•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

'Modern' Unitron Eyepieces

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

Since we're on the subject of 1.25" and Unitron...

I have several Unitron-branded eyepieces that are 1.25". They look EXACTLY like the classic conical-topped eyepieces sold by Celestron, UO, and so many others in the 80's and 90's (and even still today).

My question is -- are they of the same manufacture? They don't appear to be of any better (or any worse) quality than those same classic Orthos and Kellners from that era, and I assume any value would be strictly collector value and not because they are premium eyepieces.

Thanks --

#2 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

Since we're on the subject of 1.25" and Unitron...

I have several Unitron-branded eyepieces that are 1.25". They look EXACTLY like the classic conical-topped eyepieces sold by Celestron, UO, and so many others in the 80's and 90's (and even still today).

My question is -- are they of the same manufacture? They don't appear to be of any better (or any worse) quality than those same classic Orthos and Kellners from that era, and I assume any value would be strictly collector value and not because they are premium eyepieces.

Thanks --

My guess is that these eyepieces are no better or worse than other similar eyepieces of the time and are most probably made by the same makers. As far as collecting value goes, the Unitron label does add value, but not performance. Truth be known, f/15 refractors don't really need premium eyepieces do produce nice images! :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics