•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Need a good source on how to use my telescope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:44 AM

hi, i want to learn to use the dials on my scope. Is there a good web site or book you can direct me to?

#2 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:22 AM

Sam Brown "All About Telescopes" Still after 36 years the best book on learning the history, optics, mechanics and how to use Telescopes that is available.

If I could afford it,(Bill Gates$$) I'd make sure this book was given to every amateur astronomer as soon as they bought or expressed an interest in a telescope.

"All About Telescopes has been called "the amateur astronomer's bible," our classic 200-page book is a highly-illustrated and easy-to-understand guide. Contents include: Getting Acquainted with the Telescope; Observing the Sky Show; Photography with your Telescope; Mirror Grinding and Testing; Telescopes you can Build; Telescope Mounts; Collimation and Adjustments; Telescope Optics. "

http://www.scientifi...tegoryID=192375

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:04 AM

thanks! i was trying to understand RA and DEC in my meade manual and i just wasnting fully grasping the concept.

aj

#4 Bob Pasken

Bob Pasken

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:40 PM

:D: I will have to agree that the Sam Brown book is an excellent choice. My first scope was a 3" edmund and I bought all of the individual booklets that make up "All about telescopes". Even today the booklets are still useful. One of the booklets has starcharts for the summer. These charts showed how to find a whole string of objects in the summer milky way by RA and DEC offsets from bright stars. I remember finding m8, m20, and m21 this way. I struggled with star-hopping (nothing in the finder ever looked like what was in the book), but once I learned how to use RA and DEC offsets I found most of the summer messier objects in just one summer. M29 and M26 still give trouble, but RA and DEC offsets are the only way I find them. I strongly encourage you to read the Sam Brown book and then use the setting circles to find DSOs. Summer is a great time to get started with this method, because of the many spectacular objects to see.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:59 PM

Ya i kept trying to understand the manual but it just isnt complete enough. I even got a Meade #531 motor for my telescope brand new on ebay for $16.75 without shipping!!!!!!! i looked on all the on-line store and it was like $90 or more so i gotta learn ra and dec to use it now, lol.

I tried star hopping for a few messier objects and galaxys a few night back to an avail. City skies dont help much though.

aj

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics