•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Oberwerk 22x100....first thoughts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:53 AM

After over a year of debating and overanalyzing im the new owner of Oberwerk 22x100s and a Bogen 3221/501(thanks to Nightwatch) The tripod and head are more than up to the task, thanks to this forum I got good sound advice on the Bogen heads (was close to going with the Bogen 3130) The 501 is perfect and seems built like a tank.

The curse everyone talks about does exist...the day they arrived it was raining. But late that night I got a short break in the clouds so I went out for look. Wow, the most amazing views ive ever had of the night sky. Given the conditions it was even more impressive. I only had a few minutes before the clouds rolled back in, the moon was also quite bright but the number of stars was amazing...MUCH more then I see with my 11x70s (expected of course...but still..wow) The moon was also amazingly clear and crisp, I noticed a thin yellow line around the edge...but not enough to bother me. The edge performance drop off is noticeable, and not quite as good as id hoped but im not complaining, with time it may become more of an issue to me.

The only immediate negative is getting the Binos tight on the tripod head...they want to swing around on me. I tightened the mount screw as much as I could....no luck there. I slid them back (towards me) hoping to minimize the forward weight, but the barrels eventually touch the head so you can only go so far. Its unnerving to have your binos swap ends in an instant. Anyone have thoughts on this??

#2 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:24 PM

Maybe rubber washers or cut up a rubber jar opener and metal washer. The better grip might keep them from spinning. My Obie 20x90s stay put on a wooden mounting plate (no washer except on the 1/4-20 bolt), but tilt from side-to-side. I'm looking at making a small bean bag to stabilize them.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

Uh. Rubber washers. I wish I had thought of that when I had them. The added friction should help. Good one Craig.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Theres a black metal ring that comes with the binos...it finally dawned on me what its for. :foreheadslap: It threads on the bottom of the mounting post to spread the footprint out, it makes contact with the rubber strips on the bogen head and keeps the whole setup much steadier.

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:13 PM

Well, the Oberwerk instructions are not exactly stellar (a little play on words, there, I suppose)....

At least you've got 'em up. I still think that set is one of the bigger bargains out there.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:31 PM

Amen Rusty....they're exactly the same instructions that came with my 11x70s.

Small update....
After a couple of more sessions with these things...full moon and all..I have to say im impressed....they are very cool. The extra magnification opens a whole new world(or would that be universe...) These things are great! Im more excited than ever.
I have to agree with Rusty, and add that everyone should have a pair....:)

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:56 PM

For real intense action, one should try replacing the winged eyecups with the ones recommended for eyeglass wearers - it took me 1/2 hour to get the danged things on...but it was well worth it.

BTW, I keep mine on Quickset Samson tripods (have a couple with different heads), and they're a joy to use.

#8 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:10 AM

everyone should have a pair....:)

No thanks. Been there and done that. Not again. :p :crazy:

Anyway, I'm glad you're having fun with your set. :)
These do represent an interesting phenomena to me. It's very similar to the radically differing perceptions that swirl around the Canon IS binoculars. Some folk rave about them, while other folks rant about them. It just goes to show how differently we all perceive things.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics