•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

(Another) New Scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#26 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:37 AM

I've only heard of one or two RV-6's with mediocre mirrors...all the rest are regarded as excellent, it ssems.

There was more han one source of RV-6 mirrors during the span of decades they were produced. I think UL (United Lens iirc) made many of them.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Jim

#27 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

Well! Tell us about the scope. Did you get a hot steaming deal? I bet Keith spent all day tearing this scope apart cleaning the tube mount optics lenses so it photos well. I am waiting for the show to start!
Bill
:gotpopcorn:

#28 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well, I'm back from spending an afternoon in the garage. Here's what $120 got me...a complete usable scope. Now, here's what I did to it and still need to do. (It is still almost completely disassembled.) The focuser was frozen, but that's been fixed and now works very well. The coating on the primary is about 95%, there is a small spot of dealuminizing under one of the clips. I'm going to leave it for now until everything else is back together and see how it performs. The secondary's coating is about 70%, so I am temporarily going to replace it with a 1/10th wave Newport Glass secondary from my Meade 6". If I have to realuminize the main mirror, I'll send in the secondary too. If not, then I'll just buy another secondary from Newport. The motor is shot, but all of the drive gearing is complete with no teeth missing and nothing stripped. I think there is a thread here that talks about replacement motors, so I'll research that later...thanks for archiving this, Mike! There is some cosmetic pitting on the RA and Dec shafts. I've got most of it buffed out, but there's still a little more to go. Nothing is broken, cracked or after-market as best I can tell. The rest is mostly small cosmetic work...shine up the setting circles, touch up black paint and just because I'm compulsive about such things, I'll smooth out the tube's surface and repaint it too. Then flock it. The tripod's paint is mostly good, but I'll probably take it in, do a quick sandblast on it to get the spots of bubbled paint off and reshoot that too. All in all, a fairly typical restore, and I believe worth it.

Keith

#29 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Any pictures Keith I am running out of popcorn. Were the eyepieces in good shape?
Bill

#30 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hi Bill,

I was so anxious, I didn't take any pictures. :foreheadslap:

I was wrong about the EPs. The ones I was thinking of must have been with another scope I was ogling. This one came only with a Criterion 18mm achromatic Ramsden. It appears intact (except for the cobwebs in front of the field lens...no kidding :scared: .)

Keith

#31 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

The motor is shot

Nope. The gears in the gearbox were pristine, but the rotor was seized. I unstuck that, cleaned the stator and voila...a working clock drive!

Keith

#32 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

See electricians can fix anything!
Bill

#33 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

Yup, seems so. Either that or its just a result of the same compulsive behavior I used to identify that unidentifiable Goto Kogaku part a few weeks ago.

I did determine that the age of the scope is somewhere between 1971 and 1978, as the motor is stamped 1-71 and the 1978 owners' manual says that they are now using one larger counterweight instead of two smaller ones. Mine has the one larger weight.

I think I'm just going to spend the $60 to have the mirror recoated regardless. It will be interesting to see how it performs against my Meade 6" f8.1. I know the Meade has a good figure, as the lines are straight up through 300 LPI on a Ronchi test, but the lines are a little rough at that level. It has a stock mirror. The Criterion's appears to be f8.3.

Keith

#34 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:05 PM

Bought my RV6 in 1960 or 61. In 1972 I bought a new C8. Was disappointed and sent it back for collimation. It was better when it came back but my humble RV6 put it to shame on sharpness and contrast. Sold the C8, still have the RV6.
Bonco

#35 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

Bought my RV6 in 1960 or 61. In 1972 I bought a new C8. Was disappointed and sent it back for collimation. It was better when it came back but my humble RV6 put it to shame on sharpness and contrast. Sold the C8, still have the RV6.
Bonco

Bonco, I sold the first C8 too, then sold RV6 but bought the same one back....

#36 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Bonco

RV6's still performing and being used 45 years later. I have a picture that was taken of the Venus/sun transit with an RV6 a few years ago and it's the best of many pic's I've seen. Also me thinks I read a comet was discovered just a few years ago with the humble RV6

Bonco, I sold the first C8 too, then sold RV6 but bought the same one back....

#37 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

Hey, can I hijack my own thread?

Anyway, it looks like John Siple has put a couple of refractors in the Classified section...a 3" equatorial S&S and a 2.4" Atco.
Keith

I'm glad you hijacked the thread Keith. I had forgot to check the classifieds recently and that ATCO almost slipped by. John and I made a deal and the ATCO has a new home. Like I really need another scope! This will help with my collection of Cave Astrola scopes I think. (an explanation will come later)

This scope seems to be in outstanding shape and will see duty mostly as a solar projection scope. $120 seemed like a resonable price and the ATCO is my first 60mm scope.
Bill

#38 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:20 AM

Ah, so you are the friend he spoke of when he told me he sold the ATCO. John is a great source for vintage optics when he's in a selling mood.

Keith (Can you guess where the Dynascope came from?)

#39 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hey Keith,
I am on my second case of popcorn and 3rd case of beer waiting for these pictures. Whats the problem in Oregon.
Bill
:rofl5: :gotpopcorn: :drinkspit:

#40 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

Well, I can show you a pile of parts...the two mirrors are en route to L&L...the tube is parked a corner. Its a pitiful sight, really, kinda like before the first shower and shave after spending a week on patrol (but without the stink :smirk:). Give me a chance to pretty it up, it'll be worth the wait.

Keith (at least you have a good excuse to drink more beer :lol:)

#41 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

Ok Keith just busting you. Its that bad huh. But I am sure you will have it looking like new soon.
Bill

#42 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

No prob'. Actually, it is quite straight. Minimal cosmetics, nothing JB welded, I've already fixed the drive, primary didn't need a recoat and recoating the secondart alone was almost as much as doing the two together, so it made sense to do both.

Keith ( I knews youse a jus' kidd'n')

#43 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

Ah, so you are the friend he spoke of when he told me he sold the ATCO. John is a great source for vintage optics when he's in a selling mood.

Keith (Can you guess where the Dynascope came from?)

That would be me. John is a good guy. I bought a set of rotating rings off him for a combination Cave/Meade/Fagin Frankenstein scope I'm working on. It's amazing what you can build with enough spare parts.

I get to meet John once a year at OSP and admire whatever little treasure he has at the time.
Bill

#44 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Well, I just got back from my friends' glass shop. They have a sandblaster and I spent an hour or so getting the bubbled paint and surface rust off of the parts that needed the cleaning. Painting starts later today.

Why can't people just take care of their scopes in the first place? :mad:

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics