•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone know anything about this Spectrascope?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

I acquired this in the box with other items. Anyone know anything about it? It works with an eyepiece. It may be as old as the 1980's, but I have no idea. (I had posted it for sale on the Swap and Shop Forum here on CN, and over at Astromart). I can't find anything about it on the net.

Thanks,
Littlegreenman

Attached Thumbnails

• 1604405-MVC-704F crop small.jpg

#2 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

another angle.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1604407-MVC-705F crop small.jpg

#3 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

and one more (dust is highlighted by the digital image),inside this time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1604409-MVC-706F crop small.jpg

#4 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi, Steve. I don't know for sure, but the 'GO' printed on it makes me wonder whether it is from GOTO Kogaku, if it is a spectroscope, though the ones I've seen look much more like normal visual spectroscopes except for the 1.25 adaptor and various eyepieces. Is there more writing beneath up to AN?

Jess Tauber

#5 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hi Jess, it looks like "...PAN", like it could say Japan under those two ring type things. Very odd. Meanwhile, I posted it for sale on A-mart and have got a bunch of poker-faced people asking me the price. :john:

Well, one person offered me $30, so far. I have no idea, zero, zilch what to ask for this. Maybe I should put it up for auction and let the 'hidden hand of the marketplace' determine the price? (Usually I follow the Fernegi Rules of Acquisition, or Gordon Gecko in Wall Street!!)

Littlegreenman

#6 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:07 AM

Well, I've never seen one in person, but it looks like a Goto spectroscope with an ATMed adapter (covering Goto Japan). It is attached to one of three EPs available. Does the EP portion have one, two or three dots on it?

$30 is way too low. I'll give you $35 (lol). Realistically, with only one EP, its worth probably $75.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 1605057-Copy of spec[1].vir.1.jpg

#7 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

Wow, thanks for the info everyone! On the top picture in this thread, the left metal unpainted half unscrews, revealing some loose optical elements. That end is 1.25". If that helps. Opposite the GOTO JAPAN lettering are two tiny white dots, one on the same barrel as the lettering, one on the "nipple end" to the right of it. I also have a small little optical element about the size of a kidney bean, but symmetrically shaped. It's black on the outside. Would this be part of this system? Sorry, my computer is hinky and I can't upload pics right now.
I may play with this some more, instead of selling it. (First $76 gets it!)

LLittlegreenman

#8 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:36 AM

OK, 2 dots means this will work with a 'medium curvature instrument' 3" and under on magnitude 1 to 3 stars.

I'd be interested in it when you are ready to sell it.

Oh, btw I think this goes back to at least the 50's, although this unit might be newer.

Also, do you see any other items in 'the box' that might be the other two EPs? There were three total interchangeable EPs with the entire system.

Keith

#9 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:43 AM

Hey, you guys think anyone was mesmerized into a Pacific Rim trip by the writing: GO TO JAPAN ?? Kinda like a high tech fortune cookie? Keith San? Steve San?

Jess (watakushiwa) Tauber

#10 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hey, you guys think anyone was mesmerized into a Pacific Rim trip by the writing: GO TO JAPAN ?? Kinda like a high tech fortune cookie? Keith San? Steve San?

Jess (watakushiwa) Tauber

watakhushiwa??

LGM

#11 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

A self-deprecating form of the first person approximately (according to what I've been told) meaning 'this little particle'. In many languages (though NOT European ones, generally), one avoids, in conversation, any hint that one thinks of oneself in terms higher than the one spoken to (less often, of). One might call oneself one, or he, or she, or it, or this, etc.

In our 'me, myself, and I' culture, such self-effacing efforts might be considered nonsensical, but such cultural/linguistic clashes have led to many unfortunate episodes, historically.

Jess Tauber

#12 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

trainsktg
PM sent.

#13 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Stephen.

watakhushiwa??

Gaijin (like me) find this concept a little 'foreign'.

Keith :lol:

#14 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Konnichiwa Minna,

A Goto Kogaku Star Spectroscope Mini-review:

Here is a quick update on the Goto spectroscope I purchased from Steven Lynn (Littlegreenman).

Mechanical: This item is indeed a Goto 'Star Specroscope'. The large silver 1.25" portion is apparently a regular Ramsden eyepiece, with the slight modification of having the 'eye lens' (found by unscrewing the sliver part from the black) slightly thicker than one would normally find. From what I've read this cylindrical lens apparently assists in the spectrum separation. Within the black thinner portion resides the 5 amici prisms that split the spectrum into its widest separation. The prisms are cemented together to prevent reflections. The little black cap at the end where you look is the interchangeable portion. From the factory, three caps were supplied with each spectroscope, each cap optimized for specific focal ratios, although I'm not sure why or how this is done. The apparently ATMed black ring that has been placed over the GOTO JAPAN lettering has been glued in place, and seems to help with turning the device during observation. I wouldn't have done it, but it can't be removed now.

Optical: Since there is no 'slit' in a visual spectroscope of this type, whatever object you are obtaining a spectrum from needs to approximate a point source as closely as possible to prevent muddying the spectrum signature. Presumably, a person needs very steady atmosphere to get the best results. This unit was initially tested on a variety of objects in my 2.4" f15 Sears refractor including Saturn, Venus, Arcturus and the Moon. All except the Moon exhibited a beautiful thin spectrum line from violet to red across the entire field of view, with pure black above and below. Some objects showed more red and orange, some almost all blue with just a hint of the other colors. The Moon, not being a point source, merely exhibited a wash of unresolvable red and orange as expected. The literature says under good conditions this unit is powerful enough to split the double sodium line, but because seeing at the time wasn't too steady, I wasn't able to discern any absorbtion lines with certainty. Further evaluation with different apertures and focal lengths remain to be done, but I was for the most part very happy with the first round of tests.

Overall impressions: This Goto Star Spectroscope is an interesting novelty piece that provides for very satisfying and educational visual observations. It is totally unsuitable for photography. Its compact size doesn't take up any more space than a B/TMB Planetary EP. The machining and finish are top notch. I'd recommend one if you think you might be interested in this sort of observing experience.

Arigato Gozaimashita,

Keith

#15 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

Well at least it again has a place with someone who will appreciate what he has and knows how to use it. Hate to see this oddball stuff sitting in a cabinet collecting dust. :grin:Mike

#16 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

AND its the one type of ep that one ENJOYS the extra color in, even with an achromat!

Jess Tauber

#17 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

Indeed! :lol:

Keith

#18 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Welllll, as is wont with all the other Goto items I have bought recently, this one too seems to have yet another mystery in need of solving...

Keith (Sorry for the tease. I'll keep everyone posted as soon as new developments come in.)

#19 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:15 PM

Send it to me Keith and I will do my best to figure it out.
Ps, dont forget to pack up the scope also.
Bill :wavey:

#20 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hi Bill... :lol:

OK, I just figured out this little piece of information...the silver portion of this spectroscope is actually a separate piece of equipment. It is a Goto Ramsden 1.25" EP. Apparently in addition to purchasing the spectroscope, a person also had to buy an EP. I was unable to find a picture of their 1.25" EPs, but this piece matches the description of one appearing in an Astromart advertisment. The picture that was with the ad is unfortunately no longer in the Amart archives, but the description cinches it. Steven has inadvertently saved me the trouble of also hunting down a GOTO EP. Fortunate, too, considering I couldn't even locate an image of one! Whew. It seems a person took the eyepiece, screwed off the eye cup and installed the spectroscope via the 'eyepiece mounting screw cap' (see instructions I posted earlier).

But...this is is only part of the new information. Another mystery yet remains. Oy.

Keith

#21 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

"Goto" is Japanese for mystery! ;)

#22 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

And what pray tell is 'Oy' Japanese for, eh??

Jess Tauber

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics