•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fecker guidescope on eBay.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

Here's one you don't see often :

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=330115747872

It's a Fecker guidescope for an observatory scope.

Regards,

MikeG

#2 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Nice, I put in tracking only bid...

Da Bear

#3 gnabgib

gnabgib

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

I know it says it is a Fecker BUT it has all the hallmarks of a TINSLEY to me. The focuser and dust cover design look exactly like the ones on my old Tinsley 8 and 12 inch cassegrains. Did Tinsley Labs copy the Fecker designs or is there some other connection between the two companies?
Regards
Kevin

#4 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

Yes, I was just informed it is a Tinsley and was an optional addition to their 12" cassegrain. I had discussion here some time ago and the concensus leaned toward Fecker, as it came with the Fecker eyepiece probably. One fellow stated it looked like the guidescope they had on their 12". I forget what observatory it was...I'll find that old post. But yes, it does in fact appear to be from Tinsley labs. I must say though that the guidescopes for Tinsley and Fecker look very similar, perhaps both companys sub-contracted some of their components from a common Mfg.? I hate to let it go, it's built to last many lifetimes. You'd really have to "feel" it to believe it.

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:01 AM

Optically speaking, how good do you think it is?

#6 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:24 AM

It's superb. But then one would expect it to be. I don't dare imagine how much Tinsley or Fecker charged to commission one of their observatory setups. And to put the kind of labor, material and craftsmanship into the mechanicals just to place a mediocre objective in it would be crazy.

#7 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

Actually, I've heard that a number of larger Tinsley opticals ended up being quite a bit subpar.

Jess Tauber

#8 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

Well I couldn't comment on that, I've never been within shouting distance of one. Hmmmmm....Jess did you happen to buy that Bushnell Skychief here of late. The blue & silver one?

#9 gnabgib

gnabgib

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

Didn't Tinsley Labs make the corrective optics to "fix" the Hubble telescope? They make some exotic very high end stuff!
I remember on one visit there they were working on some 40 inch flourite lenses for the Livermore National Laboratory laser fusion project. It is amazing what can be made when money is no object!!
Kevin

#10 WRose

WRose

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:45 AM

Didn't Tinsley Labs make the corrective optics to "fix" the Hubble telescope? They make some exotic very high end stuff!
I remember on one visit there they were working on some 40 inch flourite lenses for the Livermore National Laboratory laser fusion project. It is amazing what can be made when money is no object!!
Kevin

You're correct Kevin. I've been fortunate enough to have the pleasure of working with a 32" Tinsley high speed tracking refractor. They make some excellent glass.
As for this guide scope, I placed a tracking bid early but IMHO a good Zeiss Telementor will provide better viewing. The value of this scope is it's rarity for collectors.

#11 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Well. it's gone. :bawling: At least it went to a good home. Scott Losmandy bought it for a 8" Tinsley Cass he has. Yes, that Losmandy! It was really cool speaking to him on the phone, totally down to earth. I'll miss having it in my possesion but I'm glad it found such a good home.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics