•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Binocular recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

Hi,
I am going on a Alaska cruise, looking for recommendations for some 8x42 light weight all purpose binoculars, The missus likes to bird watch and I will also use them for star watching. I have looked around and considering the following, Budget under 400. I use glasses.

Swift Ultra lite 8x42 $200
Oberwerk 8x42 $140
Eagle ranger 10x42 $400

Or should I go for it and get the Nikon Se 8x32? over 500

Any comments would be appreciated.

ZSO

#2 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:58 AM

Add the Swift Audobon 8.5x44s for birdwatching. I have heard (but never used) that they are excellent for birding but soft on the edges for astro. There will be other, much more experienced observers that will give you better recommendations. Have a fun cruise!

#3 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:12 PM

I am thinking that your list which includes Swift Ultra Lite 4x42 must be a mis-print, 4x42, you must mean 8x42? The 8x42 are good as would be Carton Adlerblick 8x42 which fit your budget. I have the 8.5x44 ED Swift Audubon and they are very sharp at field center, somewhat soft at the field edge, but as the field is 8.2 degrees vs. the 6.5 degrees with either the Carton Adlerblick or Swift Ultra-Light, you have a sharp field still somewhat larger than these later two.

Barry Simon

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2004 - 05:47 PM

Barry,
Yes that was a TYPO, 8x42,
Looking at the swift audubon, they have three different model, 828 roof prism, 820 and 820ed, ED's are exceeding the my price range. what the diff with these?

I am leaning towards the economical Oberwerk, would the higher priced swift justify the performance?

ZSO

ZSO

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:53 PM

I'd add to the list the Obewerk 8x56 - better for stargazing, although a bit heavier than the 8x42s.

#6 Claudio

Claudio

Mariner 2

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:08 AM

Make the effort to buy the Nikon 8x32 SE, you will buy one of the very best binocs for a still reasonable price. The new Swift 8.5x44 has very good quality but only in the centre of the view, losing too rapidly its sharpness when going to the edges, and the focusing mechanism is VERY disappointing (O rings between eyepieces and eyepiece tubes + plastic eyepiece bridges doesn’t make sense, it is a design mistake already seen in some Optolith Porro prism binoculars), its sloppy mechanics leads to re-focus very often, and the balance between left and right eyepiece varies continuously. The Nikon 8x32 SE is not at all waterproof, this is the only drawback, anyway I wouldn’t consider the new Swift 8.5x44 water resistant, but at most only showerproof. I have both binoculars, and never use the Swift, while the Nikon is among my four or five favourites.

#7 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:01 PM

Claudio,

I agree that Nikon SE 8 x 32 is the way to go , unless waterproofing is an issue of course.

From my impressions ( very brief ) I would say that to get a 8 x 32 binocular in the same league optically as the SEs that IS waterproof , one would need to go for either :

1. Swarovski EL
2. Leica Ultravid
3. Nikon High Grade (Venturer )

Any of which costs at least TWICE as much here in the UK.

From recent reports , I believe that if and when Zeiss extend their new fluorite range to 32mm models , the above could find themselves "slipping down the list of desireability" by one position.

Incidentally Claudio , welcome to this forum.

I already gather you know more than a thing or two about binoculars -- and would be interested to learn which other four binoculars you rate ( own ? )which you would categorise as being in the same league as the SEs.

Regards , Kenny.

#8 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:38 PM

Hi,
I am going on a Alaska cruise, looking for recommendations for some 8x42 light weight all purpose binoculars, The missus likes to bird watch and I will also use them for star watching. I have looked around and considering the following, Budget under 400. I use glasses.

Oberwerk 8x42 $140
Eagle ranger 10x42 $400

Any comments would be appreciated.

ZSO

How about the Bushnell Xtra-Lite 10x42mm Binoculars.

These easy-to-use 10 power binoculars weigh only 20.9 ounces (592.5g). Their light weight makes them easy to hold steady — a real plus in a binocular this size. The optics are fully multi-coated for bright, high-contrast images. Field of view is 320 feet [at 1000 yards]. Eye relief is 10mm. Close focuses to 16 feet.

ON SALE for $99

http://hardinoptical...alite10x42.html

#9 BillFerris

BillFerris

Soyuz

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

Oberwerk 8x42 $140
Eagle ranger 10x42 $400

The 10x42 EO Ranger is the better choice for birding on your cruise. They're lightweight, rugged, waterproof and the additional magnification will help with ID'ing shore birds and raptors from a distance. They can be used for astronomy but, personally, I lean towards a porro prism design for stargazing.

Bill in Flagstaff

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

Thank you all for your comments and after further search, I revised my budget to under $300. In considering the Nikon 8x32, I cound not justify the cost for the use. So I am considering the Nikon Monarch ATB which can be purchased online for about $250.

Question is which.... 8x42 or 10x42? Or am I making a mistake?

#11 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 August 2004 - 04:25 PM

I don't "know" the Nikon Monarch , so can't comment on that specific model.

Perhaps waterproofing could be an important factor ?

Be sure that the IPD adjusts narrow enough for your good lady , and if either of you wear glasses , make sure eye -relief is adequate.

These are very important considerations , regardless of quality of binocular , as is weight and ergonomics.

As regards the 8x v 10x choice , others will disagree , but if in doubt , I would go for the 8x for all round ease of use , steadier image ,brighter image and wider field of view.

These aspects seem to be particularly appreciated by relative newcomers to binocular use.

Good luck , Kenny.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics