•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alignment tips here...

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#351 luaprelkniw

luaprelkniw

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kingston, ON

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

do you have a good recommendation for a model of magnifying finderscope to replace the small finder scope on a celestron 8se.  

During my search for finderscopes I found several of acceptable price and quality.  However, where the variations come in is the features that you're seeking.  Do you want illuminated crosshairs?  Do you want a reversed image view?  Some people like right-angle viewfinders - they go well with dobs and newtonians.  All these cost more.

I am happy with my reversed-image, illuminated crosshair 8 X 50 viewfinder.  It's by Explore Scientific and cost $169 USD.  You could get a much cheaper finder though, and this one would be rather big for an 8" scope.  

On the other hand, the little 6 X 30 finder on my Takahashi refractor has nothing . . . except good optics.  It costs $153.  And though I love it, I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone, because it's just not the best value for your money.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics