•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist Spokane has a Towa 3" for sale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#26 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

I went to the first post here and clicked on Towa. Only one picture of the scope is showing and he has a link to the Space-Alberta site for more info about the scope.
Bill

#27 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

AH...I shanged computers and see the updated information now. Still no pic of his scope, but at least he has a good story this time.

One nagging question...why so cheap?

Keith

#28 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

He probably doesnt care Keith. Just like that guy with the Polarex. He knew the scope was valuable. Most people today just dont care. They just want to get rid of it. I seen a guy the other day at a flea market selling his fathers ww2 medals. For nothing! I could not believe it!
Bill

#29 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

I seen a guy the other day at a flea market selling his fathers ww2 medals. For nothing! I could not believe it!

I'm shocked. I have an Army cap, medals and funeral flag for one of my grandfathers whom I never even met, as he died before I was born. I would never consider selling them.

Keith

#30 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

If this Towa #339 is complete and in excellent condition, this guy could easily get double or triple (maybe quadruple) what he is asking for it by listing it on AM.

IMO, this is a *steal*.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#31 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hey guys...If this baby is like it's clone(except for the double ring finder) my Selsi 247 somebody had better drive over there if they can get his address. Mine is in MINT condition and I paid $79.50..and I thought I got a deal! :lol: Mike

#32 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

Well, I am placing a value on it based on two things :

1) If I was in the market for a well-corrected, vintage, long-focus, 3" achromat that comes with a good solid EQ-2 mount - what would I pay for it?

2) If I owned such a scope, what would I sell it for?

I think $200 on both counts is a fair estimate - the market is unpredictable, as are the collectors who browse it, so it could go for substantially less or much more.

It's certainly a fine scope, and I have admired it since the first time I Googled the "spacealberta" link while trying to find info about the mount.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#33 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Well, unless the seller posted actual pictures we'll never know the true condition. If I make a drive out there, I'm looking at $161 for gas (assuming $3.25 per gallon with my truck getting 15mpg). Plus the $60 the seller wants. Worth it, IMO, if it were in excellent to pristine condition, but I'd hate to drive out there and find pitted chrome and mold on the objective. Without more information, its not worth the gamble.

Keith

#34 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

He corrected the ad and added the information about the finder scope. Well if no one goes to get it it will be mine in 2 weeks. Go get it 2manyscopes , I think its a good buy
Bill

Well, like I said, I would probably not use it much. Every scope I have now gets used and I'd feel guilty letting this one lay around. Several of you guys seem interested in this one so I'll let you guys go after it.

The seller lives on the opposite side of Spokane from my location. *If* I get a spare 1/2 hour I might go by and have a look at it. I'm working some long and erratic hours at work, trying to get my garden going and regular household chores prevent me from even working on my 6" Cave refractor. I have not even unpacked the 60mm ATCO I got from John Siple about 10 days ago!
Bill

#35 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:49 PM

The seller lives on the opposite side of Spokane from my location. *If* I get a spare 1/2 hour I might go by and have a look at it.

It looked like I was going to have some spare time tomorrow morning so I contacted this guy and said I'd like to look at it. He replied that he already had an offer of $250.00 and that if this was out of my price range then I should let him know. I'm going to pass on driving up there.

One odd thing is that searching on the sellers name + Spokane via google brings up some interesting stuff. I personally don't feel good about entering into a transaction for this scope even on behalf of one of you fine folks. Good luck.
Cheers,
Bill

#36 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:43 PM

$250.....unseen... no close up pics.....ya gotta wonder....

Da Bear

#37 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

One odd thing is that searching on the sellers name + Spokane via google brings up some interesting stuff.

Hoo-wee, you ain't kiddin'.

Keith

#38 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

Oh MY God ! Google tells all...

Da Bear

#39 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

I didn't see the seller's name in the post, so I'll just have to use my imagination. :D

#40 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

I once got nosy and Googled a neighbor's name.

I was sorry I did.

Some things cannot be un-learned!

#41 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

He replied that he already had an offer of $250.00 and that if this was out of my price range then I should let him know.

I told the seller that $250 was out of my price range and was told that the $250 offer was from out of state and he preferred a local sale but he was not willing to go below $150. I told him that my interest was based on his Craigslist ad asking $60 OBO and that $150 was more telescope than I needed. So far no response.

Since the seller appears to prefer a local sale I would guess that he is being honest with respect to the condtion since a local sale would involve the buyer seeing the scope before $ changed hands. If I were the out of state buyer I would insist on more close up pictures and pay via USPS MO or credit card via Paypal or some method that offered some buyer protection.
Bill

#42 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

Here's another example of phishy photographic phakery. Notice the angle of the trailer in the 'naked eye view' picture and the angle of the trailer in the 'zoomed in tight' picture. The only thing missing is the guy's head in the reflection of the trailer's window :lol: .

http://portland.crai.../333865843.html

Keith

#43 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

:watching:

#44 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

True but those sure look unusual.

#45 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Indeed. I've never seen anything quite like 'em. I try to stay away from electronic gadgets this old, though. If the electronics go, nothing works.

Keith

#46 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

Those "cyclops" viewers show up on eBay from time to time. I think John Crilly owns one.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#47 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

I told the seller that $250 was out of my price range and was told that the $250 offer was from out of state and he preferred a local sale but he was not willing to go below $150. I told him that my interest was based on his Craigslist ad asking $60 OBO and that $150 was more telescope than I needed. So far no response.

I see that the seller changed his Craigslist ad to say $150 OBO instead of the $60 OBO he had previously listed. Is anybody here still hoping to buy this? I'm going to pass unless he drops it back to $60.
Bill :dabomb:

#48 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

He must have gotten a ton of responses and decided to up it. I won't buy it just on principle anymore anyway. I responded to a guy's Craiglist ad a while back advertising a nice Pentax scope..long story short he picked the brains of the local callers with no intent to sell (ie wasted my time and I got the long distance charges to boot), then turned around and sold it on eBay for $500. If I offer something for a price, it goes to the first person who responds AND shows up, for the same price.

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics