•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

atc 60 mm f 910

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

Here is an unusual classic scope and wood case that I never saw before. Looks like a tasco unitron style front optic with a focuser along the line of a tasco polarex might be a good one! Nice wood case.
Bill
http://tinyurl.com/2vcqod

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Interesting scope. Is that a polar finder I see in the mount head?

Too bad it's in such rough shape.

Although with a little TLC, as evidenced by many of the talented members of this forum, any old beater can be brought back to life and shine!

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#3 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Dont know Mike but look how heavy it is. Also look at the inside workmanship of the wood box with the wing nuts and wooden holders. Some time and thought went into that!
Bill

#4 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

Mike... Now this baby qualifies for a '50's scope. It just has that look aside from the abuse. Definitely not a polar scope in case you aren't tongue 'n cheeking us! :grin: :grin: Mike

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

It does have all the hallmarks of a quality piece. I did notice that detail in the case. I would love to see that scope when it is fully restored. :)

I was being half-serious about the polar scope. The mount head is both familiar-looking and quite-odd at the same time (to me) ...

It's definitely a level of craftsmanship that is at a true premium today.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#6 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:05 AM

I notice there doesn't seem to be a finderscope. Also notice the declination gear is perpendicular to the optical axis. To my knowledge this is not only rare but highly awkward to use for my personal tastes. Unless something is loose and skewed here? :question: :question: Mike

#7 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:41 AM

Um...I think its just (very) improperly set up. The polar axis needs to be raised up to the elevation appropriate for whatever latitude it winds up in, then the scope would have to be rotated 180 degrees in the cradle to put the finder bracket right side up, then the entire OTA rotated 180 degrees about itself to accurately sight in on Polaris.

Keith

#8 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

I was being half-serious about the polar scope.

It's a cap that unscrews and then you have access to a screw that can be used to loosen or tighten the slack in the Dec axis. But it does give the look of a vixen SP or Polaris mount that can take a polar scope. While the dec adjustment is good, there are a couple of other areas near the slo mo that can be sensitive to slack as well.

It's a nice mount, some are very, very tight.

Jae

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics