•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Well, I know this was dumb, but...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

I just bought

Meade 8x42's
Meade 7x50's
Meade 10x50's
Meade 12x50's

from sportsmansguide.com

Straight out of china, they aren't exactly high quality binos, but - I figure it will give me a chance to compare different sizes and magnifications.

I've already got a set of B&L legacy 8x25's (nice little binocs), Tasco Sonoma 8x40 ($20, but amazingly useful) and my recent purchase - Pentax PCF WP 10x50's.

$85 for all four. Heck, this is less than I dropped on my kids scope. Dumb, but fun, eh? What's a hopeless equipment junky to do on a rainy day?

Mike and Ed - forgive me. :lol:

Tom

#2 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:29 PM

We'll expect your report on resolving M57 first thing in the morning. ;)

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:50 PM

Tom,

I hope you are well insured.

Against INSANITY of course :-)

This might not be so dumb after all -- IF all four models are of equal quality , as you say , it will give you a chance to carefully compare the various configurations.

Regards and clear skies , Kenny.

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:57 PM

Shoot-out time! When is the review coming out?

How long can you hand-hold the 7x50s vs. the 10x50s vs. the 12x50s and then compare it to the 8x42s. Make sure to take a few minutes between trying each so fatigue is not an issue. It will be interesting to hear what you find out. Enjoy your new binocs, Tom.

#5 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

This might not be so dumb after all -- IF all four models are of equal quality , as you say , it will give you a chance to carefully compare the various configurations.

Actually, that was kinda my thought.

I was out the other night comparing my Tasco's and my new Pentax, and outside of the coatings and mechanics, was surprised to see how well the $20 pair stacked up. Sure the pentax stomped on em in terms of ergonomics and quality of construction, but the whole thing basically got me wondering if I wanted to pick up the 8x40 pentax PCF WP's. Especially after some of the comments about decent 8x40's in this forum...

There was a touch more resolution in the 10x50's, but I got to wondering: was that mainly due too better optics? More light gathering ability? Better coatings? Probably a combination of all three, but was there one that would make the biggest difference?

I noted that there are slight flares/halo's around very bright stars in both pairs, but I'm not sure if this was due to my astigmatism at larger exit pupils or optical flaws in the binos.

Then I got to thinking about the cheap closeouts over on sportsmans guide.com

Different binos - all from the same line. Hmmm.... Sure they are probably pretty bad, but they might help to answer some fundamental questions to my personal satisfaction.

Using say - the 12x50's will give me a chance to play with a smaller exit pupil, while the 7x50's will do for the larger. The 10x50's are mainly for comparision, while the 8x42's will give me a chance to compare performance to the 50's.

Also as Tom says, it will also be interesting to see how easy/hard it is to hand hold the higer power units vs the lower power ones. I'm surprised how easy it is to hand hold the 10x50 Pentax units.

I was initially just going to buy the 12x50's to see if the higher magnification would partially off set a "presumably" better quality pair of binos. Then I realized that I'd really better be doing this comparision with similar quality pairs.

So I thought I'd order the 12x50 and the 8x42's. Well - then I figured I should have the 10x50's to use as a comparision to the pentax, and then decided that at these prices, I might as well throw in the 7x50's just so I had one of each pair that they offered.

I dunno if I'll do a review/article on these or not (probably not - bino's aren't really my thing) but if folks are interested, I can at least post my findings here.

Tom

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:54 PM

Funny...seems like someone here mentioned sportsmansguide.com and cheap Meade binos just the other day.......

#7 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:55 PM

Yah, I saw that. I'd seen those before, but it was your post that kicked me into picking up a pair - or four.

Thanks!

T

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:47 PM

Tom,
Hope your happy with all 4...be interesting to see the QC differences between them. The more I use mine the more I can honestly say I like them....I think the coatings are lacking...but theyre not bad performers.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:14 AM

You're going to have to piggy back all of them at once, ya know? :p

#10 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

I suspect that I'll have em long enough to figure out what size I like. Then most of em will go up for trade - but YNK..

Tom

#11 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:40 AM

I guess we all do dumb stuff (dumb to some people anyway).

One of the last threads I was reading a week or more ago before I went away was the thread on the Nikon Action Extremes. They had been reduced to the initial offering price at Adorama. That price looked real good to me and I wanted to try out those Action Extremes.

So, last thing I did before I went away was ordered some Nikon Action Extremes.
8x40
10x50
and 12x50
Couldn't decide which ones, so I bought all three.

Just got to open the box and have a quick look AT them last night. Can't wait to get them out and see how they compare when looking THRU them.

They have real nice apparent build quality. I'm not crazy about twist-out hard eyecups, but that's a non-issue for me as I almost always use glasses. The right diopter adjustment is similar to the Orion Ultraview, but a little easier to get your fingers on. I was immediately impressed with the coatings quality and with the lack of obstructions internally.

So some point down the road there is potential for comparison, which I so much enjoy doing. BUT, with the growing list of all the other stuff that's now overdue, it could be some time.

edz

#12 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:11 PM

:roflmao:

#13 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:46 PM

Tom and Allister need to raise the priority of the Action Extreme Shootout! :ubetcha:

#14 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:12 PM

Well, all 4 sets showed today.

The 7x50's are obviously from a different run. They look similar, but have some differences. Different style eyecup and they came in a box instead of a plastic case. Coloration is slightly different as well.

Interestingly, in the DAY they seem a little inferior to the others - internal reflections seem a bit worse. But hey - that's looking though a dirty screen and window.

Coatings on all are a mite thin to say the least, but at this price <shrug>.

#15 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:50 PM

< Coatings on all are a mite thin to say the least, but at this price <shrug>. >

Tom, at that price ,I'd consider ANY coatings to be a nice surprise !

In fact ,actual LENSES could be looked upon as a bonus :-)

At a seaside resort here in the UK the other day, I saw a pair of glasses WITHOUT lenses selling for around half the price of these binoculars.

Admittedly they had attached to them a plastic nose , false lips and fake beard , but still ..............

Still eagerly awaiting "the OFFICIAL report"

Kenny.

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Wait til you see the internal relections at night.... :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics