•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sears 6333-A solar set up question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:42 AM

ok, dont every one start laughing at once now.......but I wanted to use my Sears as a solar set up with the white plate and the rod that attaches it, sorry dont know the terminology,but the instructions arent exactly clear, do you remove the ep??? so the suns image come straight out of the diagonal? I think this makes sence , as Id be afraid the sun might damage the original ep.

#2 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hi Andy,

You must use an eyepiece. I used to use a simple Kellner that was a old one. Years ago I used to use a 20mm Ramsden design.

Use a 20mm or 12mm eyepiece. Those "SR" eyepieces will do. SR stands for Symmetrical Ramsden. Those are great for solar projection.

#3 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:18 AM

Hi Andy

Another route is using your refractor for visual solar observing.

Dracodesigns.com sells Baader solar film in very economical amounts... For less that $5 I got a piece to make a solar filter for that little Jupiter 50mm scope I just got. It works superbly and doesnt heat up the scope.
Takea look at the ATM forum under "Soupcan Solar filter"

Hopethat helps

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics