•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

eBay - Vintage Monolux 60mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

Monolux Vari-Power on eBay

#2 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

It looks like it's been painted. I have one and it still has its original paint - silver.

Nice optics metal lens cell, coated. I wouldn't spend $70 plus shipping for it though.....

I think the seller has had the scope for sale a couple of times already - no one is biting.

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

I owned the Mayflower variant of this same scope. The only difference is the Mayflower has a white tube. The optics are quite sharp, but not very contrasty. I tried using .965" eyepieces in it (the diameter of the drawtube is non-standard and smaller than .965", but a .965" ep top will thread onto the end of the Vari-Power drawtube) - but none would come to focus.

The yolk mount is a little awkward for nighttime use - pointing to the zenith is impossible.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#4 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

Mike,
on that new Micronta I have, the click stop terrestrial erector looks like part of the tube, and has threads as you describe to receive the .965 eyepiece. Could that be the Varipower part of your Mayflower? Maybe someone messed with the guts of it.

This is what the click zoom looks like on mine

Attached Thumbnails

• 1620433-DSCN0144.jpg

#5 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

I tried using .965" eyepieces in it (the diameter of the drawtube is non-standard and smaller than .965", but a .965" ep top will thread onto the end of the Vari-Power drawtube) - but none would come to focus.
MikeG

The vari-power scopes have a shorter focal length then the actual length of the tube. If you dissasemble the focuser you will find a lens further up in the scope. That is where the actual focal point is.

I'll tell you what I'm-a-gonna-do (Carol has inspired me with with her ATM prowess.....) :smash:

I will take my Monolux and convert it into a 1.25 eyepiece scope. This will involve measuring the focal length, cutting the tube and purchasing an inexpensive focuser from the mighty Surplus Shed (actually I think I may have on - have to check the astro box). In addition, I will blacken the tube and maybe add a baffle or two. Finally, I will add two screws to the side of the tube so I can mount it on my Meade "push-to" mount. This would be great for a kid's scope at a starwatch! :yay:

What do you think? :question:

#6 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

What a great idea, Preston! I can't think of a better use for all those "Good" but not treasured classic scopes... fix them up, and give them new life...

Prowess.... Well not excactly, tho my husband pokes his head into my corner of the work room and calls me "astronomess...."

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Carol,

The Vari-Power extension tube looks the same on your scope as it did on my Mayflower - but your eyepiece end looks bigger and different. I think the diameter of my drawtube was exactly .965" like the barrel of an eyepiece. A .965" ep would not fit into it, but if I removed the top of a .965" ep, it would thread on in place of the stock Mayflower ep. But it would not reach focus. I tried this with the internal barlow element in place and without.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#8 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

Prowess.... Well not excactly, tho my husband pokes his head into my corner of the work room and calls me "astronomess...."

Wow! that's what my wife says when she walks into my workshop! But the pronunciation is a little different. She says What an astrono-mess! (clean it up if you want supper!) :rofl2:

#9 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Ah, you lucky dude, a WHOLE workshop to yourself!!??? I share a corner of the bass player's "music room" with 3 custom basses, two guitars, a couple of crate amps and a rowing machine...

#10 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:56 PM

It took me 20 years to get a woodshop (former garage) together that I now hardly have time to spend in. Isn't that real irony?

BTW - Here's a picture of a Spiratone 400mm lens from the 70s that I got on Ebay for about $13. I took a Surplus shed 68mm objective and put it inside the gutted camera lens. It uses the original focuser on the lens. Made a small piece in the back out of Corian and (tada) PIZZA SCOPE! I let kids and adults touch this all they want - even at outdoor pizza parties. I just clean it with a damp rag and throw it back in the original case!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1622497-surrogate 1 compressed.jpg

#11 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

Someone has put a bid on the scope. That's a lot of money for a not-so-lot of scope. :ohmy:

#12 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

Boy, you aint kidding! I sold my Mayflower waaaaaaaaay too cheap if this Monolux is worth that!

I think I sold my Mayflower for about $30 - which was in much better condition and included the original box.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#13 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

I got mine about a year ago for $17 with $13 for shipping. We'll see how good a scope it becomes after I convert it (see above).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics