•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1980's Vixen/Celestron Super Polaris Mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#26 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Is this just a cosmetic cover plate, or does the RA drive actually mount to the plate? If it's the former, then it's no big deal. If I need this plate to mount a drive (which I plan to do eventually), then I will need this plate. The seller made no mention of it. I'll email him and see if he has it laying around.

Otherwise, I agree that it is a very nice mount. I am pleased with it. Now that my scope tube is properly balanced, it tracks very smoothly.

Bonco, do you know anything about the half-pier extension that Vixen made for this mount?

Regards,

MikeG

#27 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

Yikes...Sorry Mike I looked closely and the RA drive box mounts into the cavity. Therefore the cover plate is just cosmetic to cover the cavity if you don't have a drive. Hope this helps.
Bonco

#28 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:06 PM

Mike could you get me the size of that 90 degree screw device below the polar scope.
Thanks
Bill

#29 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

Mike no cover plate is missing mine is the same. Unless mine is missing also which I doubt. But mine does not have that hole.
Bill

#30 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Mike no cover plate is missing mine is the same. Unless mine is missing also which i doubt
Bill

Well then if there is no cover plate then they should have made one to cover that awful cavity that begs for one. :roflmao:
Bonco

#31 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Mike, the cover I think you are talking about is the cover for the RA Motor mount. If there ever was a motor on the unit, it had to be removed. I noticed that you don't have the Dec bracket for a Dec Motor (Later units had them built in).
Looks a lot like mine I got in Jan. Only thing I am missing is the small top cover for the polar scope. Could you measure exactly what yours is so that I can try to find the right one :)
Only thing I had with taking apart and regreasing, I have not gotten my gears to sit cleanly. They are either too loose or bind. Fine for manual, but I roboscoped mine and have gone through a motor or 2 when it suddenly binds. Love to know anyone's input on technique for adjusting the SP mounts. Most of the web adjustment sites are for the CG5/GP mounts, and the screw setup is different!
I got an SPC-8 Starbright with an original Sky Sensor for 460 local pickup. The only trouble with the Sky Sensor is it is only good for lower powers. It uses a Pulse motor with very noticeable beats. Even the manual says not to use it for higher powers and that there will be a noticable beat/throb. I picked up a single axis controller and motor and installed it, much smoother tracking, even at very high power. Mine was originally purchased in Dec 85.
Roboscoping with autostar has been interesting, but using the DS gears/motors has only been marginal at positioning. I wanted it for goto and computer guiding, not there quite yet. Autostar does track well once it is on an object.
Brian
3 c-8's 1972, 1980, 1985
C-90
Cometron 62mm
11x80 Meade

#32 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

Just saw the second page of pictures. You have the newer mount that has the ability to hold the motor by the central screw. Mine does not have the small hole in the center.

Mike,
Could you do something for me. Look in your polar scope. You should have the circle for centering polaris off to one side. If you set the line the circle is on to the Jan 1 position on the white outer ring, at what date does the little white mark appear that is on the black ring next to the white date ring?
Mine is around early Sept.
Brian

#33 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Mike,
Looked at the pictures again, got Bill's pictures mixed up with yours. It appears you do have the dec motor mount, if that is what I saw peeking out under the box with the cables.
Brian

#34 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

Brian -

Looks a lot like mine I got in Jan. Only thing I am missing is the small top cover for the polar scope. Could you measure exactly what yours is so that I can try to find the right one

Do you mean the polar objective cover or the bulbous cap that goes over the eyepiece end of the polar assembly?

Could you do something for me. Look in your polar scope. You should have the circle for centering polaris off to one side. If you set the line the circle is on to the Jan 1 position on the white outer ring, at what date does the little white mark appear that is on the black ring next to the white date ring?
Mine is around early Sept.

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow on that one. I have never messed with the polar scope assembly yet. I checked the illuminator and looked through the scope to make sure it worked, but other than that I have not fiddled with it yet. I can't see Polaris from my usual observing spot. :(

It appears you do have the dec motor mount, if that is what I saw peeking out under the box with the cables.

Yes, that is the DEC motor bracket, serving double duty as a mounting point for my finderscope illuminator. I don't forsee installing a DEC motor anytime soon, so why let a good bracket go unused? ;)

I am going to get a RA motor soon.... after I do some pruning on a tree in my yard that obscures Polaris.

Right now the scope and mount is outside. I was doing quick lunar observing through some sucker holes. Seeing is bad. But I got good low power views, around 75x to 100x before the view got soupy.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#35 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:28 PM

Mike, the one I need measurements on is the little one that attaches where the illuminator attaches. I have the large one that goes over the polar scope eyepiece and rings.
Brian

#36 JohnG

JohnG

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

I bought the orange tube Celestron C6 Newtonian in the early 80's with a mount similar to JWW's. Except that my mount has a threaded counter weight shaft and two 10 pound threaded weights.

My problem is the altitude adjuster. For some reason the casting that holds the adjusting bolt (I guess it's a casting) doesn't hold the bolt at the correct angle to meet that silver plate the bolt rides against.

I thought the casting must have been bent, but on closer inspection it doesn't appear so. Other pictures I've seen of this mount show the altitude adjusting bolt at a sufficient angle to make the appropriate adjustments just like JWW's mount.

Other than the altitude adjusting problem the mount is smooth. Back when I bought it I got the "deluxe" model with the right ascension drive.

The method for adjusting the altitude is all I have against this old mount. Too bad mine doesn't have the later improvement where altitude is adjusted from the back of the mount.

In my opinion this mount can handle a varitey of small and medium telescopes really well for visual use. I bought the orange tube C6 back then for portability and star parties.

I didn't know Celestron also made an eight inch f/5 in this series until later. When one came up for sale on AM I snapped it up. Compared to the C6 it looks like a monster sitting on the mount, and takes about eight pounds more weight, about 28 pounds total to balance the tube. Looks like that puts a lot of pressure on the altitude adjuster bracket.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics