•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron turnbuckles.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hi all,
Two things....
1) Did Unitron make a GEM mounting with 2" shafts?

2) I'm looking into installing a turnbuckle assembly on my Cave mount not only for alt adjustment but for increased stability of the mount. Cave GEM mountings were very weak in this area. Our club was given a large GEM mount which I believe may be a modified Unitron or a clone or a combination. I removed the turnbuckle assembly to study it and it looks remarkably similar to the ones on the Unitrons recently pictured. I should have pictures of the mount by the end of the week.

Does anyone have a source for small, precision turnbuckles?
Bill

#2 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hi Bill Lenny said somthing about knowing a company!

#3 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

Any quality ship's chandler would have what your looking for. Also racing cars use titaniaum turnbuckles.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Da Bear

#4 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

Hello folks!

No not turnbuckles! What you guys want is a coupling nut. As Da Bear gave you the link to McMaster-Carr's website, in the search type in coupling nut and you'll see what I mean. Now you then will just need to cut this down to size. The most important thing here is that you have someone look at your bolt ends to determine how many threads/inch or the pitch that you need. You could take yours off and go to a hardware store to have someone see what screws into what to determine the threads you need to order. Then you can call McMaster-Carr and they will help you over the phone I am sure...
Good luck ... and report back here your findings!

#5 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

Here's another option. I might try it.
Cut the rotating nut in half. Find a tube that will fit inside the nut as a spacer making the turnbuckle as long as required. Friction fit or weld/glue the spacer in place and you are home free using the split nut and factory attachment ends. This would look close to original. Having said that my chain works perfectly and looks nice too...but not original.
Bonco

#6 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. My thought was to use a couple of ball joint rod ends with a coupling nut with two jam nuts. I want to eliminate all play up or down in the altitude axis of the mount. Hows that?

Regarding my other question...did Unitron make GEM mounts with 2" shafts?
Thanks,
Bill

#7 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

Thanks,
Bill

I looked at a catalog picture of their 6 inch mount, it is enourmous and the shafts looked like thery were at least 2 inches in diameter. What a treasure to own one of those monstrosities. I wonder how many were built.
Bonco

#8 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Thanks,
Bill

I looked at a catalog picture of their 6 inch mount, it is enourmous and the shafts looked like thery were at least 2 inches in diameter. Bonco

Thanks for the response. I would appreciate it if someone could post a pic or scanned catalog image of a Unitron GEM with 2" shafts. I might not get out to the storage location of the mount I spoke about until next week so I have no images to share until then.
Thanks,
Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics