•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alignment tips here...

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#351 luaprelkniw

luaprelkniw

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kingston, ON

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

do you have a good recommendation for a model of magnifying finderscope to replace the small finder scope on a celestron 8se.  

During my search for finderscopes I found several of acceptable price and quality.  However, where the variations come in is the features that you're seeking.  Do you want illuminated crosshairs?  Do you want a reversed image view?  Some people like right-angle viewfinders - they go well with dobs and newtonians.  All these cost more.

I am happy with my reversed-image, illuminated crosshair 8 X 50 viewfinder.  It's by Explore Scientific and cost $169 USD.  You could get a much cheaper finder though, and this one would be rather big for an 8" scope.  

On the other hand, the little 6 X 30 finder on my Takahashi refractor has nothing . . . except good optics.  It costs $153.  And though I love it, I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone, because it's just not the best value for your money.

• thundherr likes this

#352 thundherr

thundherr

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

when using a celestron 8SE,  do i have to use a wedge if i want to polar align ?    

i do not own a wedge yet. 

i have been using the two star aligment.  some times it fails.    what procedure do you use for viewing ?  

#353 luaprelkniw

luaprelkniw

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

Polar alignment is for equatorially-mounted telescopes.  If the mount is well-aligned, the telescope will scan or track the sky using only one axis, improving photographic results and making eyepiece viewing easier.  You could definitely buy a wedge for your scope, and then you would need to polar align. Before you make the purchase, I suggest you research others' experiences.  For example, I've read that some find the Celestron wedge too flimsy for good photography (which would be your main reason for buying one.)  They're also quite expensive.

For alt-azimuth mounts (like Celestron Nexstars) you use one of the alignment methods provided with the computerised mount.  If two-star alignment doesn't work well, you can use Sky-Align.  I like Sky-Align because it doesn't require all three objects to be in the same class (ie planets, stars.)  So I can align my scope in twilight before most objects have appeared.

• Cbhood87 and thundherr like this

#354 thundherr

thundherr

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

i tried to use sky-align for the first time last night.   the display indicated "failed" afterwards.   

im going to repeat the sky-align using different stars.

i am having doubts about so many two star and now sky-align failures. 

thank God for the internet so i can ask questions on cloudy nights.  lol  

for now, i will practice when the weather is clear.  last night was awesome.

#355 Jay6821

Jay6821

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

A frequent contributor to these forums, Michael Swanson, has written a NexStar User's Guide that I highly recommend. It is full of information that I found very helpful as a beginner. It's available on Amazon.

• thundherr likes this

#356 thundherr

thundherr

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

A frequent contributor to these forums, Michael Swanson, has written a NexStar User's Guide that I highly recommend. It is full of information that I found very helpful as a beginner. It's available on Amazon.

thank you Jay, i will order that right now.   

• Jay6821 likes this

#357 thundherr

thundherr

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

confession time,  i failed to mention that i do not have a smart phone.  im still using a flip phone at work.  lol

my youngest son joseph walked by as i was viewing super clear skies  after midnight saturday.

joseph mentioned,  "dad  do you know that there are apps for smart phones that will tell you what constellation that you are looking at ?"

: - )  

i just found some you tube videos about the app called Skyview.   

amazing technology.  

what do you guys think of skyview ?

• Procyon likes this

#358 luaprelkniw

luaprelkniw

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

Of course I don't know what happened to you, but my SkyAligns have failed when 1. I take too long to centre and align the three objects, or 2. when I have failed to meticulously level the mount using the bubble level.

There may be different causes for alignment failure, but I haven't experienced them yet.

Paul

PS I enthusiastically recommend the Nexstar User Guide, although it is not inexpensive.

i tried to use sky-align for the first time last night.   the display indicated "failed" afterwards.   

#359 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

confession time,  i failed to mention that i do not have a smart phone.  im still using a flip phone at work.  lol

my youngest son joseph walked by as i was viewing super clear skies  after midnight saturday.

joseph mentioned,  "dad  do you know that there are apps for smart phones that will tell you what constellation that you are looking at ?"

: - )  

i just found some you tube videos about the app called Skyview.   

amazing technology.  

what do you guys think of skyview ?

Probably it’s fine. Many CNers, including me, use SkySafari. It is excellent. 

#360 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:35 PM

To save troubleshooting time, try a 1-star (or solar system alignment). If neither gives a good rough alignment, then you have time or location set wrong most likely. 

Once a 1-star alignment gets you in the ballpark, you know time/location is OK. Then move on to 2-star. Forget SkyAlign. It really doesn’t offer much advantage, takes more time, and is subject to frequent failures. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics