•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alignment tips here...

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#301 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

Another night and no single success, starsense now go from 20 - 40 minutes scanning the sky with most messgae @ few stars

I see that in the manual provided it asks for a country and city , this option doesn't pop up in my HC?

Edited by Zakariya, 22 July 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#302 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Even in my light polluted area I see greater than 60 stars with starsence.  Last time out I forgot to remove the lenses cap on Starsence, that did cause few stars to be seen!  Took me several attempts before I noticed the cap.

• Gary Z likes this

#303 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

Another night and no single success, starsense now go from 20 - 40 minutes scanning the sky with most messgae @ few stars

I see that in the manual provided it asks for a country and city , this option doesn't pop up in my HC?

Is this a new StarSense or perhaps second hand?  It sounds like the camera has an issue since it normally detects 80 to 100 stars even in light polluted skies.  One possible cause is accidental unscrewing the lens which defocuses it.  To date, I haven't heard of a sure-fire method to refocus.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.nexstarsite.com

#304 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:18 AM

Even in my light polluted area I see greater than 60 stars with starsence.  Last time out I forgot to remove the lenses cap on Starsence, that did cause few stars to be seen!  Took me several attempts before I noticed the cap.

Do you mean the black cover of the camera ? sure will be removed before ON the camera

#305 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:19 AM

Is this a new StarSense or perhaps second hand?  It sounds like the camera has an issue since it normally detects 80 to 100 stars even in light polluted skies.  One possible cause is accidental unscrewing the lens which defocuses it.  To date, I haven't heard of a sure-fire method to refocus.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Yes it is a new StarSense. The stars detected very rarely went to 90 stars and 99 % are all between 10 - 40 stars and most are 10 - 20. 

#306 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

Now I got the message Application init please wait , I removed HC and update it and it did update , and back again with the message Application init even in computer

#307 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

Yes it is a new StarSense. The stars detected very rarely went to 90 stars and 99 % are all between 10 - 40 stars and most are 10 - 20. 

I would recommend you return it for a replacement unit.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#308 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

Yes  it was that big black lens  cover that I forgot to remove.  StarSense was still reporting stars (but in the 20 range) with the cover on.  Why aren't lens caps dayglow orange?  Even after I removed the lens cap, I then forgot to remove the sort of clear EP cover on the N12, which made the view of Jupiter terrible.  Most of my EP's have dayglow orange tape on the EP caps to make them easier to see, seems I forgot 2 rather important ones!  Finally I got back the great view of Jupiter that  night!  Only to really botch things up by updating the mount and hand controller later, and having the motor controller board glitch.  The mount is on the truck for delivery back to me today from Celestron.  I have to say Celestron was easy to work with!  I have  no idea what happen to cause the glitch to the motor controller, as I have used CFM many times before.  

#309 Zakariya

Zakariya

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

Unfortunately still cannot do the alignment , now i have tried with the nexstar that came with the scope and update it and tried auto two star and skyalign with no avail at all. Always give fail

Do you guys have alternative ways of observing manually ? and what about if using autoguide port ?

#310 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

Hi Michael, is there a way to get Skyalign working again? Worked perfectly until I did the latest update. Thanks.

#311 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

Hi Michael, is there a way to get Skyalign working again? Worked perfectly until I did the latest update. Thanks.

I don't know of any reason the latest firmware would cause problems with SkyAlign, but general tips from my book:

• Be sure to level the tripod before you start. Assumptions about the available bright stars and planets rely on a level tripod. Once the alignment is complete, GoTo and tracking are not dependent upon the accuracy with which you leveled the tripod, so do not spend time seeking perfect level; close is good enough.
  • If you do not have a GPS-equipped telescope, be accurate to within a couple of minutes when entering the time. Also, either select a city within 50 miles or enter your longitude and latitude to within a degree or two.
  • Only stars of magnitude 2.5 or brighter are included in the SkyAlign procedure, so it is best to take a look around and select three of the brightest stars in the sky.
  • No need to worry about confusing planets for stars; SkyAlign works with the four brightest planets as well (Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars). You can even use the Moon as one of your alignment objects, although, due to the speed it moves across the sky and the angular size (you would need to switch to a low-power eyepiece to center it), it is recommended you avoid it when possible.
  • It is still important to select widely placed objects for alignment. Keep this in mind when scanning the sky before you begin. Only the two most widely separated objects will actually be used for calculating the model of the sky. The third object is only needed to provide a positive identification of the other two.
  • Rarely, SkyAlign will not be able to determine what three objects were centered.  To minimize this occurrence, if you see two bright objects near to each other (as will sometimes happen as a planet or the Moon passes near one of the brighter stars), do not use either of these objects. Also, it is best to select three objects that do not lie on a straight line.

I don't state it in that list, but when possible you should avoid using the planets or any stars nearby a planet.  Planet positions are calculated with less precision than stars and as I noted in that last bullet above, SkyAlign will have problems IDing two candidate objects that are near one another.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• Gary Z, RazvanUnderStars, kellyvictoria and 1 other like this

#312 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

Lately I've been trying with Altair, Vega and Mizar. Scope has GPS also.

Edited by Procyon, 29 July 2018 - 11:13 PM.

#313 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

So, Altair, Vega and Mizar 'violate' the very last sentence in the last bullet of my list: they are in a straight line.  I can't state definitively that this will always cause a failure, but it has been said to cause problems.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

• kellyvictoria likes this

#314 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

Thanks, I'll look for another trio, didn't think it was a straight line type.

#315 Thierry28722

Thierry28722

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

This isn't really a question about alignment, it's more of a question about how to use my telescope. I just bought a celestron nexstar 4se and I used it for the first time yesterday. I could see the moon, but that's about all. I thought, based on the picture on the package that this thing would have a lot more reach than it does. I'm new at this so forgive me if I don't know much, but does this telescope allow me to see other planets and such right out of the box or do I have to buy something else to be able to see them better? I did see saturn, very very small, and I could barely see, if I looked very hard, the rings, I think. I want to see better than that though. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.

Hi ,

Try to find a "Barlow" of good quality which will multiply by two your 25mm original lense , opt for a straight one ( not the one with a 45°angle which deforms the image) And you will see Saturn with les anneaux .

I have the same telescope 4SE and this is what I have done to get better views .

Edited by Thierry28722, 18 August 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#316 dcann

dcann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:29 AM

Hello.  I've read through most of these messages in this forum and I haven't seen the particular problem I am seeing with my new 6SE scope.

We've tried 2-star alignment, 3-star alignment, SkyAlign, etc, all unsuccessful.  We've read all the common errors here and I think we've avoided them.  With 2-star alignment, for example, we hit Navi and Altair and the system says alignment success, and then indeed the FIRST object we scan is a success.  However, consistently the second object is way off - sometimes pointing directly up.  It's strange that the first object would work but the second is a failure.  It's not a power problem, I'm 99.9% certain I'm hitting the right stars.

What gives?  Is this is software/firmware glitch?  Any suggestions would be helpful!  This is driving me nuts.  Thanks!

#317 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:48 AM

Hi,

My first recommendation is to head into the menu and execute the Factory Settings command to reset everything.

Next, a question: if you press down on the front of the optical tube, does it resist enough that you are confident it doesn't slip during or after alignment?

The next suggestion would be to reload the firmware in the hand control. Most likely this is a NexStar+ hand control (look for that label vice NexStar* under the display) - you will find how to articles at the bottom of this page of my website:
https://www.nexstars...om/Firmware.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#318 dcann

dcann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:10 AM

Thank you very much - I will try these out!

#319 dcann

dcann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:05 AM

Well I'm 99% sure I figured it out.  It was indeed the battery.  I had bought a PowerTank and had it connected to the telescope, but had left the old AA batteries still in there as well.  I  had thought the telescope would prioritize the external power supply, but it didn't - it was relying on the old dead AA batteries.  As soon as I removed the AA batteries, the alignment went great and the motor zipped around with ease.

I had also done reset to factory settings as well prior to the battery change.

Thanks for the help - can't wait to start using this new toy!

#320 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

• Vendors

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Normally it does default to external power but totally dead AA batteries could definitely be an issue.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
http://www.NexStarSite.com

• donstim likes this

#321 RBaerwald

RBaerwald

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

auto 2 star alignment works for me, here in the Florida Keys.

Start with sirius, center, align and 6se slews to capella.

Both near zenith at about 9 pm eastern daylight savings time.

After a scope session, I bring scope inside, so I turn it

off, since don't know when I will do another session.

When I turn it off, I loose alignment and have to

do it all over again.

I am getting a lithium ion power cell so at least

my power will be portable.  Had been using

12 volt adapter outside with extension cord.

Hibernate won't work-----I WILL NOT leave

my scope outside.

Here is my question, can I leave the scope (hand controller)

on bring in the house and let it sit ( on) till I use it again??????

Will I burn out controller, or will the software default to

start alignment again??????

Any help would be appreciated,

Roy Baerwald

#322 RBaerwald

RBaerwald

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

Are there different levels of alignment for celestron scopes,

as far as slew accuracy???

sincerely,

Roy J Baerwwald

Noobie

Edited by RBaerwald, 08 February 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#323 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:32 AM

For leaving the scope “on” between sessions it would be necessary to set it up precisely in the same location and orientation if using the previous alignment is the goal. You might be able to pull this off with a permanent pier, but definitely not with a portable tripod getting set up each session. 

But it if you could do that, then I think you could just use the hibernate feature, making it unnecessary to leave it powered up. 

Have I misunderstood what you have in mind?

#324 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

sincerely,

Roy J Baerwwald

Noobie

My experience is that goto’s, tracking, and backlash are significantly improved with the CPC series vs the SE series of Celestron alt-az mounts. Worm gears vs spur gears. 

#325 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

sincerely,

Roy J Baerwwald

Noobie

If the question is regarding differences for 1-star, 2-star, or 3-star choices, the answer is that anything using 2 stars, whether auto or manual, maxes out the pointing accuracy. (The StarSense system is entirely different and the preceding does not apply). 

You might also try the Precise GoTo option for locating dim objects, or the Sync option if you are observing multiple targets in one small area. 

My favorite method of aligning (non-StarSense) is

• choose 1-star option
  • align on Polaris (easy to find, hard to mistake)
  • confirm Alignment Successful
  • GoTo/slew to a star in the south
  • Replace “Unassigned” with the second star
  • you now have a 2-star pointing model

If there is a bright planet visible, and you want to start before complete darkness, then change the above to

• solar system align
  • align to Jupiter, say
  • confirm “alignment successful”
  • GoTo/slew to a star in the north (look for it in wide angle eyepiece, or finder scope, even if not visible naked eye)
  • replace “Unassigned” with second star
  • later, when skies are darker and Stars easier to see, replace Jupiter as an alignment for better pointing model

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics