•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic telescope scam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

I hope it's ok to post this but here is the latest scam I've come across. I was pretty excited and almost jumped on it, then quickly came to my senses. These people are sure getting inventive. The actual e-mail looks like a legit mailing from e-bay. If it had not been the .uk address I might have fallen for it. All of the links were correct. I contacted the real seller and confirmed it's a ruse. Naturally I forwarded it to ebay.

-----Original Message-----
To: fxxm747@aim.com
Sent: Mon, 7 May 2007 4:36 PM
Subject: Selling.Stuff.Worldwide Selling.Stuff.Worldwide@hotmail.com sent you this eBay item: Vintage Bushnell Sky Chief Telescope Set w/ Wood Box

Selling.Stuff.Worldwide Selling.Stuff.Worldwide@hotmail.com sent you this eBay item

eBay sent this message to fxxm747. eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via email. To respond to this offer please reply to the seller at this email address: Selling.Stuff.Worldwide@hotmail.com . Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid for US$ 132.90 is now available for purchase: The winner of this item got rejected due to security reasons (either he failed to follow through on the purchase commitment or outright refused to do so). Your last auctioned bid prior to being outbided is taken into consideration as eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. The selling of this item through Second Chance Offer is in compliance with eBay policy; you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction. To purchase this item please contact the seller by replying to this email address: Selling.Stuff.Worldwide@hotmail.com .

Vintage Bushnell Sky Chief Telescope Set w/ Wood Box
Current bid: US $135.40 (7 bids) (Approximately GBP 67.93)
Postage: View Item to Calculate
End date: Apr-21-07 10:47:34 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items
Find out more

Details for item number: 110114991160
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/...ADME:B:EF:US:11
Description: Very Old Bushnell "Sky Chief" Telescope Set in Original Wooden Box with Multiple Lenses & Wooden Tripod!!! (see photo below). Exactly as shown. I... See more
Post to: United States
Seller: chaz0524( 2325)
99.7% Positive Feedback
Member since Oct-15-01 in United States

Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:
http://pages.ebay.co...n/spooftutorial

This email was generated by the sender through the eBay platform because the sender thinks you are likely to be interested in this item. eBay Europe S.à r.l. takes no liability for the sending of this email and its content. If you did not authorise the sender to send you this email, you can report this message as unsolicited (spam) email so that eBay can take appropriate action against the sender. Please note that it may take up to 14 days to process your request.

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.
Privacy Policy: http://pages.ebay.co...acy-policy.html
User Agreement: http://pages.ebay.co...-agreement.html

Copyright © 2006-2007 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check Out the new free AIM® Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading spam and email virus protection.

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

Excellent info. Thanks. (Sneaky little buggers, aren't they?) And of course, beware of any eBay correspondence asking you to verify your bank account, paypal account, yada yada.

Keith

#3 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

If you read these things carefully you'll notice the content always contains poor grammer. Literally every one I've recieved in the past is this way. Inventive but not too bright! ;)

#4 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

I was pretty excited and almost jumped on it,

Well, if you still have the enthusiasm, I'll put my Bushnell up on Swap and shop first. I've got a series of items that I need to part with to make room.

Jae

#5 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

Some of these folks are very sophisticated.I fell for a eBay phisher that got my 8 year old password. Grrrrrrr. It was an embed in a posted ebay ad that was very well done.

Da Bear

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics