•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mock the NEAF (with apologies to Lotte Lenya)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

Just back from it- lots less there variety wise than in previous couple of years (but then I've only been there 3 times!). The only vintage piece of note I picked up was an old Criterion 16.3mm Erfle ep at the Vernonscope table. Not too bad (checked it out in one of their scopes), though no coatings were evident. I already have two larger FL Celestron Erfles, which I like a lot.

There weren't a lot of vintage eps available at NEAF, but I always keep my eye out, as it were....

Did any of you see the huge Quickset tripod and dolly that were being offered by HandsOnOptics? That should probably count as vintage- should be able to handle a nice big scope (such as the old Meade 16 inch displayed near it), or big, big binoculars. Too pricey for me, though, with my limited budget this year. Oh well.

At the Vernonscope table as well there were antique scopes- a ten draw refractor and an old Gregorian reflector.

Jess Tauber

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Don's always got the goods. The erfle sounded dirty, but straight. I'm probably gonna contact Don monday and see if I can get it.

Apparently the old WWII 6x42 Sards he had there were absolutely the best binoculars on site.

Keith

#3 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Vanguard

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

There was almost no used stuff anywhere. Hands On Optics used to have tables full of odds and ends, but this year there was nothing, at least nothing of any interest to me.

#4 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

I DID buy the thing. He cleaned it up for me right then and there. Sorry (oh, like I'm really sorry.....)! I checked out Amart's ads for this and found that the prices asked ranged anywhere from $30 (instant sale) to over $130 (potential buyer never did get back to him?). Based on this, I really didn't end up spending too much or too little (though Don(?) looked a little chagrined he let me have it at the price quoted once he took a better look at it through the scope).

Hey, he sweet talked me into buying it and I was a willing seductee (is that even a word?).

Jess Tauber

#5 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

How much does he want for the Sards? Jess Did you see any Zeiss eyepieces?
Thanks
Bill

#6 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

Actually I DID see some Zeiss ep's there, but I don't remember which table they were at. They might have been at Markus Ludes'? I got to chat with him a couple of minutes- he's been a bit of a controversial figure of late.

Jess Tauber

#7 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

The Sards were $1200.

Keith

#8 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thanks! Thats where Keith said they would be also.
Bill

#9 jouster

jouster

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

There was almost no used stuff anywhere. Hands On Optics used to have tables full of odds and ends, but this year there was nothing, at least nothing of any interest to me.

There was a gigantic Meade reflector - Research Grade, I think they called them - at the swap table. Pretty decent price too. Far too big for me, though.

#10 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:29 AM

Neil,
you mean that blue 16" reflector(old Starfinder) on the EQ mount for $1200.00. looked kind of beat-up for that price.
bruce

#11 jouster

jouster

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, I thought so too. There were some drill holes in the body and the mount looked kinda tired. But those were reputed to have terrific optics. Could have been a great restoration project for someone with some time and a permanent site.

#12 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

Did you guys see the Quickset tripod next to the Meade- $600 was kinda pricey for it too. But what a setup for really big binos.

Jess Tauber

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

Did you guys see the Quickset tripod next to the Meade- $600 was kinda pricey for it too. But what a setup for really big binos.

Jess Tauber

Was it one of these?:

Quickset Gibraltar

Jon

#14 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

Nope- this one had telescoping (!) tubular legs with a very heavy central hub and fat plate on top of at least a 2" central column. Even without the legs extended this thing was about 6 feet with the column raised. With the legs add at least another two, maybe three feet. My budget was limited this year due to the needs of restoration of housefire damage and losses. Otherwise it would be in my garage probably. Who needs pizza?

Jess Tauber

#15 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

I talked with Don for a while and asked about his vintage scopes that he had on display. His favorite was the white one - shown in the pic in Tom Trusock's article: http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1651

It's a Zeiss 63/840 :^)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics