•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk Surveyor's Tripod Problem (Chains)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:37 AM

This past weekend I was setting up my parallelogram mount on the OST and noticed one of the safety chain links that keeps the legs from spreading had seperated and fallen off the leg. The two other chains showed signs of stretching I will probably just replace all of them with heavier duty ones. Has anyone run into this problem with these tripods? If so what did you do to fix it? Buy or make a spreader? Replace the chains? Use steel cable?

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

I have not had that problem yet with my heavy OST. They had been used moderately with the previous user. [I bought them used] And I have not seen any signs of serious wear. Ask Kevin at Oberwerk. Maybe he could suggest something.

#3 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:21 AM

Dang Craig, what the heck you got mounted on this thing? And/or what sort of sustained winds? lol

Just kidding, sort of.... The chains never looked all that beefy to me, when I have seen them setup.

#4 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:38 AM

The chains are a little thin. I bent them back into place easily. I'll probably swage some short cables or ring-ding some chains to it. Oberwerk recommended a floor spreader be used with this tripod, but I didn't want one more piece of gear to lug around.

What do I put on it? This thing. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 168410-137504-Oberwerk.jpg

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:31 AM

I have the leg spreader. And you're right...it is one more thing to lug around, but it's extremely light. And very useful, I have found. Looking at your picture...the concrete floor won't provide any gripping if there is a heavy load as you know. You might want to reconsider the floor spreader, or constructing your own.

#6 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:41 AM

NW, I was also thinking about making one like on a CG-5 tripod so it would fold up easily and keep the legs from spreading but my last attempts at making a spreader on another tripod but it didn't turn out too good so I'm hesitant to drill holes in the Obie tripod. Is your spreader adjustable or is it a fixed size? I could make a floor spreader and see how it works. I've certainly got enough hardware lying around.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I would not be keen on drilling holes into the legs either. Yes, the leg spreader has a fixed size...and that is unfortunate because it can limit how low I can have my binos. You could make an adjustable spreader...that would be nice!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics