•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

High Power Binoscope for outdoor mounting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

Hello- great Forum

I am looking for a high power binoscope for outdoor mounting for terrestrial viewing: I live on a river and want to mount the binoculars on a second floor outdoor deck

I have already been through a Soviet 20x110 Naval Ship's Binocular (too much rust!) and Vixen/Orion 75VPx125HFT/Orion 9474 (indoor only, and 45 degree eyepiece was a problem)

Now I am looking at Nikon's new 7448 binoscope which looks ideal: straight through eyepiece, outdoor rated... Fujinon also makes a similar scope

Anyone out there with experience with this application? Ideally I want something non ferrous (salt atmosphere) powerful, and substantial

Thanks for any input

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:40 PM

Oberwerk has 25/40x100 military binoculars that you might be interested in. They have a few other varieties with the 100mm objectives.

#3 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:44 PM

I don't think leaving quality optics permanently mounted outdoors is ever a good idea. I know it's done all the time in State and National Parks, and on battleships. But all do so with taxpayer monies paying for continual upkeep and replacement. Have you ever seen a set of those "scenic binoculars" that was worth looking through after it'd been out in the elements for a few seasons? I haven't. You've seen how even the legendary Soviet 20x110 Naval binoculars devolved in the elements. That's a shame, too, since those can be made into really spectacular star gazing instruments. In fact, the finest nebula binoculars I've ever seen were made from a set of those.

I was just reading this afternoon, about how depending on the type of glass used in the optical elements, extended exposure to moisture can cause everything from surface mottling, to lead sulfide deposits, to permanent milky lenses. That's before we even start talking about the damage that salt air will cause to the housing and any mount. I think if I were in your situation, I'd permanently mount the mount, but take the binoculars inside when not in use. There's no use ruining another fine set of giant optics just in the name of a little bit of convience.

Good luck

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:21 AM

Well, if the binos are going to be permanently pier mounted then, of course, that's going to be an issue. Definitely. When I read captainmark's post I guess I missed the tone of permanence. That would make me cringe to see large binos left out in the elements 24/7 all year.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the replies: I learned that the Nikon 7448 is not rated for permanent outdoor mounting and I understand the perils of leaving it outdoors

But I did come across a version of the Oberwerk 25/40x100 military binoculars designed for permanent outdoor mounting: it is the kind you see by the boardwalk with a coin slot for use: I ordered one with the coin slot disabled: it seems the perfect solution

Not sure if I am allowed to post links or prices: I can post the link if anyone is interested

Thanks again for the advice

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

Speaking for myself, I know the binos you are refering to. I hope they work out for you. Get back to us when you have it all setup. I'd love to see some pics.

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:27 AM

CM1

feel free to embed links in your posts. that's the best way to go. Nothing wrong with including pricing information.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics