•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Possible New Sunset Ray in Alexander, 2003/7/20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:56 AM

Date: 2003/7/20
Time: ~6:00 UT (2:00 a.m. EDT) to ~8:00 UT (4:00 a.m. EDT)
Coordinates: 40°20'43.4" north, 77°33'43.7" west
Elevation: 482 meters
Transparency: 8/10
Seeing: 5/10
Instrument: 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue Genesis sdf refractor
Oculars: 7mm Nagler type 6 with 2.5x Tele Vue Powermate (193x), 3-6mm
Nagler zoom (90 to 180x)

While observing Luna on Sunday morning, I noted what may be an unreported lunar light ray, and a triple one at that, in the moderately large walled plain Alexander (Rukl #13 - see http://www.astrosurf...lexander_01.jpg for an image). The narrow central ray was the longest. The two flanking rays were also narrow triangles. The visual effect of the three rays was striking and seemed almost gothic in appearance.

At the time that this was taking place my friend Tony Donnangelo and I were also viewing three other craters (Curtius, Lilius, and Julius Caesar) in which rays were taking place through his 14.5" Starmaster Sky Tracker Dobnewt.

The triple ray in Alexander was still progressing nicely when I turned in for the night.

Dave Mitsky
Harrisburg, PA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics