•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn with my Tasco 8V

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bull37

Bull37

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

Well I have to say that I think I am officialy hooked. I finally got a glimpse of saturn tonight actually watched it for about a half an hour. I am pretty sure the optics on my scope are off though because if i moved my eye to the outside of the eye piece the view got much crisper. Now I just have to get the adapter for the eyepiece that was suggested to get some better views. Also need to learn how to use the equitorial mount that is coming along a bit slowly, but at least its comming along.

#2 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:40 AM

The 8V is supposed to be a really nice little scope. I've never looked through one, unfortunately, so I don't know what it's quirks are. I know it's a Schmidt-Newtonian, so it's going to be affected by collimation -- and that *might* explain why you got more "crisp" views if you were viewing off-axis. So the first thing I'd do is check collimation... however, with that scope, it could be a bit challenging, as I think it would have to be done the 'old-fashioned' way (i.e. star test) as I don't know of *any* 24mm collimation tools out there anywhere...! Everything I've ever seen is 1.25", and you should have 0.965" unless you've changed the focuser somehow or I've lost my mind. :question:

Do you have a local club that can help you out with that?

Y'know, it *might* not be a bad idea for someone to create a set of 24mm collimation tools... especially a Cheshire for these older long-focus refractors with collimatible cells.

I ramble. :p

#3 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

You can use a 965 to 1 1/4 adapter and get close with a collimating laser.
Bill

#4 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

The only problem with that, though, is that you're introducing the possibility of some serious error with that adapter. It may or may not sit square in the focuser, may or may not be align-bored properly, may or may not hold the collimator square on... etc. I agree it's better than nothing, but I'd rather use the star test method in this case...

Tony

#5 Tarnsman

Tarnsman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

I have a 8V...Once you replace the .965 with the 1.25 adapter & use good 1.25 eyepieces that little scope comes alive with geat crisp views.....get the adapter (Vixen) that replaces the .965...If you get the slipon one you probably wont have enough focus travel.......If you want to borrow my adapter let me know....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics