•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SEARS /TASCO VS UNITRON

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#26 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

John,
If you would be so kind. I would like opinion of the Sears 75mm f/15 in comparison to other scopes of it day.
Thank you
Bill

#27 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

I guess we will have to go with Mr. Hapsburg :getem: He is the only one I know with this many scopes under his belt. Like I said 4" Unitrons are still around and for sale now and again! But soon they will go the way of the Big Tascos and Sears scope and be locked away for sale in the 10s of thousands of dollars in 20 years. I will still say this about the 4" 152 it is the funest mount I own very easy to use and well balanced.. And the sexiest scope every made. If you want good optics buy a new Tak 130" or like a WO 80mm fl or any other high dollar new refractor will blow any of these classic refractors away sorry but that the way it is. CAVE Mirrors are a different story.... Clint

Attached Thumbnails

• 1610995-CaveUnitron.jpg

#28 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

I am going to look thru my cruddy ol Cave at Saturn

#29 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

One other thing someone asked Sears 76mm F15s AKA 618 refractors were Carton telescope I have two one sears and one Sans & Striefe they Have a circle C on them.... All the tascos I have sat Circle T

#30 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Clint,
You have some really beautiful looking scopes there. And I can appreciate all the hours of hard work you put into them. They are spectacular!
Bill

#31 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

Bill,

You live in a beautiful part of the country.... 20 years ago, I used to drive past the delaware water gap and then north to upstate new york often.

Btw....I just got a Polarex/Unitron 75 and between my Tasco 15TE and a Towa 80mm, optically I'd go along with Lenny and some others and guess it's pretty close all around. It would take some time to really crank it through a set of tests. Mechanics are definitely more substantial on the Unitron but the Towa ota is pretty close...not the mount however. To get it even optically though, I had to flock esp. my Tasco and to a lesser degree the Towa to get the contrast up to the stock Unitron. That goes for the 60mm too. Tasco 7TE-5 needs the drawtube flocked before it can deliver the kind of contrast that stock Unitron 60mm delivers. Afterwards though I might give the 7TE-5 a slight edge with it's longer f ratio.

Jae

#32 bendab

bendab

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

Bill,
It's SHAD FISHING time in the Delaware.May have to make a trip with my son to the Milford bridge.after the weather clears.Maybe I should bring a scope just in case the fish don't bite ?
Bruce
Bruce

#33 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

Bottom line gang......
It's all about having fun with this hobby, huh!!!
Life don't get any better than this!!!

#34 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

I had to flock esp. my Tasco and to a lesser degree the Towa to get the contrast up to the stock Unitron. That goes for the 60mm too. Tasco 7TE-5 needs the drawtube flocked before it can deliver the kind of contrast that stock Unitron 60mm delivers. Afterwards though I might give the 7TE-5 a slight edge with it's longer f ratio.

Jae

Hi Jae,

I'm currently working on a 7TE-5 as well. What are you going to use to flock the scope? :question:

#35 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

If it is a Tasco I would use tar and feathers and ride it out of town on a rail, (Crow feathers work the best) :yay: :refractor: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Hey I am working on one of these to! I like the plastic ring spacer they used in the objective. Cool

#36 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

I would use tar and feathers and ride it out of town on a rail, (Crow feathers work the best) :yay: :refractor: :thankyou: :thankyou:

That explains everything! I was using chicken feathers! :foreheadslap:

#37 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

I find Goose feathers work best!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#38 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hi Preston,

Well, next time I'll try feathers dipped in tar.... :roflmao:

Actually, what I did was cut flock paper from protostar or equivalent and roll it to perfect diameter and right length, unscrew the eyepiece holder and slide it in to the focusing tube. I can actually use the same one and move it from the 7TE-5 to the 10TE/15TE as they use the same focuser. It's really a huge improvement as most of the glare is in the focuser as whatever paint they used got older and shiny.

If you really want, you can do the same thing for the rest of the tube. I only do it where you see some glare looking through the focusing end at a bright light source.

As an added trick sometimes I cut off the paper backing a tiny amount at the ends only and have that stick. I just found it too messy to try to get it to stick all the way easily so I leave the paper on. However,for the Tasco focuser, thinner is better if you are trying to take advantage of the maximum fov using 1.25 30+mm eyepieces.

Btw, I tried flat paint but it wasn't working as well and it gets tricky.

Hope this helps.

Jae

#39 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Sent you a pm.
Bill

#40 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Yeah real nice down here. Looking at farms in Southern Va on the N. Carolina border, Gonna winter down there and summer up here in a couple years.
I think all of these scopes are pretty good.
Bill

#41 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hey guys . I have been reading the thread and to add my perspective on the matter ...

I believe the majority of Japanese scopes of the era due to the manufactureres unrelenting quality control were amazing. I agree and trust John Siple's expert opinions and overall comment about the quality of Tasco and Sears scopes over the years ( hats off to John and his articles, as his research and ability to source infomation has not only assisted the hobby overall, he has also spurred the continued interest in the preservation of these classic scopes). Lenny I believe has also been able to compare optical performances.

My own experience is that I have been fortunate to have ownerhip of 3 Astro Optical Ind Co,. Ltd scopes; the 80mm 76mm and a 60mm f20. Recently I also have been able to take ownership of a 75mm and 60 mm Unitron. Although I do not consider myself a collector, I use each scope for a particular purpose. The Unitrons I bought as I wanted to know for myself what the talk was all about

All the Astro..' scopes are amazing optically and mechanically. Optically images are tack sharp and absolute minumum colour on high mag' and no sphericity as far as I can discern. Resolution on all is amazing as I can see detail that one is supposed to see with larger scopes.

In terms of overall mechanics and user friendliness, the Unitrons are better, (mounts, focussers, tolerances) and more portable (lighter ). The Astro's however beat the Unitrons in terms of Optical performance although the 60mm F15 Unitron comes close to the 60mm F20 Astro

I don't know if one can in fact properly compare. Overall I would say that both Astro optical and Unitron complement what the other lacks. However its what you make of the hobby and what fundamentally pleases you ...I for one and my family and friends, that have used all so far, have enjoyed them.

Steve

#42 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:40 AM

I had a close to mint 1958 to 1960 Nikon 5 Cm EQ fall in my Lap today So now I can truely say that all these other scopes :bawling: Get a life get a Nikon!!!! Lets start another thread Nikons rule and there impossible to find so never mind!!!! Truly guys I have only got to mess with it tonight but MY GOD the glass in this thing is as perfect as I have seen Breath taking views of the moon tonight and Saturn. All the glass is spotless. The second you look you know there somthing special in the glass. It reminds me of my Tak but way smaller,,, Total chance some lady gave it to me She would not take any money for it WOW!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1612975-NikonInCase.jpg

#43 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Total chance some lady gave it to me She would not take any money for it WOW!!!

I hope you offered to mow her lawn for the next few decades. :smirk:

Keith

#44 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

She said she was a bunch of old friends at JPL and she is going to start colecting old scope for the Stars in the park program....

#45 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

:funny:
-
See, I had both so I can make a judgement as I did yesterday in another thread. A friend of mine has a Carton refractor. I will be looking at his when I get together at his place for a summper star party at his place. My Unitron is going there too, so it'll be a great side/by/side comparison of optics, mounts, etc. That particular star party thread is ongoing via this thread BEOTS (Buckeye On The Sky) star party in Lodi, Ohio.

Lenny; Id like you to take a look at my 90mm f16.6 Parallax while your at it.Think you could do that???.

#46 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

Andy
Can you post a picture of your Parallax - I am wondering if it is the one of the 90mm scopes John Siple has been searching for.

Steve

#47 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Steve ; I can take more but this is it so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1616656-a965.jpg

#48 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

Joe ; at Parallax, says it has a Vixen research grade lens in it, and it gives razor sharp images on the moon and Saturn.
Oh and its a 90mm f/16.6

#49 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:42 AM

That is Fantastic!

I have never seen one like this!!

Can you post more

Steve

#50 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

heres another

Attached Thumbnails

• 1618708-Picture 027BB.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics