•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CAVE ALERT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

Why are there so many of these in the great north west Bill Soogy Cave :confused:

#2 JohnG

JohnG

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Sure wish there were more available my area, east Texas. I'd love to have one of these old telescopes near enough to go inspect and maybe carry home in my truck.

Cave, Optical Craftsmen, StarLiner, Criterion, Unitron, all these were the telescopes of choice in my younger years and I well remember the advertisements in Sky and Telescope.

#3 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

PM sent

#4 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

Well I didnt have time this morning to say this but I dont think I would like a 10" without rotating rings Even with rotating ring my F8 10" is a hand full. John where is cedar creek texas I might know where a cave is for you to put in your truck. But it is a real cave a 1962 F6 10" was floating around for sale but due to its age being a deluxe and the mirror it wasnt $700! I will check. I just sold a 1979 10" and I have a 1965 10" Both are very cool dont get me wrong but I will tell you one thing they might as well have come from 2 different companies. All The parts, The gel coat tube and the excelent mirror on the 65 Are what made cave a legend!

#5 2manyscopes

2manyscopes

Mariner 2

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Why are there so many of these in the great north west Bill Soogy Cave :confused:

I think you see more Cave scopes in your neck of the woods. I have only seen 5 Cave scopes in Eastern, WA during the last 12 years. One was a sad little 6" f/4 that sat outside in the weeds for atleast 10 years. The tube was completely delaminated and looked like a spider web gone wrong. The owner hoped the mirror was still good but someone had literally used steel wool to strip off the coating. Thinking back on it, I believe it had a rare CARLE focuser on it. Besides that and the rear cell it had no redeeming qualities.

Depending on traffic it is a 4-6 hour drive to Seattle or Portland for me. With gas prices I would have to get a pretty darn good deal on a scope to make the trip.

I'm holding out for a 16" to 18" Cave to fall in my lap! I'm also trying to get my hands on an original Henry Fitz 10" refractor that I know of. 7" Fitz refractor.
Bill

#6 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Vanguard

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

I'm holding out for a 16" to 18" Cave to fall in my lap!

That'll leave a mark. :tonofbricks:

#7 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hold on, hold on. The guy has owned the scope since early adulthood and now the wife says 'it needs to go'...say whaaaat? Something is wrong in that household. My wife would never tell me that. Say it with me...'b-r-i-b-e'. Pay her in cash whatever you also pay for a scope. She will encourage you to shop, or at least not give you too hard a time about it when you do. I slipped her some cash tonight, she didn't even ask. Just put it in her purse.

Now, the real question is...in my house, who has trained who? :smirk:

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics