•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Score one for the home team!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Now that the auction is closed, it's safe to share and gloat a little bit. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=290116969894

I told the seller I want any other Sears stuff that comes with that scope, including the mount and manuals/box if it has it all. The Simmons and Meade scopes are just ballast in the deal. If this Sears is one of the "good" ones (you folks let me know!), then I am keeping it for sure. It appears to be an Alt-Az from the mounting brackets on the tube.

Any opinions on the Simmons? The Meade and the Simmons are both made in Taiwan. Which is mid-late 90's as I understand it - post Japan era but pre-China. From what I have seen, the Taiwan stuff of this vintage is not that great, although not as bad as the "Made in Korea" stuff I have seen from this period.

Ok, and check out the sellers other auction with two old Tasco OTA's. I am the current high bidder, but I am not really interested in winning that one now that I have the Sears. If someone wants to take it out from under me, there won't be any hard feelings. ;)

Clear classic skies,

MikeG

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Good score, good score.

If nothing else, these OTAs might be good for ATMing some tripods and giving them out as outreach, much like Clint is doing. The EPs will definitely round out a person's Sears EP collection...hard to miss those in the dark.

The Sears is an alt-az. Like you, I have no info on the Simmons or Meade.

Keith (How'd I miss this auction?)

#3 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

Congrats Mike!

You would have had it for a lot less if I knew that was you earlier......:foreheadslap:

For the record, I am interested in the Tascos. :watching:

#4 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hey Mike,

Check the other scopes. :thinking: If by any chance the objective in one of them is 63.5mm I would like to talk with you off-line. I have an Edmund Optics 63.5mm objective that is just a little bit too large for the lens cells that I currently have.

It would be fun to see something else get lost in transit from your place to mine! :rofl2:

#5 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

For the record, I am interested in the Tascos. :watching:

Let me clarify, I'm interested in the model #9-TE (700mm); I'm not really interested in the model #9-F(800mm). So the same thing would apply as aforementioned by Mike if someone else was interested in the Model #9-F.

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

:lol:

I had no idea that was you Preston. In fact, I had placed my max bid and walked away from the auction. I wasn't even paying attention to it when it closed - I forgot and was outside smoking a cigar. When I came back in, you had bid it up to 30 cents under my high bid! If you had bid $51.97 or $52.00, you would have foiled me.

I found the 9TE interesting as well. I was most interested in the Sears, the 9TE and a Selsi that went in the seller's first auction. (the seller actually had 3 of these multiple-OTA auctions going) ... I lost the Selsi, but I won the Sears. So I am happy. If I get the 9TE, I will put it up against the Sears and see which one is "best" and keep it. If I win the 9TE and decide to sell it, you can have first dibs on it at cost. I think my max bid on the 9TE is about $36.00 - so it's up for grabs past that, I'm not going any higher. :)

Gotta run....more later..

MikeG

#7 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

:lol:

I had no idea that was you Preston. In fact, I had placed my max bid and walked away from the auction. I wasn't even paying attention to it when it closed - I forgot and was outside smoking a cigar. When I came back in, you had bid it up to 30 cents under my high bid! If you had bid $51.97 or $52.00, you would have foiled me.
MikeG

Looks like we had about the same value in our heads! My walkaway was 51.66! :roflmao:

#8 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Isn't there some saying about great minds thinking alike?

:silly:

The seller contacted me and says he has the manuals, mount and accessories for the Sears. The mount is an Alt-Az, but I wanted it anyway to make the scope kit as complete as possible. (I love old GEMs) Now I am playing wait and see with the other auction. I'm anxious to give the little green Sears a tryout.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

Keith (How'd I miss this auction?)

I have no idea. I thought for sure one of the CN Classics regulars was going to jump on these. Well, there are still two Tascos up for grabs at this point. :poke:

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#10 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

I had this on my watch list as well, the seller had some others as well. I didn't follow up on those either. Best quess is there are some really good objectives in that bundle. Woo Hoo!

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

I see Preston scored the Tascos! :waytogo:

You know, that red tube tasco can be used as a long-focus 60mm 45-degree finderscope. Leave the flip mirror open into the light path and you have the light from the 60mm objective illuminating the finder which is positioned at 45 degrees from the tube. I think the magnification is 8x or 10x. Not sure what the TFOV of the finder is though.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#12 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

I see Preston scored the Tascos! :waytogo:

MikeG

Got the Mayflower too! :jump:

At least two of the three scopes are going to be used for military personnel and their families at local star watches for a while. I occasionally sell some of these to the families that show the most interest and will take care of these tender, old friends! :yay:

#13 mnpd

mnpd

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

I had that auction in my Watch list, and nearly bid on it. But, the price got too rich for 60mm's. But glad you got 'em!

If my count is right, I now have 12 60mm OTA's... just bought 3 more tubes off eBay for $10 apiece. Maybe I need my head examined!

#14 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

OOOOHHHH!!!! So it was you that out bid me!!!!!! JERK!!!!!! :lol: No really I did bid, but then realized my wife would kill me when the scope arrived!! So thank you!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :)

#15 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:16 PM

OOOOHHHH!!!! So it was you that out bid me!!!!!! JERK!!!!!! :lol: No really I did bid, but then realized my wife would kill me when the scope arrived!! So thank you!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :)

Everyone gets a chance to take their turn with the spouse.:throwveg:

I'm getting my sleeping bag fluffed up so I can quickly head out to sleep in the garage after I tell my wife! :step:

#16 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

I failed this time to get prior approval from the CFO! So after I bid I started to think BIG MISTAKE,BIG!!! Gee how was I going to explain this one! So next time I will get CFO approval for a telescope and specific amount for said scope. Well till next time. :)

#17 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:23 AM

But I was the second highest bidder Preston snuck in and stole it from me for $2 more Good job dude And thank I needed it like a hole in my headCaveman have many hole in head already

#18 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

But I was the second highest bidder Preston snuck in and stole it from me for $2 more Good job dude And thank I needed it like a hole in my headCaveman have many hole in head already

Sorry Clint! Hey, I know, I'll give you the Mayflower for keeps if you let me have the Nikon for 8 years then I'll send it back - Deal? :choochoo:

#19 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

Sorry Clint! Hey, I know, I'll give you the Mayflower for keeps if you let me have the Nikon for 8 years then I'll send it back - Deal? :choochoo:

:funny: :lol: :lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#20 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

I just dawned on me that we are the bigest buying force of these we should drw straws as to who gets them and not bid each other up Sorry preston I didnt know yo wanted it That why Im ClintWhitman

#21 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

We could corner and control the vintage scope market! :mrevil:

So, if we all coordinate our bidding, can we drop the going price for 3" and 4" Unitrons to around $250?

#22 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

I just dawned on me that we are the bigest buying force of these we should drw straws as to who gets them and not bid each other up Sorry preston I didnt know yo wanted it That why Im ClintWhitman

What's really interesting is that MikeG and I bumped heads a few days back and we were only a few cents off. Just like you and me. I think that really sends a clear signal that we are well aware of the current value of these scopes. And a tour de force......

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics