•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jason Telescope Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 martinsvillewx

martinsvillewx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

I have a telescope that was given to me by a friend of my mom's shortly before he passed away last year. I know very little about it and I haven't had much success trying to find information about it online, so I thought I would post my question here and see if anyone can help me.

It is a Jason Discoverer 454, model 313. F-810mm, D-60mm. That's all the information I have on it. The man who gave it to me also told her that something on it is broken, but he didn't know what. It may be a simple fix for someone who knows a lot about telescopes, but I just have no clue.

If anybody could give me some more information about this telescope and how much it might be worth, I would be very appreciative.

#2 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the classic forum and Cloudy Nights. There are a number of folks here who are more than happy to give you assistance.

You best course of action would be to post 2 or 3 photos of the scope and lens, plus additional photo's of the tripod, eyepices, box or carton, and other accessories.

A similar scope sold on eBay for around $90 (I think) earlier this year. But I don't recall if it was in good condition.

Da Bear

#3 martinsvillewx

martinsvillewx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:13 AM

I don't have any photos of it and I don't have a digital camera of any kind...but I'll see what I can do if photos are really needed. I will tell you that I don't have any extra accessories or anything of that nature, just the telescope and whatever is on it.

#4 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

Martin Where are you? It would be good to fill out your personal info If your in LA or the Valley you can call me and I will scratch up your lenses and break you focuser for you. Just kidding but someone in your town would be willing to help if one of us are in your town. Bear has lots of spare (Circle T) parts he is giving away!!! Buy only if your in Kali-Forn-Ya

#5 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

Maybe Martinsville, Va Caveman

#6 starramus

starramus

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:07 PM

Ah where is my old old Jason. At the bottom of the land fill i would imagine. I suppose that it is the focuser or the mount that is broken. Try to locate some user info and you will most certainly stumble on what is broken.

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi Martinsville,

Welcome to CN. I think I used to own that same Jason scope. I went back with Google and tried to find my old posts on it, but could not locate them.

Mine had a silver tube, black dew shield with "pin stripes" around the end of it, and a good little EQ-1 mount with wooden tripod legs. The scope was made by "Circle T" (Towa optical company in Japan) and is generally considered to have good optics in it. If your model is similar, then it has a built-in finderscope that utilizes a flip mirror to divert light from the main objective to the finder eyepiece.

If it's the same scope, it's a good little scope, but the key word here is "little". 60mm is great for the moon, bright planets like Jupiter, and some double stars, but is of limited use for deep sky objects like galaxies and nebulae - especially under typical urban light polluted skies. But, a piece of good news : if your scope has the nice metal EQ-1 mount and wooden tripod, then you have a good mount to put another scope on later. I had a 90mm Apogee short tube refractor mounted on that same vintage Towa-made EQ-1 - worked like a charm.

If you can post a photo or two of the scope, it will help us help you.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#8 martinsvillewx

martinsvillewx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Maybe Martinsville, Va Caveman

Yep, good guess!

-----

I have taken one picture of it, so hopefully that will help. If any of you need me to zoom in on a certain part of it, let me know and I will do that. Thanks again for the help!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1594122-telescope.JPG

#9 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Why is it that it seems like 50% of telescope photos have the scope aimed at the floor? am i missing something else to do with these scopes and nobody's telling me about it? :question: :question: come on guys level with me! :grin: :grin: Mike

#10 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

Mike,
It could be one of those telescope /microscope combinations :confused:
Bruce

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi Martinsville,

The scope in your photo is very very similar to the one I owned. The eyepiece on the finder has different trim on it than mine did, but otherwise it looks identical.

You have a German Equatorial mount (EQ-1), which is a small mount by today's standards, but it your's is built much better than the small EQ-1's currently manufactured in China. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the mount looks like it may have seen some neglect and/or general abuse. It may need to be cleaned up and the gears re-greased. Either way, if the mount is serviceable then you have a nice little EQ mount that can support anything up to and including a 90mm short tube refractor. (That's what I had mounted on mine at one time)

As for the scope itself - first, it's pointed at the floor. The "clamshell" or clamp which holds the scope to the mount should be positioned near the center of tube for proper balance - not all the way to front near the main objective lens as shown in the photo.

That scope uses the .965" eyepiece and accessory format - typical of older Japanese-made scopes. Eyepieces and accessories in this format are quite common on the used market and can be found cheap. (the Shop and Swap forum here on CN, AstroMart, eBay, etc) Just be sure to AVOID the sun filter that screws on to the eyepiece - this is an obsolete and DANGEROUS accessory that should never be used. If you have a small, dark, filter that says "sun" on it - smash it with a hammer and throw it away. Seriously.

If your scope is optically intact and everything is working, then 60mm will provide you with good views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn (although Saturn will be quite small) ... objects like the Pleiades and the Orion nebula are easily within the reach of a 60mm scope - although both the Pleiades and Orion are now out of season.

As far as monetary value goes - in it's current condition (which is hard to determine from the photo), I would roughly say about $100, IF, most of the accessories are present and the mount is in serviceable condition. If the lenses are scratched up, or the mount is broken, then it's worth is for parts only, which won't be much in terms of dollars.

Since the scope fell into your lap so to speak, then it may be worthwhile to keep it, clean it up, and use it for looks at the Moon. :)

If you have any other questions feel free to fire away. If you can get a closer photo of the mount and/or scope, please post it, so we can better diagnose the condition.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#12 martinsvillewx

martinsvillewx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

Why is it that it seems like 50% of telescope photos have the scope aimed at the floor? am i missing something else to do with these scopes and nobody's telling me about it? :question: :question: come on guys level with me! :grin: :grin: Mike

I didn't even think about that, lol...I turned it up like that to try and get the best picture of it.

By the way, with you and glassthrower, this brings the number of Mikes I know online to about 8. I don't think I know any in real life. I've always found that funny.

Hi Martinsville,

The scope in your photo is very very similar to the one I owned. The eyepiece on the finder has different trim on it than mine did, but otherwise it looks identical.

If you have any other questions feel free to fire away. If you can get a closer photo of the mount and/or scope, please post it, so we can better diagnose the condition.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Thank you very much for all the advice. I don't really have any interest in keeping it. I am a meteorologist, so maybe that's odd, but looking up at the stars just never has interested me. I was kind of rushed this morning when I got that picture, but I will take another one that's zoomed in more in the next couple of days when I get a chance. And not to sound completely dumb, but can you point out exactly what the eyepiece and especially the mount are, so I can take a picture of the right parts.

#13 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:15 PM

Actually i own the original copyright to Mike. The others are absolute imposters...... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: MIKE

#14 martinsvillewx

martinsvillewx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

[quote name="martinsvillewx"]And not to sound completely dumb, but can you point out exactly what the eyepiece and especially the mount are, so I can take a picture of the right parts. [/quote
If I could get an answer to this, I'll get another picture or two for you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics