive in M3, M4, and M5 for instance. M51 for me needs an extremely dark night, otherwise forget it.

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:25 AM

The open cluster NGC 2158 near M35 is a good pair for scopes 80mm and less. Somewhat similar is NGC 6802
at the eastern end of Collinder 399.

Dave Mitsky

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics