•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

binoccular size for kids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brian B.

Brian B.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with kids and binocculars....

I am trying to get my 7 year old daughter interested in astronomy. I am getting a pair of Orion Ultra-view 10x50s, but I am sure those will be too much for a 7 year old to handle. Does anyone have any expereince with what a kid of that age can handle? 8x42? Any recommendations?

Brian B.

#2 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:25 AM

I started my lad with a (lightweight) Greenkat 10x50 when he was 8. (Ten years later, he still has them.) The trick is in how to hold them -- see my http://astunit.com/faq/binhold.htm Obviously, I cannot tell objectively how well he was able to keep them steady, but he was able to follow star-hops that I taught him and, more to the point, having made an independent discovery of M34 :) , he devised a star-hop for me to follow so that he could show me what he had found. This suggests that they were at least sufficiently steady to be useful.

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:38 AM

Swift Ultralite , 8 x 42 is not only a decent bino , but is adjustable for narrower eyes than most , if not all other models of that size , which is probably about the best size for the situation.

As the model name suggests , this is a very light weighted glass , which will also be appreciated by a child.

The good thing is , it is not a very expensive model.

Good luck , Kenny.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:02 PM

My 12 year old is quite content with his Barska 10x50s, and his 8 year old cousin seems fine with them too. Though both tire of holding them before long, a tripod is a must if theyre interest holds.

The Meade 10x50s ive spoke about on here will not adjust narrow enough for their eyes....something to consider for kids. The Barkas adjust just fine.

#5 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 30 July 2004 - 03:27 PM

Swift Ultralite , 8 x 42 is not only a decent bino , but is adjustable for narrower eyes than most , if not all other models of that size , which is probably about the best size for the situation.

As the model name suggests , this is a very light weighted glass , which will also be appreciated by a child.

The good thing is , it is not a very expensive model.

Good luck , Kenny.

Yep.

Bill

#6 Brian B.

Brian B.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:12 PM

Thank you all for the information! I just made my binoccular purchases based on what I have read in this forum. I ordered the Swift Ultralite 8x42 as suggested (from astronomics, on sale for $179), for the daughter, wife, and general purpose use. And, after realizing that my under-utilized video tripod (Bogen 3020/3130 head)is recommended for binoccular use, I also ordered a pair of Oberwerk 15x70s to mount on it! ($149 from BigBinoculars.com, but on back-order. I hope for not long!) Based on the posts around the binoccular forum, this should be a pretty good binoccular setup?

Thanks again!

Brian B.

#7 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:53 PM

You love the 15x70's for sure.

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 August 2004 - 04:06 PM

Brian,

I'm very optimistic that you'll enjoy BOTH pair.

I think you chose well -- congratulations.

Clear skies , Kenny.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics